Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Can you believe what he's asking for this?

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:34 AM

Can you believe what he's asking for this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123

He doesn't mention if it runs, so I assume it doesn't.

$6,000? The car is worth barely a tenth of that. It's a parts car.
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Aside from the easily correctable body issues, it looks like it may be in better shape than mine was, since it's not rusty, but mine was $900, and driven every day by the PO.

I could imagine $1,000 if it's really an AZ car and you could get it running.

The "doing a favor for a friend" thing is a red flag, though, especially for a car that's obviously in some sort of an impound or auction lot.

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Too much is too much!

Some people sure think their car is worth a lot more than others do. There is guy near here, trying to sell a stripped down '67 Delta 88 convertible. The car is a rusty rolling shell.
The bumpers are off, the interior is stripped and the engine is out. He is asking $4,500 for it.
I was able to purchase a running '67 Delta 88 convertible parts car for only $700.

P1000665sm.jpg

Last edited by Jaybird; November 27th, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Certifiable car addict...

He probably is trying to help a friend. One that had enough "disposable income" to Donk out a classic convertible. Now his finances have become "unavailable" and he probably needs money for one of them high-fallootin legal types to get him outa the "3 hots & a cot" routine.

My guess is that it was damaged in one of the following:
A - Gang dispute
B - Police chase
C - Domestic issue
D - All of the above?

Just from seeing the color/wheels/steering wheel/redone interior, I would never want to own this car, as the first time any K-9 unit got near it, it might get impounded again.

The asking price is probably well below what the owner sank into it for the original work, but still, in the condition it's in now, he's going to be lucky to get 25% of that, UNLESS someone of a similar profession sees it and figures most of the work has already been done, so why not?

If anyone is near this thing, go check it out. See if there's any bullet holes in it, or hidden compartments...

MY big red flag on his one is the red bandana hanging from the mirror. Makes you wonder if it was a true Blood member's car. Yet another reason to stay the hell away from it.

-Jeff

Last edited by GTI_Guru; November 27th, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
Just from seeing the color/wheels/steering wheel/redone interior, I would never want to own this car
Believe it or not, those are the colors my car came from the factory with.

MY big red flag on his one is the red bandana hanging from the mirror.
Yeah. I didn't want to say anything about that, because we don't have any of that crap around here, and I'm never sure whether it's real in other parts of the country, or just "TV and movies" stuff. Looked awfully conspicuous, though, and didn't seem to go with the rest of the "decor."

My guess is that this guy bought it at a Po-lice auction (note the layer of dust on the seats - it's been siting just like that for a long time) and is trying to flip it quick. Probably can't say it runs 'cause it gots no keys .

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Maybe the hidden compartments are still full....that would explain the asking price.

$6500 is just plan ridiculous....makes you wonder what the reserve is. The wheels and tires cost more than the whole car is worth, I'm sure.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yeah. I didn't want to say anything about that, because we don't have any of that crap around here, and I'm never sure whether it's real in other parts of the country, or just "TV and movies" stuff. Looked awfully conspicuous, though, and didn't seem to go with the rest of the "decor."

- Eric
Not around here either thankfully, but I have had friends live in major cities all across the states, and yes, it is very real unfortunately.

Close friend that used to live in LA in the mid '90's got routed off onto surface streets from the freeway due to a wreck at one point. Would up in the compton/watts area in a classic porsche speedster. She just put the hammer down and got out of there as fast as she could after 2 almost immediate attempts of groups of thugs heading her way at stop signs/lights. Figured she'd try and attract some attention of law enforcement by speeding heavily, but none were around to even notice it. Go figure.

If I were the seller of this car, I would have at least taken the bandana down before taking the pics, lest someone recognize the car and who it may have belonged to previously. If he's clueless on things like this, it may cause him some problems he never imagined when he bought it hoping to make a few bucks.

-Jeff
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

She just put the hammer down and got out of there as fast as she could after 2 almost immediate attempts of groups of thugs heading her way at stop signs/lights.
Back in the '90s, when I worked late in bad parts of NYC, the unspoken nighttime rule was "all red lights are stop signs." You would never actually stop the car, and would go around anybody who did stop. People would walk right up to the car and stick a gun in your ear if you gave them a chance.
Cops'd stop you if you DID stop at a light, as it constituted suspicious behavior.

Wasn't a gang thing, though, just the way of the times - no organization to it, all freelance.

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
L69

Wow, I guess we should ask for $1,000,000 for our L69's
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
L69

Assuming we are going by the 10x price philosophy
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Probably no title either.

I'd give $300, donate the block and crankshaft to a more worthy cause ......and then derby it.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Geez, I'll take $15,000 for my '74.