Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

FREE Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM

FREE Delta 88

Hey all
I 'm offering up a free Olds to a deserving enthusiast. The town nuisance officer has been bugging us. So I've had to give away some cars we had packed away over the years. After having made significant progress the olds is ripe for picking. Yes I could get a couple bucks from the scrapyard but that's not what the hobby's about, is it?

Up for grabs is a loaded 1980 Delta 88 4 dr with a Diesel. The car has only about 65K on it if I remember correctly. I think the glow plugs and the relay are missing. But otherwise it's all there. There is virtually no rust on the car. However a large tree had fallen on it last year and stoved in the roof. The front clip is good as is the rear.

So if anybody can get there and pull it away within the next week or so it's yours free of charge. Located in Southwestern CT.

EDIT: I saw further down someone inquiring about an aluminum hood. This car has one....

Thanks for looking.
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02097.jpg (101.7 KB, 104 views)
DSC02098.jpg (108.9 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by cosmikdebris; November 14th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: update info
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"town nuisance officer"?

Glad I don't live in CT.

I'd normally say something critical about that pre-crushed car here, but I can't possibly say anything bad about a free car .

- Eric
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Around here, if you throw a car cover over it - they leave you alone!
But they won't tell you that.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM

If a tree falls in a forest on an Oldsmobile, & no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by MDchanic

"town nuisance officer"?

- Eric
sounds aptly named

many towns around here have a similar ordinnance only 1 unregistered vehicle blah blah and even then cant be visible from the road etc one towns bylaw even mentions you cant just cover it.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Around here, if you throw a car cover over it - they leave you alone!
But they won't tell you that.

Not Here in Plano,il they changed the rules because of my junk. The city here was harassing me about my cars, I found a exemption for antique vehicles in the city rule book. That worked for about 3 months. Then they just took out the exemption.
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
If a tree falls in a forest on an Oldsmobile, & no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Absolutely!! The car horn goes off and it sounds like "AWWWNNNNNNNN, $$$$$HHHHHHITTT!" Then the tree bursts into flames and is banished to the nether regions of hell.
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM

they are trying to pass an ordinance in our county to keep people like me (7 miles from town) from having this stuff laying around. they want me to build a fence 8 foot high. if it passes i will be in trouble because i am not going to build a fence. i will fight it to the end if they do. i am a pre existing business so i should be able to get around the ordinance.
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
they are trying to pass an ordinance in our county to keep people like me (7 miles from town) from having this stuff laying around. they want me to build a fence 8 foot high. if it passes i will be in trouble because i am not going to build a fence. i will fight it to the end if they do. i am a pre existing business so i should be able to get around the ordinance.
answer is simple.... build an 8 foot fence, out of cars LOL
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
Not Here in Plano,il they changed the rules because of my junk. The city here was harassing me about my cars, I found a exemption for antique vehicles in the city rule book. That worked for about 3 months. Then they just took out the exemption.
Pre-existing. They can't change the rules just to make you change. You have had the cars longer than the rule was in place. So long as you don't pick up any more "strays" they legally shouldn't be able to touch you.

It's kinda like the old law that Illinois had on window tinting. Because the law was enacted in 1981 they couldn't make anyone that had it remove it, but any car newer than 1980 legally couldn't have it installed. Also because you can't prove by looking at it when it was installed, all cars 1980 and older were exempt from the law.

I have a friend in Schaumburg that told me they finally got rid of that law 2 or 3 years ago so anyone can tint their windows now.
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Good luck with that Eric, I hope you win! Lots of times there are grandfather clauses built into ordinances just to be fair. If they decide to be jerks about it, make them build the fence and pay for it.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
"I reckon so!"

If I was near by I would come get it.

Any chance of free shipping?
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I could use some parts off it.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Originally Posted by Allan R
Absolutely!! The car horn goes off and it sounds like "AWWWNNNNNNNN, $$$$$HHHHHHITTT!" Then the tree bursts into flames and is banished to the nether regions of hell.
LOL, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Absolutely!! The car horn goes off and it sounds like "AWWWNNNNNNNN, $$$$$HHHHHHITTT!" .....

That's the same sound they (at least the '82) make in the middle of the night when it gets cold out too. From the plastic steering wheel shrinking.

Car's still there. Maybe for another week.

Not parting out or shipping anything. Just bring a trailer and take the whole thing... FREE
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

FUNNY.

I distinctly remember a winter night, when the temp was about -4 degrees Fahrenheit.

At about 3:30 A.M. some a$$ wouldn't stop honking the horn outside.

After about 10 minutes of me trying to ignore it, and all the neighbors staring out their window.......It was my Delta.

Everyone got to see me run out in my under roos, rip the horn button off of the wheel, and throw it into the front yard.

At that temperature it took me a total of about 20 seconds. Most of that was unlocking the door.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
1974 DELTA 88

That's crazy. Good thing I relocated the horn button on mine I guess...(temporarily, just wanted a horn til I can re-wire the wheel mounted button)

This will be our first winter together...
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by AZ455
That's crazy. Good thing I relocated the horn button on mine I guess...(temporarily, just wanted a horn til I can re-wire the wheel mounted button)
This will be our first winter together...
Having a 74' In AZ.... you will be fine..

It's these 82-85 style steering wheels that do it from my experience. Happened to me twice.
Attached Images
82updeltasteeringwheel.jpg (30.3 KB, 129 views)
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM

It's still there guys and gals... Any takers? A nice Olds Diesel block in there to play with. Aluminum hood too. Just winch it up onto your trailer and it's yours.