Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1973 Olds Delta 88 Royale Hardtop 4DR

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

1973 Olds Delta 88 Royale Hardtop 4DR

FOR SALE: 1973 Olds Delta 88 Royale Hardtop Sedan 4-DR; One owner; Garage kept located in Virginia; immaculate condition. Driven by a couple with no children/no pets. 350 V8 Engine color: 81 T Honey Beige; ALL ORIGINAL paint, vinyl & interior. Looks factory fresh. Factory additional Undercoating, soft-ray tinted windows. No visible rust. No accidents, no repaints, mileage just over 42,000. Well maintained with current Virginia state inspection. New Shocks, Radiator, Alternator, Battery, Heater Core. Lots of pictures available. $5000 OBO. Photos at

SOLD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
a-88Royale (87)-sm.jpg (80.7 KB, 78 views)
h-88Royale (128)sm.jpg (91.2 KB, 52 views)
z88Royale (3)sm.jpg (76.3 KB, 59 views)
z88Royale (8)sm.jpg (70.4 KB, 56 views)
j-88Royale-E (9)sm.jpg (81.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by altalt1; June 26th, 2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very nice looking car - Any way you could post any photos (or links to photos) that are a bit larger ?

- Eric
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Oldsdruid

Wherezabouts in Vajenya?
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Yorktown Virginia. Working on setting up a link for more photos. Can e-mail photos if interested.
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:43 AM

$7,500 is a very aggressive asking price for that car. The price guides show values for '73 Delta 88 4-door hardtops in showroom condition at about $6,000. This car has a lot of positives including that very low mileage. But does that make it "showroom?" At the next stop lower in condition level ("car show" condition), the values shown are about $4,000. It's a hardtop, and that helps, but the four-doors are generally lower in value that the two-doors.

Anyway, good luck. I've got a '73 full-size wagon, and any time a full-size '73 sells for top dollar, it helps the value of mine!
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Photos - new site

I added a photo site for the Royale:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqlgjj/

Not sure if the link works directly, I had to copy and past into internet explorer. Thanks for looking!http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqlgjj/
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice looking car, but I agree that you'll find the price a bit high for the 4-door market.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Olds Royale for sale

Thanks for looking. That's where the OBO comes in. We'll see how it goes.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by altalt1
FOR SALE: 1973 Olds Delta 88 Royale Hardtop Sedan 4-DR; One owner; Garage kept located in Virginia; immaculate condition. Driven by a couple with no children/no pets. 350 V8 Engine.....
Now I wish I lived in VA!! You have a gorgeous time capsule there. One question (hopefully works to your benefit). The car is all original right? When I looked at the engine, the first thing that popped out was the blue valve covers. Usually that means the block is also blue and that's the color that Olds painted their 455s back then. The T stat housing looks gold though? Are you sure this isn't a 455? I couldn't read the VIN on the factory sticker so I couldn't tell whether my hunch is right. If you look at the front of the engine, just in front of the intake manifold by the oil filler tube there should be a series of numbers such as 396021F or 395558. If it's the first one it's a 455, the second is the 350. It's kind of a crap shoot with engines. Some folks really like the BBO power and torque, others are looking for the better fuel economy of a 350. BTW that's a cool touch = the IOU for the late delivery of the car on the sticker! Dan apparently really loved that wife of his

I remember these cars when they were new and have always been a huge fan. That car looks so clean and inviting. It's also a color that I really like on these big yachts. The only thing I remember as a downside of 73 was it was the first year GM was forced to universally install advanced pollution controls and that hit the performance and fuel economy in a wierd way. At the time, my Grade 12 Chem teacher (Mr. Gaudin) bought one of these. He was an old guy and drove very conservatively but could only get around 8-9 mpg out of it. But at this stage of life, I would trade that mileage for all the great memories the car brings back.

All the best, and hope you get a good price! Personally I think it's worth the money especially with the lower mileage and documentation.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
... the first thing that popped out was the blue valve covers. Usually that means the block is also blue and that's the color that Olds painted their 455s back then. The T stat housing looks gold though? Are you sure this isn't a 455? I couldn't read the VIN on the factory sticker so I couldn't tell whether my hunch is right.
I saw that. too, Allan, but I didn't see any mention of an optional engine on the sales ticket, and, though there is no "smoking gun" picture of the motor that shows a telltale sign, it looks too narrow to be a big block to me.
The big block in these sit very close to the upper control arm pivots, while the small blocks give you a little room, and I think I saw too much space between the steering column and the exhaust manifold for it to be a big block.

I'm curious to know for sure, myself, too.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Oldsdruid

$7500 is a bit steep, but having the price set that high also means the riffraff, big wheels, and beater crowd might stay away from it and the car will continue to survive as a nice original. And a 350 means it won't get cannibalized for its 455 and left to rot out its days like that Cranberry Royale Holiday Sedan up in MD did a couple years ago. We could not talk that guy out of taking its 455 for a 73 Cutlass. He was totally hung up on it being a 1973 engine. Could not make him see it would still never be a numbers matching Cutlass.

I need another car like a hole in the head, but I have a set of Super Stock IV Polycast wheels that sure would dress up that big Osemobile. They really set a 4DHT off, more than about any other bodystyle.

Go over on AACA.org and see if you get any interest there. AACA folks will make sure it stays original.
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
$7500 is a bit steep, but having the price set that high also means the riffraff, big wheels, and beater crowd might stay away from it and the car will continue to survive as a nice original.

I have a set of Super Stock IV Polycast wheels that sure would dress up that big Osemobile. They really set a 4DHT off, more than about any other bodystyle.
Totally agree with you on both counts. Umm, you did mean Oldsmobile, right?

SSIV's are very uncommon to find nowadays. How'd you get that lucky? First time I ever saw them was on my buddy Dave's 71 Delta Royale. First I thought they were aftermarkets until I saw them up close. Dave's Dad special ordered the car with all the whistles and bells including those wheels. Wish I'd bought the car off him when he sold it in a nasty D. It also was a 4 door hardtop (Ivory vinyl roof over sable brown body). Looked absolutely stunning in the sun!
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Smile 73 Olds

Thanks for the advice and helpful notes. The engine is the rocket 350 original to the car. Also, a 2 barrel carb on this engine instead of 4. Wish I had the space to keep it. Fits in my garage with about an inch to spare. I have to admit I like the ride. Nothing like the two old British convertibles we've owned in the past. The Olds is sort of like riding along while sitting on your couch at home. Nice to remember when cars were roomy and comfortable. When I was driving the Olds the other day, a limo driver stopped me to admire the Olds and was joking about wanting to trade. Looking at the sales receipt for the 1973 Olds, wish I had the 1955 Olds S88 that was traded to buy the Royale. If I had both, my garage really would be at capacity.

Last edited by altalt1; November 19th, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Allan R
Totally agree with you on both counts. Umm, you did mean Oldsmobile, right?
Nope. Osemobile. It's how we say it down here.

SSIV's are very uncommon to find nowadays. How'd you get that lucky? [/QUOTE]

Basically by scarfing up every set I found in junkyards. At one time I had six complete sets but sold off a couple. One set was on my 73 Royale convert and it went with the car when I sold it. Another set is currently on my 76 Ninety Eight and is the only set I have with four good trim rings. Two more sets are in the storage building waiting on another 70s big Ose (!) to come live here and I do not want to sell them as they have gotten harder to find.

Also have a set of 77-79 Custom Chrome Wheels for the big cars. You talk about making a Ninety Eight step high, those do. Those use the same trim ring as the SSIV but have a different center.
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM

Last time I saw that style wheels (besides an Oldsmobile show), was a a mid 1970s Chevy truck, at a campgroud, (at my summer job), back in 1987.
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
hkr

Great car! I have a 73 delta 88 convertible with the same saddle interior only my front seats and panels are shot. If you ever hear of anyone with that saddle interior in decent condition send them my my way would you? Dont have the $ to re-do mine nicely. Good luck with your sale! Mike