Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 W-30 scam

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 08:25 AM

1970 W-30 Potential scam Edmonton AB

BUYER BEWARE

There is a car for sale in Edmonton AB Canada that is being sold as a 1970 442 W-30. The car was on eBay last year when the car was still in Vernon BC area. Defunct ads are still up on the web for the car & post "documentation" from GM of Canada.

A prospective buyer who had a deposit on the car just spoke with George Zapora (who's name is on the documents from 2005) & the documents are FAKE. The VIN on the car is for a car that was NEVER sold thru GM of Canada.

http://www.mercedesbenzedmontonwest....4aeee0d7e5.htm

This is one of the older ads prior to the dealer acquiring the car.

http://automotoclassicsale.com/node/14824

The car was posted by me on Facebook before I knew the docs were FAKE. I have marked it as a Fake now.

This is the second car that I know of with forged GM of Canada documentation. The other one was the 1970 Pace Car convertible. This lesson shows the importance of buying documentation directly from GM of Canada. Don't trust sellers.

The car MAY be a 442 based on the 344 VIN but at this point all potential buyers need to be on their toes. It may even be a W-30 but it can't be verified by GM of Canada as previously alleged.

if the documents are fake what does that tell us about the car?

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; August 11th, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old August 11th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Runner

Thanks for posting about it. Found another old link to it with more pictures.
http://www.classiccarsseller.com/201...get-goldblack/
Old August 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM

more

A sharp eyed Facebook member pointed out that the picture of the VIN tag shows spacing that is not consistent with a Lansing built cars. After looking at the VINs for my 2 Lansing built W machines I concur. I went on to look at photos of VINs for Freemont built cars on which the VIN numeric spacing is very different. The car in question has VIN numeric spacing that closely resembles a Freemont built car.

Interesting, meaningless or a clue?
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:55 PM

I would think that it should only be "publicly declared fake" when & if someone requests new "GM of Canada" documentation for this car's "actual" vin#, and it comes up n/a??
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
This is the second car that I know of with forged GM of Canada documentation. The other one was the 1970 Pace Car convertible. This lesson shows the importance of buying documentation directly from GM of Canada. Don't trust sellers..............if the documents are fake what does that tell us about the car?
Interestingly enough that 4 speed Pace Car had real GM of Canada documents but the seller posted fake ones showing that the car had more options than it really came with. That was just stupid because it made the car suspect
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:30 PM

Fyi

Originally Posted by abodyman
I would think that it should only be "publicly declared fake" when & if someone requests new "GM of Canada" documentation for this car's "actual" vin#, and it comes up n/a??
The VIN for the car was sent to GM of Canada. They have no record of this car ever being sold new in Canada and stated that the documents shown the defunct ads are forgeries.

This car may be a 442 and may in fact be a W-30 car but there is no way to prove it for GM of Canada. The documentation is fake. It remains to be seen if the car is fake too. Someone would have to produce a broadcast card with the VIN on it matching this car.

It amazes me the extent to which people with go to steal thru fraud.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; August 11th, 2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old August 12th, 2016, 03:41 PM

Ok, now I understand, thanks for clearing it up for me.