Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1950 Olds Rocket 88 Convertible Futurematic

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2016, 04:59 PM

1950 Olds Rocket 88 Convertible Futuramic

Hello to all,

Trying to find out a little about the car I have that was my dads. I have seen these cars online that have sold for quite a bit. Just wondering how rare this car is now days and what it is worth to the right person. An information is greatly appreciated. The car is all original and been in dry storage.

Last edited by gibbscmc@yahoo.com; June 16th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Well, the word is "Futuramic," not Futurematic.

From the 1950 Olds brochure:

Value is difficult to predict. Those photos don't show much. It's a convertible, which will add interest. The cars that you've seen that have "sold for quite a bit" are not your car, which looks like it needs a full restoration.

Does the engine run? If not, does it at least turn over, or is it possibly seized? All of these things matter. A running car that moves under its own power is more valuable than one that has to be pushed or towed everywhere until it's engine gets fixed.

Having said all this, though, the Old Cars Price Guide lists a value for a 1950 Olds Futuramic 88 convertible in non-running but restorable condition at about $8,000. If it runs and drives but needs full restoration, the value is in the mid-teens. Get it to "car show" (but not showroom) condition, and the value climbs to just over $20,000. In "showroom" condition, the value listed is close to $50K.

That the car has apparently been in your family since new will help as presumably you have service records or at least know or can find out much about the car's history.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have attached a couple pictures of an identical car I sold from and estate about 3-4 years ago. It was a nice car but not a show car by any means. It had a brand new top on it and was an older restoration. I would classify it as a nice driver. I sold it through a dealer for $40,000. These are very desirable cars because there are not a lot of them around and they are the second year of the Olds OHV V-8. I would guess your car is worth about $12,000 - $15,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC04521.JPG (3.26 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC04522.JPG (3.39 MB, 16 views)
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:10 PM
N43

1950? Olds 88 convertible

Your car can be really cool and valuable but there is lot of work and $$$$ between here and there. One of my friends drove his '88 convertible in the Rose Parade in 2014. For valuation, check Hagerty Insurance's website and NADA classic car valuations and watch similar cars for sale on numerous free classic car web sites. Keep in mind that sellers are often optimists. Unfortunately, the car is a probably a "4" i.e. needs everything and some of the hard-to-find trim is dented. The good news is I don't see any gaping holes where body panels are "rusted through." The split windshield says it's either late '49 or early '50 because single piece windshields were introduced during the '50 model run.

Best wishes.
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:03 PM

From what I can see of the car(and that's is not much) I also feel it could be a $12,000 car. Very desirable and valuable when finished.I bet though you or someone else will have $30,000 at least invested not counting your labor to complete it.It depends a lot on what it looks like underneath and how much rust is hiding in there,if the engine is froze or transmission burnt up. Just too many unknown factors to guess intelligently ..... Just my thoughts from afar ... Tedd
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you bought this car for $12,000, you could have $40,000 in it before you turned around. Of course the good news is that it would be worth that and maybe a little more. The big if's are as Tedd mentioned, possible rust and unknown condition of the engine and transmission. If you were able to get it to run by chance, it will certainly bring more money because it removes a lot the unknowns. More pictures would help us better evaluate the car.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:08 PM

I just joined the Forum here.... I have a 50 Hudson Commodore 6 sedan, and have been sorta seeking an Oldsmobile. I have been passively looking for a 50 88 coupe, possibly a 53 super hardtop, and even considering the 51 club coupe on eBay. I somehow happened to the forum here, saw this posting and am quite intrigued. Is there any other information available on this one? Would love to see more pictures. THanks!
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

In case you missed it, here is a nice 50 Olds coupe on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-R...m=201610809227
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonkid
I just joined the Forum here.... I have a 50 Hudson Commodore 6 sedan, and have been sorta seeking an Oldsmobile. I have been passively looking for a 50 88 coupe, possibly a 53 super hardtop, and even considering the 51 club coupe on eBay. I somehow happened to the forum here, saw this posting and am quite intrigued. Is there any other information available on this one? Would love to see more pictures. THanks!
Thanks, I just joined the forum a few weeks ago myself to find out information. There are additional pictures and info on eBay. I can also email additional ones if interested. The car was reposted on eBay this morning after some adjustments to the pricing. We only had one bid and the reserve was not met. I ha e sense been discussing with the individual outside of eBay.

I am trying to help sale the car for my mom. It belonged to my dad for over 35 years.

Let me know if you need any additional information .

Gibbscmc@yahoo.com
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Post your location and a price, good luck.