Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

FS: 1984 Olds Toronado, $600, Harrisburg PA

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2015, 02:30 PM

FS: 1984 Olds Toronado, $600, Harrisburg PA

For sale: 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado, inspected til April 2016. Needs work: exhaust, rear shocks, and brakes at a minimum. Could also benefit from a true expert’s touch with the carburetor.

I have a gallery of pictures at http://imgur.com/a/LXfgv

108k miles - original 5.0L V8 engine and TH-325M transaxle with overdrive. I've gotten 27 miles per gallon on highway with it, but it's more likely to get 16-18 around town.

I bought it in March 2007, when it had just under 67k miles on it. It was a good car for me, and when I didn’t need it anymore, it went to someone else in my family about two years ago. Our circumstances have changed, the car is surplus, and it’s time to let this car go to another list member / Oldsmobile enthusiast.

Things I've done to it over the years: new brake lines, rear calipers & rotors, exhaust, shocks, heater core, throttle position sensor, transmission torque converter clutch lockup solenoid, high beam headlight switch, spark plugs & plug wires, new radiator and hoses. I dismantled another Toronado a couple of years ago, and I'll throw in spare parts from it. I also have a couple of extra spare factory wheels/rims that go with the car.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

What condition is it in? Well, it's fair condition, to be honest. GM used a plastic/rubber compound to fill in the gaps between the bumpers and the body, and those have disintegrated. The car still passes inspection in PA, though. There are body scratches, and rust on the bottom of the doors.

But how does it run? Okay, but not great. Original carburetor developed a number of issues about a year ago, and we decided to replace it with a new unit. What is on there runs okay, but it’s not perfect.

What options does it have? Not much by modern standards, but this car was the most expensive Oldsmobile you could buy in 1984. It features things that weren't standard then: remote control mirrors, power driver's seat, tilt passenger seat, power windows, power locks, tilt steering column, 4-wheel disc brakes, independent rear suspension, trip odometer, remote trunk release, rear defroster, cruise control, vinyl roof, fully carpeted trunk. A 21-gallon gas tank. I put in an extra 12V outlet box that includes three outlets and a USB port for charging; that's glued in and it shall stay right where it is. I also have a Class II trailer hitch & four-flat harness installed, which I used mostly to carry a bike rack, but would occasionally pull a small utility trailer. It worked just fine.

What's wrong with it? AC needs a recharge every year with R134a if you care to do it; I stopped putting refrigerant in it a couple of years ago. The driver's seat belt upper retractor stopped retracting into the ceiling. The power antenna failed years ago, but failed in the UP position, so I never thought it was worth fixing. Although it came with auto leveling suspension, it never worked for me. I fixed it by installing a small SPST push switch under the dash to activate the air pump & raise the air shocks, which I do as needed. It needs exhaust from the catalytic converter all the way back. Also, a brake line apparently just burst, because the brake pedal now goes all the way to the floor. NOT safe to drive at the moment—you’ll need to have it towed.

What about the interior? It's pretty good, actually. Headliner is intact and doesn't droop down on the occupants like so many mid-80s GMs do. No tears in the seats. Dash isn't cracked anywhere. Carpet looks fine; I've used floor mats since I bought it.

Can you impress the country club set with it? Absolutely not.

How about the mini-golf set? Now you're talking.

What would it cost to fix? A couple of hundred bucks at any auto-parts supplier, and a few hours of labor would get it safe to drive. It’d also make a very fine parts car if you are so inclined.

What's your price? $600, preferably to an Olds enthusiast.

Where are you located? Harrisburg, PA. Easy access from Interstate 81.
Old January 11th, 2016, 02:48 PM

I sold this car on 01/09/2016.