68 Delmont 88 front brake conversion to disc

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM

68 Delmont 88 front brake conversion to disc

Hello all, I am here trying to see if I can get some direction for my car. I have a 68 Delmont 88, B-Body V8-5.7L. Some history of the car, I have had the car myself for the past 5 years. My father gave it to me and before that he had it for 15 years. He had bought it from someone he knew back in '91 and the car remained stored for most of the time we had it. In the time it was stored, the top was damaged and refitted. The engine had been rebuilt at some point when he got the car. Sadly it ended up in a state where the floor had rusted through. He took it down to Tijuana, Mexico to get repairs done and the floor came out great, but the paint job and the upholstery was garbage. I had tried to keep the car going for years and had let it sit for some time myself. I had the trany rebuilt in '13 and the Carb replace in '12. In October '14 I decided to move from Los Angeles to New Hampshire. In April of '15 I decided to drive the car across the country. She got here in one piece but in disrepair. The suspension is going and the engine needs a big overhaul. Compression is not even or within an average. So, I have put it in storage for now so it is not exposed to the harsh cold that we have out here. With that said, I am trying to prep for it when I get to take it out in April'ish and do some repairs on the road to restoration. My first step is to fix the suspension and well, part of that is the brakes. I would love to keep the front Drums, but the sad truth is they are very dangerous for a car this size, they do not offer the stopping power I want, and the drums themselves are discontinued. So Finding a replacement will be near impossible. I had previously found a used set for the rear, that cost me $300 bucks just for the rear drums and it took 3 weeks.

What I am trying to find out here is if anyone knows where I can find a conversion kit for this car for the front brakes. I really don't want to have to change out the axle is that is an option. If anyone knows, please help a man with a dream out. Thank you
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:42 AM

Theres a place called Scarebird Classic Brakes, they have s lot of disc conversions for non A body cars and others. Check them out.
Old November 26th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FrankElTanke
What I am trying to find out here is if anyone knows where I can find a conversion kit for this car for the front brakes. I really don't want to have to change out the axle is that is an option. If anyone knows, please help a man with a dream out. Thank you
The 1967-1970 full size cars were available from the factory with optional disk brakes. Unfortunately no one sells replacement rotors for these cars, so even if you can find a set to bolt on, you won't be able to get parts for them. Others have tried to adapt later model rotors. That thread is available using SEARCH.

(Craig: We KNOW you have two original rotors left... You don't need to put that in EVERY thread about these cars)

There is no "axle" to replace on the front. There are separate spindles that are different from drum and disk and those do need to get changed if you use the factory disk brake parts.

I have no experience with the Scarebird kit, but they do list one. I believe you can download the instructions from their site to look at before purchasing.

And since everyone asks, no, Chevy Caprice/Impala parts do not fit, at least not without completely changing over to the Chevy spindles and smaller bolt pattern. Neither do the 1971-up disk brake parts fit. The 1970-older Olds full size cars are not popular to restore and few vendors sell part for them.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:45 PM

I went to their site and there was no B body conversion kits.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 1967-1970 full size cars were available from the factory with optional disk brakes. Unfortunately no one sells replacement rotors for these cars, so even if you can find a set to bolt on, you won't be able to get parts for them. Others have tried to adapt later model rotors. That thread is available using SEARCH.

(Craig: We KNOW you have two original rotors left... You don't need to put that in EVERY thread about these cars)

There is no "axle" to replace on the front. There are separate spindles that are different from drum and disk and those do need to get changed if you use the factory disk brake parts.

I have no experience with the Scarebird kit, but they do list one. I believe you can download the instructions from their site to look at before purchasing.

And since everyone asks, no, Chevy Caprice/Impala parts do not fit, at least not without completely changing over to the Chevy spindles and smaller bolt pattern. Neither do the 1971-up disk brake parts fit. The 1970-older Olds full size cars are not popular to restore and few vendors sell part for them.

Well that blows, this is a very hard car to restore. I wish I could part with it, but the sentimental value it holds is beyond anything to me. I will have to keep looking around. Thank you
Old December 1st, 2015, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FrankElTanke
I went to their site and there was no B body conversion kits.
You might want to look again...

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=173