Drum brake odor driver side front wheel + brake idiot light

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 08:20 PM

Drum brake odor driver side front wheel + brake idiot light

68 Cutlass Supreme with drum brakes all around. Brakes were rebuilt and new shoes were put in 4 years ago (12k miles). Yesterday I noticed the brake pedal going a bit mushy. It allowed me to brake to the floor and it causes he brake idiot light to turn on. I've never seen it turn on before other than putting the parking brake on. There is a foul odor coming from the front driver side wheel. Time to change the shoes or is it something else?
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Time to pull the drums and take a look. Could be a lot of things - leaking wheel cylinder is high on the list, considering it only affects one wheel, but that shouldn't cause the linings to burn - quite the opposite. A mechanical failure inside of that drum, with something jammed, maybe a piston or little pushing stub between the piston and shoe, also seems high on the list.

- Eric
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
68 Cutlass Supreme with drum brakes all around. Brakes were rebuilt and new shoes were put in 4 years ago (12k miles). Yesterday I noticed the brake pedal going a bit mushy. It allowed me to brake to the floor and it causes he brake idiot light to turn on. I've never seen it turn on before other than putting the parking brake on. There is a foul odor coming from the front driver side wheel. Time to change the shoes or is it something else?
The BRAKE light will only illuminate for one of three reasons:

1) The "lamp test" function when the key is in the START position

2) The e-brake is not fully released (or the switch on the e-brake pedal is not adjusted properly

3) The differential pressure switch in the junction block is sensing a difference in pressure between the front and back brakes

The last one is the one that applies here. Apparently you have a leak someplace, likely at the wheel with the smell (but not necessarily). DOT3 brake fluid absorbs water, leading to rust in wheel cylinders on cars that are infrequently driven. Fix this before driving the car again.

Oh, for completeness, there is a fourth reason for the BRAKE light to illuminate - a short to ground in any of the wires for the first three functions I mentioned will cause the light to illuminate.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Sounds like it is number 3. I haven't had a chance to get it looked at yet but the front left wheel is making a grinding noise while driving and louder while braking. It is also giving me a really gritty feeling when coming to a stop.
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
... the front left wheel is making a grinding noise while driving and louder while braking. It is also giving me a really gritty feeling when coming to a stop.
This would appear to reflect a suboptimal operating condition.

- Eric
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This would appear to reflect a suboptimal operating condition.

- Eric

Yeah.....requires IMMEDIATE attention!

One thing to check is the rubber brake hose going to that wheel; they sometimes deteriorate inside, and cause the fluid to not return back to the master cylinder, keeping the brake applied....thus wearing out the brake linings, and causing smell.....noise....etc.!

Last edited by R-body_mopar; January 15th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.