Not sure what the problem is :(

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Not sure what the problem is :(

The last few weeks the car has driven perfectly. Yesterday as well. This morning I took her out of the driveway and down the street and it felt like she had a flat tire. The front right tire feels like its wiggling exactly the way a flat tire feels but the tire isnt flat. I hear something when I turn but I don't see anything loose or broken. What could it be? I didn't drive it, I put her in the garage right away.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Wheel bearing may have play(loose) or failed.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Also check the front suspension.
Larry
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM

the suspension is all new and isnt loose. I'll have to take it to a shop to check it out i guess. Can I damage it more by driving it a few blocks to the shop?
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

This may sound too obvious but check to make sure the lug nuts are tight on that one and the rest of the wheels if you haven't yet.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM

If it starts to pull hard in one direction your wheel bearing could be seizing up and it could become impossible to drive.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by justagirlfromla
the suspension is all new and isnt loose. I'll have to take it to a shop to check it out i guess. Can I damage it more by driving it a few blocks to the shop?
You can't presume that it isn't a problem with the new suspension. That is not an unusual presumption, but there could be a problem with the parts and/or the installation. Personally, I wouldn't chance driving it more. Without knowing more about the problem, yes it is possible for more damage.
Whoever did the work should back it up! And pay for they tow if they did screw up, call them!
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM

X's2 on the lug nuts, and rechecking front suspension!!!!!
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM

I had a 1970 with front drum brakes and it was making a creaking noise that I couldn't figure out until I took the hubs off. The inner race had cracked and dug into the hub cuasing the hub to move around and necessitating it's replacement.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Smile :) "Whats goin' on with my Oldsmobile Cutlass?"

The last few weeks the car has driven perfectly. Yesterday as well. This morning I took her out of the driveway and down the street and it felt like she had a flat tire. The front right tire feels like its wiggling exactly the way a flat tire feels but the tire isnt flat. I hear something when I turn but I don't see anything loose or broken. What could it be? I didn't drive it, I put her in the garage right away.
justagirlfromla,blueRAYwhale in Carson City says Hi. Find a ASE certified mechanic familiar with vintage 70's GM cars, and take it to them. Diagnosing problems like this is difficult and you're going to need a good mechanic to keep that car on the road anyways.
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

get rid of that air cleaner.

that foam will disintegrate from gasoline exposure and your carb will suck it down in your motor.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:38 PM

Took it to a wheel place today, the right front wheel had 1 broken lug and the wheel was off center. Got it replaced and centered correctly, and just checked the right left to check it and ALL the lugs were loose! Had everything removed, cleaned the brakes and tightened and recenter the wheels. Driving perfect now! Thanks everyone!

Thanks BlueRayWhale! I just moved here dont know where Carson City is.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:31 PM

Smile "Again, justagirlfromla. You're welcome"

Took it to a wheel place today, the right front wheel had 1 broken lug and the wheel was off center. Got it replaced and centered correctly, and just checked the right left to check it and ALL the lugs were loose! Had everything removed, cleaned the brakes and tightened and recenter the wheels. Driving perfect now! Thanks everyone!

, It's northwest of Las Vegas about 450 miles, close to Lake Tahoe, near Reno. It's the Capitol. If you picture Nevada as sort of a rectangle with the lower left corner cut-off at a thirty degree angle or so, Lake Tahoe(CA/NV), is where the angle meets the left side. And it's a rectangle not a block, small or otherwise
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by blueRAYwhale
And it's a rectangle not a block, small or otherwise
hahaha

welcome justa

sweet looking 70 love the colors X9 on the wheels I vote for SSIs

lugnuts - BTDT never again thx Baltimore beltway Friday night heavy but fast traffic 74 Cutlass Salon 70mph LR wheel bails, sparks, bouncing tire down 95 etc etc etc

anyway, welcome!
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM

Smile :) "That's right" :)

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM

Hey Lady long time no see anyways have not read this yet, If you plan on keeping the wheels....WHICH ITS YOUR DECISION AND NO ONE ELSE'S, any ways with them wheels make sure you check them lugs on a weekly basis.

And enjoy that small block 350 as much as you can with the sunshine out there
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
car guy

Better yet have all the studs replaced with 1/2" studs. 7/16" studs are borderline in a stock application lot alone wheels with 3 + times the weight of factory. You are begging to have a wheel fall off with stock studs.
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
Hey Lady long time no see anyways have not read this yet, If you plan on keeping the wheels....WHICH ITS YOUR DECISION AND NO ONE ELSE'S, any ways with them wheels make sure you check them lugs on a weekly basis.

And enjoy that small block 350 as much as you can with the sunshine out there
Originally Posted by gearheads78
Better yet have all the studs replaced with 1/2" studs. 7/16" studs are borderline in a stock application lot alone wheels with 3 + times the weight of factory. You are begging to have a wheel fall off with stock studs.

yea I would assume if they put that big of wheel on there they would have done that but if its loose in that little of time after buying it, I would guess it wasn't, and any local tire shop can change them out for you its not hard just time consuming
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
yea I would assume if they put that big of wheel on there they would have done that but if its loose in that little of time after buying it, I would guess it wasn't, and any local tire shop can change them out for you its not hard just time consuming

You would be amazed how many people upgrade wheels and tires and never do anything with studs, brake, suspension, and gear ratio.

Then wonder why the car doesn't perform the way it should.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Rich from Las Vegas

I could have loaned you a jack...