Brake Line Routing

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2016, 04:30 PM

Brake Line Routing

I have a 1967 Cutlass Supreme with power drum brakes. When trying to make the brakes work after setting for 12 years, I ran into some difficulties. The left front brake line twisted off at the brake hose. The right front line at the distribution block twisted off. The rear line came off ok.

Since I had planned on doing the disc brake upgrade after moving the car to GA, it looks as though I will be doing it sooner. I already have the spindles, but the lines I find are for the proportional valve moved next to the master cylinder.

My question is, in the assembly manual, the right front brake line routing is different from the 330 to the 400. What is the reason for the alternate routing? Because I plan on swapping to a 455 in the future, I want to make sure the lines will work.
Old October 10th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Army_Vet
Since I had planned on doing the disc brake upgrade after moving the car to GA, it looks as though I will be doing it sooner. I already have the spindles, but the lines I find are for the proportional valve moved next to the master cylinder.
1967-70 cars with factory disc brakes did not use a combo valve on the frame rail. They used a separate metering valve that mounted under the master cylinder in conjunction with the same distribution block used by drum brake cars mounted to the frame rail. If you want to use that style of plumbing, most of the pre-bent line vendors offer lines for it.

If you want to use a non-original combo valve, it's easier to mount it under the M/C, since that allows room for headers. Alternately, you can bend your own lines.