Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

A body doors what fits what

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM

A body doors what fits what

Anyone know what A body doors are interchangeable. I'm talking about the frame work not the skins.

Are the door frames the same from 69-72 and just the skins make the difference ?
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bitburger
Anyone know what A body doors are interchangeable. I'm talking about the frame work not the skins.

Are the door frames the same from 69-72 and just the skins make the difference ?
69 inner shells are different from the 70-72 inner shells because the edges are shaped to match the different contours of the door skins. The hard points (hinges and latches) are in the same place. 1970-up should also have side guard impact beams in the doors.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:03 PM

'68 and '69 doors are interchangeable, though the inner structures differ. Outer door skins are the same, but the inner structure is different due to the vent windows.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by timholliday
'68 and '69 doors are interchangeable, though the inner structures differ. Outer door skins are the same, but the inner structure is different due to the vent windows.
"Interchangeable" is a relative term. You can't simply use a 69 door on a 68 (or vice-versa) without major work to fit or remove the vent windows. They do, however, fit in the same door openings. Inside lock button location is different.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Interchangeable" is a relative term. You can't simply use a 69 door on a 68 (or vice-versa) without major work to fit or remove the vent windows. They do, however, fit in the same door openings. Inside lock button location is different.
Ok, then specifically 70-72 GM A body door shells, two door, non post are the same and would work with the correct door skin for Chevelle, Cutlass, Skylark, GTO and so on ?

Or put another way. I wanna use a 71 Cutlass door shell on a 71 Chevelle and of course I would have to reskin it correct for Chevelle.
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bitburger
Ok, then specifically 70-72 GM A body door shells, two door, non post are the same and would work with the correct door skin for Chevelle, Cutlass, Skylark, GTO and so on ?

Or put another way. I wanna use a 71 Cutlass door shell on a 71 Chevelle and of course I would have to reskin it correct for Chevelle.
I doubt that will work. The door inner shell is shaped differently where the outer skin crimps around it to match the body side contours of the respective cars.
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I doubt that will work. The door inner shell is shaped differently where the outer skin crimps around it to match the body side contours of the respective cars.
Thanks Joe, that's about what I figured but I was hoping some of it might interchange.