Surface Cancer...Inside out

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM

Surface Cancer...Inside out

Please take a look....Hard to reach inner panel above rear wheels, what appears to be condensation rust over the years. What is the best way to clean and stop it? Very hard to reach. Sorry the picutres need to be read on the side...turn right and look at them. I am taking off as much surface rust as I can reach and then will cover with Eastwood Rust Encap...Any better ideas? Can I reach is it I take out back seat and back window panels? Both side need done. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass Restore 022.jpg (145.9 KB, 49 views)
Cutlass Restore 023.jpg (125.7 KB, 41 views)
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They all look like that.

If that's the worst rust you've got, you should go out and celebrate.
I never considered doing anything to it - I've got much bigger fish to fry.

- Eric

edit: On second thought, that sounded harsh, and I really didn't mean it to be.
Here's the problem: abrasives won't reach, acids will likely get into and sit in crevices where they shouldn't, causing new rot, and coatings may trap moisture against the metal.
If this is a typical garaged, well-treated old car, I'd say leave it alone. It's in a dry space with good airflow, and should survive for hundreds of years that way.

Last edited by MDchanic; April 3rd, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM

I have areas like that, too. I cleaned them with light soap and water, let dry a few weeks in the TX heat, and brushed on some POR15 clear.
Make sure the body drains are clear so if water does get in there, it will drain out.
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Surface Cancer

Lady:
Not to be smart, but that area is so tight, I can only get in so far. Can you get to more of it if you take off the inside rear passenger panel..what are those panels called? Tell me more about the drain values in the rear quarters. Mine have blue caps on them...Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM

By the looks of the pics, it looks right out in the open (deceiving, eh?).
You might not be able to get to it easily. I had my entire interior out, so i did have an advantage. Even then I was straining my arms trying to brush the stuff on. My arms had the cheese-grater look afterwards. Some areas I could not reach so I left them. It is more of a do-what-you-can type thing.
BTW, those would be called your quarter trim panels.

Not sure what car you have but my 72 has squarish holes in the back of the quarters in front of the rear wheels. Rubber flaps may or may not be there.

Make sure those holes are clear and that the insides of the doors and quarters are clean. I had about 4" of compost in each and when I got the car home, i drained out 4 gallons of water. I was wondering what the sloshing sound was when i stopped....
Attached Images
IMG_2733.jpg (35.8 KB, 65 views)