Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:39 AM

Trip about your cam,if it's made of billet steel you have to use a bronze distributor gear I'm pretty sure.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM

That's correct and in the first pic on one of my posts you can see the bronze gear sized for the 1/2 inch shaft for the MSD distributor.

Today was mock up day but the gods did not shine upon me as expected. Seems I have to do a bit more massaging around the bolt head on the fuel pump and the first header tube on the right side is too close to the block for my liking. Not sure what path I'll take with that yet. The bolt is easy, the header not so much. I will prevail though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuel Pump.JPG (149.4 KB, 287 views)
Header Right.JPG (152.3 KB, 287 views)
Fuel Pump and Header.JPG (141.5 KB, 270 views)
Old June 28th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Double gasket?
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM

missing the washer under the fuel pump retainer nut?
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM

I've been reading your thread,and I'm intrigued, it's a bit beyond my knowledge base but looks cool. I have a 65 442 with the 66 L69 induction. I see you had your intake extrude-honed, do you have any indication of flow before and after. I'm contemplating a lessor but similar build, I've a 400'E' which has been opened before, so I'm not sure what I'll find. I'd like to keep it at 4.060 or less, plan on using Edlebrock heads, want to keep the compression down to 9.5-10.25:1 so as to be able to run the lousy gas we can get on the street. I'm planning long trips visiting transportation (trains, cars, and airplanes) sites along the way. So I'm looking for a base line on the intake. The stock carbs are 290 cfm purportedly. I'm figuring that they can be improved but I also suspect that the intake is the defining component. Any input will be gratefully received.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Sorry Old Olds Fan but I was never able to have the intake flowed before and after so I don't know the numbers. While I was at the ExtrudeHone facility I was told by the production manager that a Pontiac Tri-Power intake they had done picked up 32 hp after being processed. I might take that figure with a grain of salt but for what it's worth. A 10% increase in cfm is not uncommon according to them.
Old July 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM

Hay thanks anyway Trip. I was just really looking for the cfm on the stock intake because as I mentioned I'm guessing the intake will be the limiting component in my build. Once I get the engine apart I'll see if I can't get it rigged to a flow bench. If so I'll share the numbers with everyone. Thanks again for you answer.
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Trip what fuel pump is that? looks to be alot better than the Holley or carter, myu build right now is 468cid with a 850cfm carb and pretty large cam at least for Hydraulic and ported C heads, I always felt I didnt have enough fuel top end or in high gear.
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM

That's a RobbMc fuel pump, 1100 model. It's adjustable for psi but still needs a regulator.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM

How far into the water jacket did you have to cut the head in order to install that fuel pump? Looks like quite a bite. Have been thinking about doing the same thing for my build

Thanks
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM

I never reached the water jacket Citcapp. I'm about 3/8 inch or less into the casting but never broke through. It was hard to tell but as best I can make out I'm still at least a 1/4 inch away from any water. I was looking through the water hole on the deck side of the head. These are not Edelbrock's so don't go by that.

The fuel pump head can be rotated in any position but you can see that I placed it with the flat side to the head which gave the most clearance. The top is pretty big, probably bigger than most. I really don't know how this works on other heads.

Last edited by TripDeuces; July 8th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I never reached the water jacket Citcapp. I'm about 3/8 inch or less into the casting but never broke through. It was hard to tell but as best I can make out I'm still at least a 1/4 inch away from any water. I was looking through the water hole on the deck side of the head. These are not Edelbrock's so don't go by that.

The fuel pump head can be rotated in any position but you can see that I placed it with the flat side to the head which gave the most clearance. The top is pretty big, probably bigger than most. I really don't know how this works on other heads.
Thanks for the info Pro-comp heads I assume?
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Those are revised Bulldogs. They are old but I'll be using what I have.
I soaked everything in WD-40 today, it's been so humid here. Decided against using my gear drive so I'm just waiting on the new timing set to arrive to set the cam and slap the short block together.

Last edited by TripDeuces; July 8th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Haven't heard that name in a long time. Are they still being made? last I heard very few sets were actually made and sold

Glad to see you're making progress
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM

I hear Wise Performance is making new sets of heads but they are under his name and nothing to do with Bulldog or FCR. Not sure if they work with stock intakes or not.
I used to live in Lynnwood so I know the area you are from. Big car nuts in that area.

http://wiseperformanceengineering.vp...m/default.html

Last edited by TripDeuces; July 9th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Since I'm waiting for the timing set to arrive I decided to massage the oil pan to clear the girdle. I needed to dimple it about 1/8 - 1/4 inch to get the pan to sit flat. I'll have pics soon.
On a good note the cam button came today.
It's surprising how these little things eat up time. Once I get the timing set it should go faster I hope. I'm thinking of firing this thing up on my engine cradle to at least break in the rings and check for any leaks before I set it in the chassis. Any tips or things to look for are appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:10 AM

I'm thinking of firing this thing up on my engine cradle to at least break in the rings and check for any leaks before I set it in the chassis. Any tips or things to look for are appreciated.
To properly break in the rings you need to load it. If you just run it with no load you run the risk of glazing the walls before proper break in.
Fire it up and check for leaks and oil pressure but I wouldn't run it too long.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I have to agree Cutlassefi, and this article supports that. I guess it needs to go on a dyno, either engine or chassis to do it right.
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Woot, cam degreed today. Ended up with 1 degree advance. Close enough for me, and that will account for any timing chain stretch, hehe.
Was going to take pics of the oil pan work but the battery needed recharging on the camera. I guess it didn't like the 100* temps. in the garage. Cripes it's hot. I think I lost five pounds putting the cam right. Next the pistons, rods and rings go in and we can finally call it a short block.
My dimpling of the oil pan is kinda crude looking but at least it clears the girdle. Once I paint it no one is going to notice but me anyway.
One question: BBO in a 66 A body. Which holes do I use for the engine mounts?
Old July 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Ben

Woot, cam degreed today. Ended up with 1 degree advance. Close enough for me, and that will account for any timing chain stretch, hehe.
Was going to take pics of the oil pan work but the battery needed recharging on the camera. I guess it didn't like the 100* temps. in the garage. Cripes it's hot. I think I lost five pounds putting the cam right. Next the pistons, rods and rings go in and we can finally call it a short block.
My dimpling of the oil pan is kinda crude looking but at least it clears the girdle. Once I paint it no one is going to notice but me anyway.
One question: BBO in a 66 A body. Which holes do I use for the engine mounts?
I want to say its the front bolts... I had to look at my "take out" pics on mine to figure it out before i dropped mine in.

The headers look real nice!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM

More pics. Assembled short block and my dimpled oil pan. Not real smooth but it's functional. I might have to work that a little more.
Attached Images
Short Block Front.JPG (150.6 KB, 191 views)
Short Block Top.JPG (149.9 KB, 190 views)
Short Block.JPG (143.2 KB, 186 views)
Timing Chain.JPG (146.1 KB, 181 views)
Oil Pan Left.JPG (142.5 KB, 202 views)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM

Oil pump went on today. I added a bracket to the pick up just for good measure. Don't judge that welding job! Lol ARP studs to 40 lb/ft. Next will be the front cover and pan and then I'll start on the heads. I'm just taking the heads apart to verify everything and putting new seals in.
Attached Images
DSC00730.JPG (138.9 KB, 176 views)
DSC00731.JPG (156.3 KB, 173 views)
DSC00732.JPG (134.8 KB, 166 views)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
MOTORHEAD

g
that sucker should be secure now
good to see that motor coming together
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks great so far George. What car are you putting it into?
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:54 AM

OLD SKL 69, it's a 66 Cutlass convertible
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Jez, don't punch that thing with the top down, you'll have no hair left!
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Looking good. You've inspired me for my next engine.
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM

New starter came today! My old RobbMc starter was just too big for the headers but this Powermaster 9510 fits like a glove. Oil pan and heads next. I know, I know, I'm old and slow.
Attached Images
DSC00767.JPG (147.8 KB, 160 views)
DSC00768.JPG (129.9 KB, 159 views)
DSC00769.JPG (151.9 KB, 155 views)
DSC00770.JPG (133.9 KB, 147 views)
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:18 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Gotta ask - I couldn't tell from the pics of the oil pan, but I did see a Canton box in one pic. You're not planning to use a Canton road-race style pan with side kick-out are you? If so, I'll tell you that I tried it and no way will it clear the 9510 starter or the ARH 2" headers. I ended up having a buddy who owns a fab shop cut off the kickout and weld a patch over the hole. He did a nice job, but that pan cost a lot to begin with & then I had to pay to have it modified. I would have been better off with a (cheaper) Moroso pan to start with.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM

It is a Canton pan but not with the kick out. I've already test fit it with the starter installed. About 1/4 - 3/8 inch clearance to the pan. It's just a standard Canton oil pan. In fact if you go back a few posts you can see the pan and how I massaged it to clear the girdle.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:26 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Yeah, I saw the pan, but couldn't see the bottom of the sump in that pic.
Just glad for you that it's not the road race style pan. I had to learn the hard way
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM
jfb

hey buddie I hear you on that build it strong enough plus and call it a day and apply your time to other things and areas. I put my mondello 55 in and then detailed the engine compartment to show quality and now I have the best of both worlds and fully done also and now it is just upkeep and enjoyment.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM

Oil pan, timing cover and balancer hub all on and painted. At least it will look somewhat original.
Attached Images
Painted Oil Pan.JPG (148.3 KB, 127 views)
Painted Oil Pan (1).JPG (138.4 KB, 118 views)
Painted Oil Pan (3).JPG (138.9 KB, 123 views)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM

Looks great!! I just finished my 496 build in March, reading this is bringing back some fun memories. One thing I want to point out is to test fit your oil dipstick if you have not already. I found that my girdle and windage tray both needed some massaging for the dipstick, especially when keeping angles in mind regarding headers. Yes, the dipstick tube needed some slight bending as well. Not sure if you are using a windage or not, but it still might be worth checking before you get much further. I also had to do some slight clearancing on my Melling HV oil pump for the girdle.

You may have already checked these things but thought I'd point them out just in case.

Have fun!

Last edited by TORTUS; October 2nd, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM

lookin good!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Looks great, you will absolutely love that starter.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Balancer and flexplate done. I might use my accessory parts off the 330 if they fit? I also have stuff lying around all over not to mention a lot of unused parts I'll be needing to sell.
Attached Images
Balancer (1).JPG (144.4 KB, 141 views)
Balancer.JPG (142.1 KB, 128 views)
Flexplate (1).JPG (149.0 KB, 131 views)
Flexplate.JPG (142.5 KB, 135 views)
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM

That balancer looks great! I really like all of the timing marks. I really thought I would see a flywheel on there instead of a flexplate.............
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM

Just a thought, but I think I'd cover at least the oil in galley. Maybe with a piece of tape or paper towel? Again just a thought.
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM
72 Olds CS

Looks cool trip !!

question what kind of fasteners are those on the flex plate and damper and do you need a special tool(s) to tighten them ?

Quick Reply: 496