Loud Tick Tick

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM
My Daily Driver

Loud Tick Tick

Ok Guys,

Driving home in my Olds 442 with a 455 carb driven daily driver (stock wth the exception of aftermarket A/C and upgraded radiator and electric fans) I heard a loud tick. Almost like a vacuum leak; or exhaust, I stopped the car and the ticking sound was from the left upper side of the engine. No exhaust leak ( as I hoped) but a metallic tink or tick. Changing the rpms didn't seem to fix it. No liquid leaks but loud sounds. It's just at the front and the left side. Valves issue? Springs? Broken rod? (hope not)

My question to you guys is where to go first? Do I pull the valve covers. (It does sound like it's at the top.)

Thanks.

Mitch
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tangovino
Ok Guys,

Driving home in my Olds 442 with a 455 carb driven daily driver (stock wth the exception of aftermarket A/C and upgraded radiator and electric fans) I heard a loud tick. Almost like a vacuum leak; or exhaust, I stopped the car and the ticking sound was from the left upper side of the engine. No exhaust leak ( as I hoped) but a metallic tink or tick. Changing the rpms didn't seem to fix it. No liquid leaks but loud sounds. It's just at the front and the left side. Valves issue? Springs? Broken rod? (hope not)

My question to you guys is where to go first? Do I pull the valve covers. (It does sound like it's at the top.)

Thanks.

Mitch
i would pull the left cover first. see what is loose if anything.