Alternator relocation brackets

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Alternator relocation brackets

I need some help finding a manufacturer that makes a alternator relocation bracket/s that will place the alternator on the passenger side of the block at about crank level. I would like to place a 90 amp. or more alternator down low without using modified chevy brackets or designing my own. I could even use drawings if someone has already done this. Thank you in advance.

Ray
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 74sprint
I need some help finding a manufacturer that makes a alternator relocation bracket/s that will place the alternator on the passenger side of the block at about crank level. I would like to place a 90 amp. or more alternator down low without using modified chevy brackets or designing my own. I could even use drawings if someone has already done this. Thank you in advance.

Ray
You are unlikely to find a bracket that mounts the alternator low on the passenger side because it would conflict with the water pump inlet on an Olds motor. You'd need to swap to either a 1964-only water pump with the driver side inlet or convert to an electric pump. There are aftermarket brackets that mount the alternator low on the driver side, but this obviously means you can't run a PS pump then. Is your problem tall valve cover clearance or something else? You can get an inexpensive 105A CS130 that will bolt to the existing 307 alternator brackets and clear tall valve covers.
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You are unlikely to find a bracket that mounts the alternator low on the passenger side because it would conflict with the water pump inlet on an Olds motor. You'd need to swap to either a 1964-only water pump with the driver side inlet or convert to an electric pump. There are aftermarket brackets that mount the alternator low on the driver side, but this obviously means you can't run a PS pump then. Is your problem tall valve cover clearance or something else? You can get an inexpensive 105A CS130 that will bolt to the existing 307 alternator brackets and clear tall valve covers.

Thanks Joe, streering is manual and yup going electric water pump and twin turbos. I have more room on the passenger side for the alternator, driverside is where I'm putting the vacuum pump. I have to put the drivers side turbo more forward, right where I could have put an alternator. The 105A CS130 alternator is the one I was thinking of using. I hope this helps.

Ray
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 74sprint
Thanks Joe, streering is manual and yup going electric water pump and twin turbos. I have more room on the passenger side for the alternator, driverside is where I'm putting the vacuum pump. I have to put the drivers side turbo more forward, right where I could have put an alternator. The 105A CS130 alternator is the one I was thinking of using. I hope this helps.

Ray
Wow! Post up a picture of this bad boy project.

Last edited by wr1970; January 25th, 2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Wow! Post up a picture of this bad project.

Not much too see right now still collecting parts but, I'll post some pictures and show how the project progresses. I will say this though, I'm aiming for 1000hp or bust, I have 4 bullets I can use and 2 69mm turbos. Ah it's a bucket list thing.

Ray
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Beer Connoisseur

BOP engineering has a "low mount" bracket.

CVF Racing has a better and nicer one, but the alternator sits higher than BOP.

Old January 25th, 2017, 10:23 AM

First picture with bop brackets cleans up engine compartment.
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:51 PM

The BOP one looks like it might work. I started thinking about my marine encounters and I kind of remembered that you can swap an OBB with a CBB and vice-a-versa. They both use the mounts on the front of the engine and the bottom four bolts on the back of the block. Anyway I went out to the shop and measured my Olds-BB (with it in the car), a Chevy-SB, and a Chevy-BB. As far as I can tell with a measuring tape the Olds and the Chevy-BB have the bolt holes 2.25" apart and the Chevy-SB 1.5" apart. So I should be able to use a Allen Grove low mount Chevy-BB alternator setup, on the drivers side. I was also thinking about the vacuum pump and decided to go electric. I'll probably use a 24 volt DC vacuum motor with pulse width modulation to control the speed and vacuum. I found a motor assembly that will match or beat the Moroso ProMod unit for $100 + controller(@$100) versus $950 for the Moroso 22643 unit. The electric vacuum can pull 100 cfm (same as Moroso) and 41 inches of vacuum (15 more than Moroso). Well I'll just have to see how things turn out.

Thanks everyone.

Ray