ABS, Low Trac, Service Light coming on. Need to get state inspection done. Pleas help

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM

Exclamation ABS, Low Trac, Service Light coming on. Need to get state inspection done. Pleas help

I have a 2001 alero (4 cylinder) with 145K miles on it. ABS, Low Trac, Service Light and sometimes Brake Light are on as soon as my car is in motion(Lights are not lit initially when I turn the engine on. As soon as I change the gear from parking to reverse or drive they all are lit). I took it to Autozone for error code lookup but no codes were reported. I gave it to the dealer for checkup. The dealer initially said it will cost $80 for diagnostic but he called later in the afternoon and said it might require 3 to 4 labor hours to diagnose the problem and will cost me $200. I backed off. I dont know how much more life the car has so don't want to spend too much on it. I live in Texas which requires annual vehicle inspection. I am already due for the inspection. My vehicle will not qualify for inspection as the lights are on. Is there any way to diable the lights and get the state inspection done or any other alternative? I don't want to spend like 1000 bucks on this car and then trash it in a year.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

Needs a wheel hub, not a big deal
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:27 AM

ABS, Lowtrac light

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 Alero. Is the issue the ABS sensor or a wheel bearing problem? Is there anyway to test the sensor if that is the problem?
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
2Blue 55

you could take the fuses out of the lights for the inspection. Don't forget to put the fuse back in and you could buy some hubs later on down the road.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Red face You can get the hub assemblies for less

I have the same problem with my Alero. On other sites I have seen that if water gets into the cable connection for the hub assembly that it can cause a short in the system. In some cases you can clean the connections and use a grease designed for use in electrical connections (I think it is called dielectric grease or something like that) which will keep further corrosion from happening. If this does not work then if you check the resistance rating on the hub assembly with a volt meter you can see which assembly has gone bad and replace it. I have found a replacement hub assembly at 1aauto.com for $64.95 + $12.00 S&H or if you want to be on the safe side and replace both assemblies, it is $124.95 + $16.00 S&H for two assemblies. These may not be ACDelco parts but the cheapest I have found those is at GMPartsDirect.com for $140.40 + S&H each. So, it is either one original or two generic.... same price. Good Luck, Chris