need help with an 89 oldsmobile cutlass

Old March 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Unhappy need help with an 89 oldsmobile cutlass

ok i am new to these forums abd i have owned my oldsmobile cutlass cirea XC special edition FE3 for about 3 or 4 years i bought it 4 1000 dollars and put about another 1500 dollars into it in parts and now it does 0-60mph in 7 seconds. but anyway we have brought it to many different mechanichs and i guess none of the idots can tell us how to fix our problem: like every day my car will be just idleing at a stop light for example and it will just turn off. it will not conk or sputter or anything it will just turn off. we did bring it to a mechanich that said our MAP sensor was defective ( it was brand new from autozone) so he went and got one from a junk yard and put it in. after a few months my car started to get worse and one day it would not start at all so i switched the junkyard MAP sensor for the brand new 'defective' one and it will run ok but it will still stall out randomly. also once i was doing about 75 down the highway and it stalled out and i shiften into neutral and it would not start until i pulled onto the shpulder and waited about 2 minutes and it restarted. does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? because those MAP sensors cost 150 bucks

also does anyone know what is the big deal or what the 'XC special edition' and the 'FE3' edition means. like what is the bid deal with it?
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Past Administrator

I think the FE3 refers to a suspension upgrade. About your car not running. What do the plugs look like? Have you changed them and the wires recently?
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM

hmmm good idea we have drove well over 1000 miles on those plugs (alabama and back) and u think fe3 means suspension upgrade? wow awesome thx for the suggestions oh and the wires are about a few months old bet we bought the most expensive wires they had at autozone and the coils are pretty new too
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Past Administrator

Yeah, if the plugs aren't in great shape that would definitely do it. Otherwise, I am not sure but that would be a starting place. The FE3, it is called the touring and ride handling package. Don't know what is in it though, probably stiffer suspension parts.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM

well today i just replaced the plugs with some bosch dual tipped racing plugs and when me and my dad drive it ima ask him if it ever stalls on him anymore. we had a dyno hooked up to it and it said the map sensor and the coils were messed up. all 3 coils were replaced and i really dont want to buy another 150 dollar map sensor
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM

so does anyone know what XC special edition means?