Replacing kickpanels...any gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2015, 01:15 AM

Replacing kickpanels...any gotchas?

I have a 68 Holiday Coupe (w/ AC) and I'm about to replace the kick panels. Any pointers or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:51 AM

No problems at all (at least on a '71). It's a five minute job. Ten minutes if you were like me and replaced them with kick panels with the built in speakers (had to connect the speaker wire).

It really was the easiest thing that I have ever had to do with my cutlass. Don't worry.
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Be careful flexing the long thin pieces that stick up to cover the pinchweld seam - they can crack where they join the main panel (though this is usually invisible when installed).

- Eric
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:35 PM

I had to deal with some frigging sticky stuff behind the panel like caulking seal ,was a pain and messy
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
No problems at all (at least on a '71). It's a five minute job. Ten minutes if you were like me and replaced them with kick panels with the built in speakers (had to connect the speaker wire).

It really was the easiest thing that I have ever had to do with my cutlass. Don't worry.
You were right. Replacing the kick panels was pretty easy. Unfortunately, I got the kick panels that had speaker cutouts so when I installed the speaker, the e-brake was blocked (in up position, trying to push it down would hit the speaker grill).

These kick panels (https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1968/in...ories/CH28448/) didn't give me much clearance from the e-brake lever. Between the kick panel wall and the e-brake foot pad, there was less than 1/4" of space.
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:09 PM
Rocket Renegade!

That's always an issue with those aftermarket kickpanel speakers. You should be able to slide the bracket over far enough to clear the speaker grille. At least that's how it worked in my '69.
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
That's always an issue with those aftermarket kickpanel speakers. You should be able to slide the bracket over far enough to clear the speaker grille. At least that's how it worked in my '69.
Thanks 69442ragtop. Which bracket?
Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:12 AM

Sorry that the e-brake became an issue for you. The kick panels that I got from OPGI already had the speakers installed in them and I had plenty of clearance for the brake.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:18 AM

Sorry that the e-brake became an issue for you. The kick panels that I got from OPGI already had the speakers installed in them and I had plenty of clearance for the brake.
Are these the ones you got chip?
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1968/in...anels/CH26871/

How far out does the speaker grill stick out from the kick panel wall? I was thinking about getting the ones above too but found that I can order the new model of the speaker that it came with separately for much cheaper.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:19 AM

For some reason I can't open OPGI's website right now, but those are probably the one's. Please remember that my cutlass is a '71 so there are most likely some slight differences.

I've said it before on this site. You can buy just about anywhere else on the web and find it cheaper than OPGI, but I have NEVER had a fit problem with anything that I have bought through them. My e-brake has about an inch clearance from my kick panel's speakers. Are they the best speakers in the world, probably not. But combined with the two that I put in the back, the sound comes through clear with no distortion at loud volumes .

And with a convertible, that radio has to be turned WAY up to be heard.

Last edited by chip-powell; July 22nd, 2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:56 AM

Where did you put your rear ones? I'm about to put my system in but it will only be kickpanels and replacing the in dash. You didnt cut into anything in the rear?
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:05 AM

The previous owner had already cut into the wells on top of the rear armrests for speakers. I just put in better ones with better wiring.

I believe that that 70-72 cutlass' that had stock rear speakers, had them in the actual armrests, which I always thought kind of dumb. Whenever someone sat in the back seat, their leg would block the speaker
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I believe that that 70-72 cutlass' that had stock rear speakers, had them in the actual armrests, which I always thought kind of dumb.
Nope. They had them in the superstructure behind the back seat, firing into the convertible top well (and into the folded top itself, when the top was down).

THAT was kind of dumb.

- Eric
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:15 AM

Yeah. I was not completely sure on that one. I have seen coupes that had them in the rear armrests, but did not know if convertibles were different.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have seen coupes that had them in the rear armrests, but did not know if convertibles were different.
2-doors and 4-doors had them in the package shelf.

Any speakers in the rear armrest area were put in by later owners.

- Eric
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by benjamin247
You were right. Replacing the kick panels was pretty easy. Unfortunately, I got the kick panels that had speaker cutouts so when I installed the speaker, the e-brake was blocked (in up position, trying to push it down would hit the speaker grill).

These kick panels (https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1968/in...ories/CH28448/) didn't give me much clearance from the e-brake lever. Between the kick panel wall and the e-brake foot pad, there was less than 1/4" of space.

I would imagine with the speaker installed it would be like trying to install Non-A/C kick panels on the driver's side.....which is impossible without removing the e-brake pedal. Not all that difficult but certainly not as easy as snapping a new one in place