1968 442 convertable multiple question

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2015, 10:29 AM

1968 442 convertable multiple question

I purchased a new convertible top boot cover and i am having a problem mounting the cover from behind the seat area i am not sure if there are clips holding the cover or the cover slides in a channel, if someone has knowledge that would like to share i would appreciate it also if someone has pictures that would be great i also notied on the piston covers there should be snaps my covers do not have snaps can i purchase snaps and install them on the piston covers or should i relace the covers.

The second question is if anyone knows of a professional facility where i can take my vehicle to have the top replaced in new jersey thank you for any help that is shared
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM

On my 69 drop top there's a channel behind the seat that the front of the boot slides into [sometimes it get bent and needs straightening.] My top has fiberglass taps on the back and sides that slide under the trim. IMHO it best to get the car out in the sun and get the boot heated up. Makes it much easier to work with.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by wisniows
I purchased a new convertible top boot cover and i am having a problem mounting the cover from behind the seat area i am not sure if there are clips holding the cover or the cover slides in a channel, if someone has knowledge that would like to share i would appreciate it also if someone has pictures that would be great i also notied on the piston covers there should be snaps my covers do not have snaps can i purchase snaps and install them on the piston covers or should i relace the covers.

The second question is if anyone knows of a professional facility where i can take my vehicle to have the top replaced in new jersey thank you for any help that is shared

I posted the pic of the male plastic piece that gets inserted to the female track in the other thread you started. Have you checked behind your upper rear seat to see if the female track is there? Does your boot have the male hard plastic piece that slides into the track? I put a little lithium grease on it and it goes right in

The male snaps can be perchased at any good hardware store. I assume your new boot has the female snaps on it?

I can't help you with a place in NJ but there are a lot of members on here from that area
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:57 AM

I do see both the female track and the male plastic piece but my track seems to be much larger than the plastic piece that slides in when I do insert the plastic piece it comes right out I was wondering if im missing something and once again thanks for the help
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by wisniows
I do see both the female track and the male plastic piece but my track seems to be much larger than the plastic piece that slides in when I do insert the plastic piece it comes right out I was wondering if im missing something and once again thanks for the help

Can you post a pic of both the female and the male?

It should be a very tight fit.
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM

the female and the male... It should be a very tight fit.

words to live by right there
;-)
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:37 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

IMO when searching for an upholstery shop ask around at the local car hang outs and the local non big box parts houses. Then pay the shop a visit and look at the work and general condition of the shop and its representative and go from there.
Look at some DIY vids on top replacement. If your good with tools and your hands its not extremely difficult. There are a few key items that will be addressed in a good DYI vid such as only use Stainless staples and x brand adhesive, proper alignment/adjustment procedures etc...Make sure the top mechanism, the pump and the lines are all set and ready to go before stretching the top on.
Clean the grounds that feed the top circuit. I think Fusick may have a dvd on top installation or Year One.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Octania
the female and the male... It should be a very tight fit.

words to live by right there
;-)
Welcome to the gutter. That's exactly what I thought when I read that.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:10 PM

Perhaps the female track needs to be squeezed together (with pliers)
so that the slot isn't so wide and the male part falls out!
Old July 11th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Rocket Renegade!

That's what she said!