Parking brake bracket

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM

Parking brake bracket

I'm putting a modern radio (that still looks vintage) and kick panel speakers from Classic Car Radio in my '68 442 convert and due to some botched surgery on my arm, don't have the strength in my right hand to get the parking brake bracket studs back in holes in the firewall because of the tension on the parking brake cable. I even went under the car to try to release the tension on the cable by adjusting it all the way out, but there's a tight coil spring that wraps around the cable and the adjustment didn't take the tension off of the cable. Anyone know any tricks to get the bracket studs back in the firewall? Please help. I swear, sometimes the more I work on this car, the dumber I get. By the way, the replacement kick panels with the speakers in them didn't fit all that great.
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:59 PM

If you have bucket seats, remove the drivers side...and/or hang the handle end from the dash with suitable cord or wire and low enough that you can manoeuver the other end with the lower stud into the hole and then tip the handle end upwards and then shorten the cord or wire to hold it in place so that you may attempt to get a nut on one of the studs.