Special Olds Viewing

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Special Olds Viewing

An opportunity I will have this weekend doesn't come up very often, if ever, especially in here in Nova Scotia. I will not only be visiting the progress on the body work of my 71 442 at www.jeffyorkeautorestoration.com, I have made contact with an original owner of a 72 442 W30. This particular car was a GM executive car, bought by this gentleman as an impulse purchase in May of 1972. It is green, anxious to see the actual color, with a white interior and white stripes. It has never been driven in the winter, has original paint, and hasn't been run in over twenty years. It has dual gate, power windows and locks, 8 track, rally pac, sport and tilt wheel. It has approximately 48,000 miles. He said it is a real shame it just sits, but he has promised it to his son, although I got the feeling that may or may not happen. He lives out west. He told me he bumped it slightly years ago with one of his other cars and put a ding in the rear bumper. He went ahead and bought a nos 442 bumper, which is still in the wrapper. Also, an elderly gentleman backed into the front with his 66 Cadillac, putting a crease in the front bumper and it also hurt the edge of the ram air hood and also damaged the headlight bezel. He also bought a new front bumper, awaiting its day in the sun. Also, a mouse got in the headliner, leaving a small hole. True to form, he bought a new headliner, still not installed. He complained he got lazy in retirement and needs to be given a kick in the butt.
My source told me it was a 71 model, my favorite year, but who would complain about this vehicle. It certainly will be interesting to see it and he was already apologizing that it just sits and the garage is very cluttered and the car will be dust covered. He seems to be somewhat of an enthusiast, talking about the ram air hood and he thinks it has a 3:42 rear end.
So if I am correct, changes from the 71 442 would include: no aluminum intake, no special letter heads (large valve Ga heads), no red liners, Cutlass on the glove box, no chrome arm rest backing plates. I do believe it would still have the OW transmission and anti-spin rear. An "X" should be in the VIN. All good?

I plan on taking a lot of pictures for detail purposes. Its hard to find an original owner of a W car. This gentleman is in his early seventies. Unselfishly, ha, I'll be leaving my name and numbers with him, in the event things don't pan out as he anticipates. The car and other vehicles are stored in an old firehall in this small town. I've read about these type of circumstances, but I never thought I would have the opportunity to participate in such a story. I'll post pictures next week. Here's hoping it all works out and the car is worth it.
Brian
Old September 18th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Looking forward to the pictures.