Where to find the woodgrain??

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Luser

Smile Where to find the woodgrain??

Gentlemen and possible ladies...getting set to start the winter project of a frame-on body resto of my brother's '70 VISTA. Any ideas or contacts where I could find the woodgrain? Is there a kit or do I have to wing it with a woodgrain contact paper(possibly 3M)...any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Gentlemen and possible ladies...getting set to start the winter project of a frame-on body resto of my brother's '70 VISTA. Any ideas or contacts where I could find the woodgrain? Is there a kit or do I have to wing it with a woodgrain contact paper(possibly 3M)...any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
New Life Auto Trim (Riverside, CA) - 909-785-7800
- Beaver Stripes & Molding Supply (Phoenix, AZ); 602-269-8000
- J.C. Whitney carries it in various sizes.....312-431-6102
3M (3M Automotive Trades Division, 3M Center 223-6N, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000, 800-364-3577) no longer manufactures the OEM woodgrain because Chrysler and GM have stopped using it. However, they do manufacture woodgrain for the aftermarket and RV industry, but they don't market it themselves. 3M sells it to a company called Sharpline Converting. Sharpline will sell it to you or guide you to a distributor in your area, usually an auto striping or graphics supplier. The woodgrain comes in three colors:
1.Berma Teak #579 (light in color).
2.Marine Teak #581 (darker in color).
3.Cherry Oak #578 (reddish in color).

You should be able to request a sample. It comes in 15", 18", and 30" widths, with lengths from 10 to 50 yards. Some have reported that this woodgrain is thinner than the OEM. (Thanks to Mike Bruyere for the 3M information.)
Bunny Bakers, PO Box 3950, Salem OR 97302. They have many, many types & colors of fake wood, in 54" rolls, from regular grain, cross cut, 1/4 cut, burls etc. They can even do the black lines in Ford trim. They will also send samples.
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Cool, another Vista Cruiser saved from the crusher. I have a '71 two seater, three year one winter project, it will be Nordic blue again in the spring hopefully.
The woodgrain (or applique as the manual calls it) is 3M vinyl as 442garage says and is available but no longer from GM, 3M Di-Noc specifically. NOS stuff comes up rarely and never enough to do a car.
The widths and lengths are very important or you end up with a lot of very expensive waste or the grain not matching on the doors and front fender. There are nine seperate pieces used on each side and one for the tailgate. The fenders are three seperate pieces, doors one each, quarters use four but one is just a little hunk.
I may go with Woodgrains for Wagons in Long Beach CA but still haven't made up my mind, have to check around some more.

I made a crude but effective drawing I will attach (if you promise not to laugh ) that shows sizes and what size pieces would be needed with the wrapping and under the trim. I sent it to them last year at their request to get an idea of what the Vistas needed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/...cfda2c82_o.jpg

The widest piece shows about 14 inches. They use 18 inch to be sure that it covers and you can wrap it around the edges and go under the trim with not too much waste. The lengths are made individually so waste is eliminated and you don't lose a useless end.
In fact, they just sent me a post card with a Country Squire on it to keep them in mind.

They have a Birch Wood color that is a little light but looks pretty good that I may go with unless I can find better. I have a sample they sent me and it is much darker than the color on their website, but colors are never correct online. The original was more of a dark brown with a walnut grain and what they have now in walnut is mostly for Fords and is too red IMO but the PC color thing could be skewing it.
I was just looking at their new photo gallery and the Cheby looks good, have to find out what it is.

I like their logo... "Got Woodgrain?"

http://www.woodgrain4wagons.com/

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 25th, 2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks 442garage and amh555 for the quick and thorough responses. If I can't find it now then I must be blind! I will try your suggestions and let you know how I make out. Also, amh555, the drawing is actually very good. Maybe I'll send it to the same guys you did and get some samples. It's awesome to have a network of good people with the same passion for oldses as myself. Also, I'll get some before, during and after pics posted as soon as I have them...
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Cool, keep up to date, pics with stories are a liked very much here.
I guess the drawing is okay, the printing is a little sloppy.

Whoever you use may want to add a little to those numbers to be sure it covers wrapping around the edges. I have been known to make a mistake or two, , so you may want to double check before ordering anything, maybe with some paper cut to size if you really want to be sure.

Allan
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Seems like I read in this month's Hemmings Classic Car that Di-Noc is being made again. Trouble is the mag is at the other house.

Seems like I remember some years the stuff was translucent so the woodgrain would take on the color of the car.
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Just received my wood grain from JC Whitney 2 days ago for my project. Three widths with 20 ft length.
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

Let us know how it goes yogi442, need pics. I'm open to anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did that rocketraider, the later stuff was thinner. The old stuff is like heavy contact paper and is printed on a tan di-noc vinyl.

The stuff sure protects the bottom of the sides, the tan colored steel edges to protect the woodgrain help too.
I stripped it off and it looked like fresh shiny paint where it didn't take the paint off with it.

Allan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/...e3f0b48187.jpg

Last edited by Bluevista; November 27th, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM

you might find one on autopartswarehouse.com..i purchase most of my oldsmobile and cadillac parts there..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; June 22nd, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM

I'm wondering if you have installed the woodgrain on your wagon? I have a convertible that needs interior door, dash and console woodgrain. I bought a new plastic bezel arond the gauges and the apporpriate woodgrain. I buggered it up when trying to install it with 3M spay glue and the woodgrain became too soft when the glue was applied causing the openings for the gauges to stretch somewhat. If anyone knows how to do this so it looks like factory (other than taking it to a special shop), please let me know. Also, does anyplace sell individual woodgrain pre cut pieces? I only want to do the console but it seems everyone wants to sell an entire kit. I guess I'd prefer to buy the metal backed pieces. Thanks
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Registered

I finally came up with something close for the Vista. There are only a couple of places that make the correct cast vinyl woodgrain with a gloss surface for cars so not much choice.

I'm going to go with Sharpline Converting 2 mil digital Cherry Oak, has the nicest grain pattern IMO and no real noticeable repeats in the pattern. It's not as defined or does it have a wild a grain as the original stuff, a little ligher gauge. Sharpline printed a lot of the original GM woodgrain on 3M Di-Noc vinyl . It's printed on 3M high performance automotive grade vinyl now, is supposed to be good stuff, not sign material. The Di-Noc is being made again but it's much heavier and doesn't have the gloss surface, not recommended for cars.

The paint on my car is supposed to be done this week so I have to get something. The woodgrain matches the woodgrain trim pretty good, that was matched at the paint store from a back unfaded portion of a piece, no original codes for it?
The blue paint card is a sprayout sample of my paint, 1971 code 24 Nordic Blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
enginepaint 017s.jpg (46.6 KB, 56 views)
enginepaint 019s.jpg (52.1 KB, 43 views)
Woodgrain 017s.jpg (71.9 KB, 60 views)
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Registered Luser

Excellent...if it is up to your standards, it will be up to mine! My brother and I were just talking about you too this weekend Allan! I told him your car was being painted, and you would have to find woodgrain soon! And just like on cue, you did! Your ears must have been ringing..... Keep me updated on the process forward!
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Matthew Reader

Wondering how hard it is to install it?

Woodgrain for wagons wants $700 for enough woodgrain to do my Custom Cruiser, and $300 to install it...

Was it hard, or is paying $300 for an installation totally worth it?
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds

Woodgrain for wagons wants $700 for enough woodgrain to do my Custom Cruiser, and $300 to install it...

Depends on how comfortable you are with your skills. This isn't a simple peel-and-stick. You need to cut the parts to shape for each location. Use tape to align the woodgrain pieces with the backing still on them and make marks to allow re-installation. Once the pieces are located, thoroughly clean and degrease the application areas, using pre-cleaner from an auto paint supplier. The trick to installing the appliqué is to use water with a few drops of dish soap in it to wet the surface. Peel the backing off the woodgrain and align with your previously-applied marks. The soapy water allows you to slide the woodgrain and work the air bubbles out with a squeegee. You may need to use a heat gun to get the appliqué to conform to the shape of the car. As the water dries, the woodgrain will adhere. If you screw up, you'll waste that piece of woodgrain, since the adhesive is pressure sensitive.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds

It isn't that easy, even with the water and soap solution once it sticks it's stuck and for what it costs it's can start getting real expensive to practice with and have to tear off. The bubbles aren't that easy to get out, it looks easy but there's a lot of experience and technique involved, special rubber squeegee.
I would pay the 300 bucks, if he screws it up he has to eat it.
I still don't like the way that guy does woodgrain, make sure he knows what you want, show him pics of an original, ask to see other jobs. I told him I was concerned about the Sportwagon in his pics and wanted panels that the grains would line up on and he insisted it couldn't be done and thats the way they were, he's full of it.
Maybe he changed his tune in the last few years, still has that car on the site though, I'd be embarassed if I did that thing.
Attached Images
buicksportwagon2.jpg (23.0 KB, 55 views)
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Matthew Reader

Originally Posted by Bluevista
It isn't that easy, even with the water and soap solution once it sticks it's stuck and for what it costs it's can start getting real expensive to practice with and have to tear off.

Maybe he changed his tune in the last few years, still has that car on the site though, I'd be embarassed if I did that thing.
Thanks, he seemed like a nice enough guy on the phone...I see what you mean about the Sportwagon. I definitely would want the grain to line up. My wagon isn't going to be an amazing show car, just a nice driver, but still don't want it to look like I butchered it up myself at home.

Know of anyone else in Southern California that would be a good alternative to install this?
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:58 AM
4R5

Hi, opening a very old post... Allan (Bluevista), do you still have the woodgrain drawing(s) available? I'm going to be doing my '71 Vista and they would be quite helpful. Thanks!