any vista cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Cool any vista cruisers?

I'm working on a 1965 olds vista cruizer. My Dad and brother are building his 65 442. Any other wagons out there? I'm new here I'm usually a chevy guy but thought I'd try something different. I've despised olds my whole life having to always work on my dads now here I am working on one.
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Past Administrator

Errrrrrrmm, not a good start, despising the Oldsmobiles. Was it because your dad din't pay you?
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM

I think working out with your Chevy is just fine. I don't think your new plan will be feasible. Anyways, good luck!

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

yeah the wagon has been a tough one, No parts unless they are interchangable with a 442 or cutlass. I got a free a buick sport wagon and alot of the parts interchanged so I got lucky there. All the top glass was good. I think it will be a long project but I'm young and have time to work on it a little at a time. They are pretty rare and not even parts on Ebay. We'll see how it goes. My dad and bro has jsut about finished his 442
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM
2Blue 55

Hello, and welcome to our site, I have seen a few wagon guys around, I am sure you will enjoy your olds, Even though you weren't a old fan when you started, you will be when you are done. All the best with your new project, Let us know how it progresses.

Ps, Fusick, Kanter, and USA parts suppliers are excellent to deal with. Another guy who carries every gasket is Ron's classic car gaskets, his E mail is Hotwheels68442@aol.com
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Builder of the strange

I'm the owner of a 1972 Vista Cruiser myself here in Texas. I've been using a lot of Cutlass/442 parts myself for mine. I always thought the vista roof was really cool and there is a lot of potential to make it a great turnpike cruiser yet blow some doors in on Camaro's and Mustangs. I also own a 1979 B&B Oldsmobile Endloader (hearse) - long term project - 1,000hp twin turbo 455 W-30 Pro Street when finished!

Frank Redmond
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Past Administrator

Frank, there is a guy over at Realoldspower.com that has a twin turbo setup too. If you aren't finished with it yet or would just like to compare setups, go on over there a search it. Sorry I can't recall his username but searching "twin-turbo" should get you some hits.
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Builder of the strange

I'm going to have to check that out as I came up with my turbo thoughts on my own (a nite of killing too many brain cells drinking beer I think). I have a program that I used that allowed me to try different combinations of parts and found using a Mitsu turbo unit (small turbo) and a larger unit from a Power Stroke should get me to the 1,000hp range when both are spooled thanks to line locks and trans lock. The best part is, I'm also looking at 23-25 mpg from it on the highway thanks in part to the specially built 700R4, the 3.55:1 axle and 31x21.5-R15 Pro Street Radials.

I look forward to seeing what other have done turbo wise on an otherwise non-turbo application.
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM

This has nothing to do with finding parts but it is just trivial stuff for young Vista Cruiser and Buick Sport Wagon owners. I was big into the custom vans (Hippy party wagons) in the 70's and a lot of these cars lost there lids to be grafted onto the vans.Made a "WAY COOL RIDE MAN!)
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Yes, I've known about that too. Anyone that I knew that had done that to a wonderful Vista-Cruiser I'd say, "Shame on you!"
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM

You think a vista cruiser is rare, Find me a Plymouth Sattelite Regent Wagon, I've seen 2 others in my life. I've seen about 15 or 20 vista cruisers at car shows. The main thing is that wagons were almost always less produced than all other cars, and when they were done with their duty, they had no resale and were junked years ago.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM

I have a 72 VC. Just put a 455 in it. It is fixed up pertty nice. I take it to a lot off car shows, and I have a 70 W30, and I get as much attention, and coments in the VC as the 442.
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I have a 72 VC. Just put a 455 in it. It is fixed up pertty nice. I take it to a lot off car shows, and I have a 70 W30, and I get as much attention, and coments in the VC as the 442.
And it's a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Vista!

C.J.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM

ive got a 65 and 66 v /cruisers. the 65 runs and drives but is kinda rough. i bought the 66 thinking i was going to use parts from it but found out the body design changed just enough so i cant use the parts. the 66 doesnt run and the interior is real rough. i like you had no desire to own an olds ( im a mopar guy), but i like v /cruisers.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM

by the way, what can a guy do for the garnish moldings(interior) around the rea upper and lower windows? they are rusted on both my wagons. thanks, roger
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

I have a 66 Vista Cruiser that I need some parts for. Rear bumper and all side / wheel trim chrome. Do you have any parts for sale?

Dave 920-216-1295
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM

70 Vista Cruiser. Gold on gold with cloth inside. It's an original 350 car but has, of all things, a 400 in it right now.
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Any vista cruisers?

I have a 1965 Vista Cruiser . Just did the disc brake conversion , rear sway bar and arms , now getting ready for body and paint ... Slow process but coming along , have the turbo 400 trans to put in .. need to do a motor ....Good Luck !!
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Howdy, I have a 1971 Vista Cruiser 2 seater, 350 2 barrel TH 400, Nordic blue with a dark blue interior, got it in fall of '06. I'm restoring it to original, the chassis and engine are now rebuilt and detailed, runs good and drives smooth. I stripped it to bare metal and did all the body work and epoxy primed it last summer, waiting on painters now (good ones are hard to nail down). My seemingly endless project has been straightening and buffing/polishing the stainless trim, these cars do have a few feet on them.

Allan
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Cool

1967 Vista Cruiser here yes parts a bit of a challenge but has been fun lots of research and lots of learning. Only been at this VC about 6 months Had a blown Big block Chevy in a 69 Pro Street Broncobefore this one. I really like the Olds not near the expence to keep up with. And love this web site, great bunch! Oh and Iam looking for right front door panel black and right door Mirror and a pair of chicken lips! reguards all!
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
Howdy, I have a 1971 Vista Cruiser 2 seater, 350 2 barrel TH 400, Nordic blue with a dark blue interior, got it in fall of '06. I'm restoring it to original, the chassis and engine are now rebuilt and detailed, runs good and drives smooth. I stripped it to bare metal and did all the body work and epoxy primed it last summer, waiting on painters now (good ones are hard to nail down). My seemingly endless project has been straightening and buffing/polishing the stainless trim, these cars do have a few feet on them.

Allan
I know a guy in Wisconsin, actually a couple who have excellent reputations. if you are willing to travel, I could track down their numbers. they own small shops and work quietly if you get my drift.
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by csstrux
I know a guy in Wisconsin, actually a couple who have excellent reputations. if you are willing to travel, I could track down their numbers. they own small shops and work quietly if you get my drift.

Thanks for the heads up, but I finally was able to find a decent shop that is reasonable and will work on older cars. The owner wants a bunch of trim work done at his house so it should be a win-win situation, the less cash that changes hands the better.
I had the car more or less sold a few weeks back because of some unexpected major medical expenses my insurance didn't cover totally, but I just couldn't go through with it. I've been through a lot worse and will handle it, I need the cars to maintain my mental health.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 8th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I hear you. We've hit some hard times too. not medical though (buis related) and was considering letting the car go... but don't think that would be a good idea as far as stress relief. I take it the med issues were not critical? hope things are all right.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I love my 69 Vista, Here are some before and after pics. Check Hennings etc for Arizona junk yards. Let your fingers do the dailing and when ya find parts like roof glass or one of the 50 pieces of chrome on these beauties BUY IT. Lucklly I was able to find,buy and store 2 sets of glass and all of the chrome. Just in case

Mine has buckets, center consol, tilt, 455, 15" SSII, air shocks, 3rd seat, HD radiator and towing package
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vistacr #1.jpg (102.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0217.jpg (72.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 8th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM

those must be before and after pics. nice looking ride. I would like to do something similar with a 79 cutty cruiser. A friend wraped mine around a pole on an icy road. I have missed that car ever since her demise, chubby engine and all.
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM

those must be before and after pics.
Yes they are, I thought my fat fingers typed that, but I guess not.
I really do love this car, it's flat out fun
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I'll get one...one of these days. Right now things are at a stand still when it comes to $$$ but am hoping things will start breaking free here soon. Our customers are all in transition right now and freight brokers as a whole are thieves.
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I'll get one...one of these days. Right now things are at a stand still when it comes to $$$ but am hoping things will start breaking free here soon. Our customers are all in transition right now and freight brokers as a whole are thieves.

Do you mean LTL carriers?
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Registered

I hear you. We've hit some hard times too. not medical though (buis related) and was considering letting the car go... but don't think that would be a good idea as far as stress relief. I take it the med issues were not critical? hope things are all right.
Thanks for the concern, things could be better for my wife and daughter but I'm a pretty lucky guy to have and be able to take care of them. My wife has aggressive rheumatoid arthritis that just really started affecting her and and the diagnosis for her future isn't good, in a lot of pain all the time but never complains, she is a saint. My daughter was just diagnosed with epilepsy recently after she had a seizure and ran her car off the road. They have started her on meds that seem to be working, she should be okay as long as she keeps taking them the rest of her life. The poor kid is a senior in high school so her most memorable times are really messed up with her condition and not being allowed to drive, she is a national honor student and a really good kid.
My wife really wants the Vista Cruiser done so she can drive it (then she knows I won't sell it), a real car guy since I met her cruising in my primer grey '55 Furd at Big Boy 35 years ago, been married 28 years today.
Big night out, she made a pork roast for dinner and rented the new Speed Racer DVD (her choice) for the evenings entertainment, life is good.

Allan
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM

James

No I am an independent, primarily truckload flat bedder. I haul primarily steel goods, and construction material. lumber, trim and baseboard. Occasionally shingles or poverty rock, but will put about anything on the deck that will fit legally and can be tied down. Lately construction in my area has been very slow, and steel is almost at a stand still. We have set up our business to stay in the great lakes region, meaning WI IL IN OH and sometimes IA, and MN. We have limited our range for insurance purposes and service. If you are no more than 300 miles from a customer you can usually get to him within 24 hrs. Also we have had problems with employees, and subcontractors in the past, so have stayed a single truck operation by choice. That has limited how many accounts we could serve, but controlled quality, presentation, and attitude on site if you get my meaning. We live in an area that is being hit pretty hard by the economy and don't have many established contacts in areas that are still doing reasonably well. In situations like this we utilize what is called a load board. Brokers, and carriers with brokering authority will post available loads on the board for common carriers to bid on. Right now there are A LOT of carriers going out of business. We have been fortunate, and have not felt the pinch up until august. I got cut off in Chicago while crossing some rail road tracks. The violent stopping, combined with steering, and jarring resulted in an equipment failure, causing the loss of the load, and a snoot full of damage to my tractor. this put us out of commission for an extended period, and have not been able to get back up in the saddle since. Any how, right now the surviving carriers are essentially slitting their own throats and moving freight at below cost, just to make payments. The brokers are taking maximum advantage of this. I could go on an on about this so this is the short answer... no not the ltl carriers. They are the only ones doing OK right now. I have even considdered talking to fed ex about powering some of their freight.
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM

AMH

Sorry to hear about the little ones epilepsy. I can't even imagine how hard that must be for her. Hopefully the medication is controlling it, and she will be able to live a full and happy life. I'm partially aware of Rheumatoid arthritis, I have been having problems with my joints for the last couple years, and don't think I would want to deal with that. You got lucky when you married her, as she must have a ton of strength and real grit to face it as graciously as she has. Congrats on 28 years in a time when marriage seems to be a dying institution, I'm on eight, wish us luck. What year is your vista?
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Chad very interesting, I never knew how that worked. Hang in there.
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Allen.

In my experience, women are tougher then men anyway, we complain about a cut finger and they have babys and still clean, cook, take the kids to school, etc. I have been married for 41 years and could not be where I am today without my wife. She is by best friend and just saw me through 11 months of recovery from a serious kidney illness all the while putting up with my trying to build the 57 olds.

It must be a blessing for you to have such a strong wife and daughter

Good luck

Pat
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for the kind words, you are right and I'm really blessed she married me, best thing that ever happened. Married eight years is quite an accomplishment anymore and I do wish you luck in the future csstrux. 41 years is a real milestone Pat and I know what you mean, us guys are babies compared to the women. I had neck surgery and she was out shoveling snow and cutting the grass, I think she liked it.

My Vista is a '71, 2 seater, stock 350 2-barrel with a T-400. It's from California so it's really clean rustwise (guys tell me all CA cars aren't in such nice shape) from the Los Angeles area then stored 15 years in Wisconsin. All it needs is paint and the woodgrain now, almost completely rebuilt otherwise.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 9th, 2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: speling
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Found this on craigslist....San Diego.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/903001534.html
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yogi442

What a beauty! What is a little more rust than a California car? It looks like a decent car, hope it finds a good home and nobody buys it for parts or another one bites the dust. Nobody wants to spend the money on wagons and they are the best deals out there IMO, heck..you get 2 extra doors and the whole thing is interior.

Allan
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Not to mention 4 sunvisors
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Thank you both, we are still standing. It looks like we will be able to get rolling again with one of our bigger customers in December. I just hope we can find enough paying freight in the mean time. If it had not been for the incident in Chicago, we would be skating right now. The say that if He leads you to it, He will lead you through it. It's still scary though with so much money on the line, and everything having lost so much value. I can't sell out and expect to even zero out. They are closing the gm plant here in town and last time I talked to our bank 54 houses went on the market that day. Luckily we have been here before and tend to be careful about staying out of consumer, and credit card debt.

Last edited by csstrux; November 9th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by yogi442

LOOK 15" SSII/III makes this wagon a flat out bargain

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
69 vista cruiser

I have a 69 Vista Cruiser, all original I believe even numbers matching, haven't really checked yet. Shes my baby, I have been hard up with cash a lot lately due to medical issues and have attempted to sell her but I cant. I will hate my sell if I do. Its my first oldsmobile and first classic car. I have decided to sell my 98 grand prix instead. I have wanted a grand prix for years and finally got it a few months back but the wagon is way more important to me, I will be able to get another grand prix down the road. My car needs a lot of work, some of you have seen pictures from previous postings but I think it will be worth it no matter how long it takes to get it done. One nice thing is my interior is almost in excellent shape. The body isn't to bad, just a lot of surface rust. I have a buddy with a 403 which we plan on dropping in it. I plan to keep the rocket, but i want to pull it out to rebuild it anyhow. The plans for the car is to paint it black with wood grain and maybe a mural on the tail gate. Anyhow its funny how much a car can mean so much to someone, I think i would hate myself with out that car, and i havent even gotten to drive it yet. I have only seen one other one in person in my life and its actually in my town and its a 71 but still. These cars seem to be alot rarer then most cars when its time to find parts for them.

Quick Reply: any vista cruisers?