Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Rear leaf springs 57/98

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Rear leaf springs 57/98

Has any one replace the rear springs on a 57 /98?
If so, who were the vendors ???
I have seen replacements for sale, but I am not sure about the quality offered. The factory/original springs have fixing bolts, silencers etc.
Having replaced springs in the past on older cars, most were not of the same O E quality.
Current option is to have them replicated.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Fletch
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM

I don't know about your area but there is a place here in Seattle that I have had springs rebuilt several times in the past. They have always done a great job on the reparching. Try for a search in your area.
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks Citcapp: I am in Texas, Northwest a bit far... Courious as to the quality of Kanter or some of the others. Price seems to be greater than having new one's mfg.
Solved some of the wiper issues... but would sure like to see your electric wiper mod's. If you have time, posting a few pictures would be great.
Thanks again,
Fletch
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM

rear springs

Do you mean, re-arched when you replied ,rebuilt? My car has a little rear end sag and I was thinking about having the springs re-arched. A local blacksmith used to do this but his shop has been closed for a few years now and I have no idea where to go to get this kind of repair taken care of.
Also what did you do to fix your wiper problem? I'm still fighting mine...Tedd
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Tedd: as to the springs, I have had poor luck with re-arched springs. Tried them on several classic cars.. complete failures after 6 months.There are several places I have found that will attempt to replicate the spings using virgin steel.
Wipers: Bought a rebuilt wiper motor from Fusics as well as a new fuel pump. Not the best design, I believe several people have the electric conversion so that it would look factory. Would like to see some pictures.
Regards,
Fletch
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM

I just looked at Kanter catalog and had a mild heart attack..$565 for just the springs. Ahh they also state allow 4-6 weeks for delivery which makes me believe another company is making them for Kanter
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM

leaf springs,57/98

Thanks for the follow-up. I saw the price from Kanter.. after it is all said and done, fabricating a new set that mirrors the orginal will be the thing to do.
Will let everone know as to price and final product.
Fletch
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM

I will post picture of the electric conversion this evening. As I said before it doesn't work very well. I got a good deal on a 57 chev 2 speed electric wiper motor and I am going to try this next. I will keep you post on the success or lack there of this fix.

In Seattle we have Craigs Auto Spring Co. When I did off road racing he build several spring setups for me plus rebuilt the springs on my 56 chev and other cars I have owned. Always did a great job with lasting results.

From what I hear though it is a dying industry. Lack of demand and the old arts just seem to go away. The same goes for the auto electric repair shops used to be a lot of them around, now only a few left and that is mostly due to heavy haul trucks.
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks Citcapp................ I plan to address the leaf spring issue next week for a take off. Too cold this week to lay on the ground..
Will advise as to mfg results.
Fletch
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM

UpDate: Decided to purchase new springs, now looking for RearShackles, any one purchase a shackle kit lately for a 57/98 ???
Thanks,
Fletch
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM

hello fletch ,

fusick automotive is a exelent place to order parts yust look on there site www.fusick.com very nice guys to deal with .

belguim greetz marc
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Yes indeed. I purchased the kit from them, do not know why I failed to contact them in the first place, Since I bought the springs some place else.
By the way: If any one owns a 98/ you need a 6 leaf spring with a 9 5/8 arch.
Standard spring suggested for 57 Olds 88 is too soft. Old Original 98/ leaf spring has more arch than 88 replacement.