Need advice to get bell housing bolts out.

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Need advice to get bell housing bolts out.

This is probably a pretty dumb question. I need to know exactly what tools I need to get the hard to get to bolts out of the bellhousing. I am going to the junkyard to pull a tranny and dont want to come un prepared. As far as I know I need a really long extension wih a swivel??? Is there any other tricks someone might know? By the way the trans will be coming from an Olds powered 80's Chevy station wagon.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Just the facts...

bring a floor jack too, you can then manipulate the trannny. the jack handle(if hollow) can be used as a leverage device for rusted bolts when slid over your ratchet handle. iirc, the bolts are 9/16" or 5/8". bring an assortment of combination wrenches, you can get the top 2 out with a combo wrench and you'll need them for the u-joint strap bolts. also some pb blaster or equivalent, a decent pry bar, diagonal cutters, and a hammer. a small bucket with a tight-fitting lid should be placed under the output shaft area to catch the fluid that will drain when you slide out the driveshaft yoke. a couple of bungee cords, duct tape, or mechanics wire can be used to keep the torque converter from falling off. remove the distributor cap(at least), before you lower the tail of the tranny. a small piece of 2 by 4 works to hold the engine in place. finally, a durable plastic bag or 2 and some rubber bands for capping off the output shaft opening, to prevent making a mess in what ever is going to haul the tranny.

bill
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM

one way is as you said, the right tools and a lot of time

Then theres the quick method a cold chisel and a hammer, if they will let you do that

I used a air chisel blade and hammer to slice right through some sheet metal

A circle saw on a battery powered drill another option, you attack it straight on with the wrench
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM

I went to the junkyard today and I got it out. I only had a problem getting one of the bellhousing bolts out. I realised I was able to break it loose with a wrench from the top, and I finished it with a ratchet. They dont let you bring a jack in, so I just stuck two tires under the trans and with alot of prying an pulling it finally droped out! It only took me around two or three hours, so it wasnt that bad for being the first trans I have pulled.
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Past Administrator

Good work! The next one won't take as long now.