'66 TORO - DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "94" and "96" MODEL SERIES

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Randy C.

'66 TORO - DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "94" and "96" MODEL SERIES

I saw a most unique 1966 Toronado today and I have a question regarding the code for "model series". I am looking for the difference between "94" and "96". The shop manual points out that the "9" stands for "Toronado" and the the "4" or "6" represent the engine in the Toronado, but it doesn't explain specifically what the "4" or "6" represent. Up until now, I always thought the '66 Toronado came with the 425ci engine and that there weren't any differences in the 425ci engine. Is it possible there were two different horsepowers available for the 425ci engine in the '66 Toronado? If someone could explain the difference to me in model series "94" and "96" for the '66 Toronado, that would be great! The car I saw today was a "96".

This car is unique in that it also has another engine installed just behind the back seat that drives the rear wheels. Yes, there are two 425ci engines (both block #389244D with "B" heads (#389395), intake manifold 387958, and '66 model year "OJ" transmissions). It was an early production car, built in the 3rd week of September 1965, and modified shortly thereafter. I understand there is one other Toronado, very similar to the car I saw today, that was built before this car was modified. I also understand that the car I saw today has a cleaner finish (with back seat installed and cover over back part of engine in the trunk so there is actually some useable trunk space) than with the modifications on the first car (no back seat and no trunk space). It is truly unique - that's all I can say!

If someone could explain "94" and "96" to me, I will appreciate it very much. I'm an A-body Olds person and I haven't wandered out of that arena up until now.

Best Regards,
Randy Corrigan
Olympia WA
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Trying to remember member

The 94 was the standard Toronado. The 96 was the "Deluxe" Toronado. Trim level difference, same engine. The Deluxe was much more popular, by about 7-1.
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Oldsdruid

To expound a bit, 9400 series Toro had a standard square-backed bench seat with short armrests and PW switches on the doorpanels. 9600 Deluxes had Strato-Bench with center armrest and full length door armrests with power window controls in the armrests.

The strange ones are the 68-70 9400 with Y69 Deluxe interior trim and manual windows.
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Randy C.

Thank you for your answers, Kurt and RocketRaider! That helps in explaining the difference to the owner of the unusual Toronado.

By the way, the owner has this car for sale. It can be seen at http://www.ronsusser.com/. Go to the site and then insert "Toronado" in the search box. It will come up with two Toronados, both with 2 engines. The white one is the one I saw yesterday. Judging by the pictures, the white one is a much better creation than the first one that was built. The first one (maroon) one has already sold, they say, for $75K!

Interesting cars. Even though it says the car can be operated with either engine separately, or with both engines, I wouldn't think one should go very far on just one engine. I'm thinking that the transmission would get destroyed on the non-operating engine over a longer distance. But, then again, I just don't know the mechanics of this vehicle. It's unique!

Randy C.