89 cutlass cierra wont start (help)

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Question 89 cutlass cierra wont start (help)

Hi,

I have a 89 cutlass ciera and it wont start. I drove it to work yesterday without noticing any problems. I went out to go home 8 hours later and the car wont start. The battery is good and the starter seems to be working, but the car just wont turn over??

Any thoughts ??? ( I dont know much about cars)
Thanks
nayner
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM

You say starter seems to be working, but the engine doesn't turn over. Do you hear the starter engage with the flywheel (a loud click), but the engine doesn't turn? Or does the engine turn and not fire up?
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM

well, you can hear the starter turning like it is supposed to and then the engine just wont fire up.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Past Administrator

Your starter soldenoid is bad. It is a part of the starter so in essence, you need a new starter. Shouldn't cost too much, unless you have someone do it for you, the labor is probably about 1.5 hr by the book.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Really, you sound very certain that that is what it could be.

It happened at work yesterday and I called road side assistance and that guy said it doesnt smell like it is getting gas, but I dont know if you would really be able to smell that with fuel injectors. I dont think he realized I had those.

Well thanks for your help. I guess I will see how much a stater costs.
Renee
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM

the same thing happend to me. I drove the car for a couple hours and then I ran into my house for something. when I got back out it wouldn't start. It clicks and tries to turn over but wont catch. a buddy told me i need an alternator, so I called a mechanic and he said I needed a new battery, even though mine was only a year old. this was last monday, and I paid $108. Today i went to mobil to put air in my tires and it died there. the mobil guy told me it was the alternator. I called the mechanic i went to asking about an alternator last week , but im afraid to take the car back there again, because he didn't fix the problem last week, and i think 108 is too much to pay for a battery. What do u guys think?
I need these boards. if I lurk long enough I may pick some things up. I'm a single mom on a tight budget and pretty much only know how to drive the car and put gas in it. But, I have a willingness to learn
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

I think you are right. There is an old saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!". He isn't a good mechanic if he didn't check the alternator and sold you a battery outright, and then at that price! I could buy two or maybe three batteries to fit in your car. It could also be the starter solenoid so don't go buy an alternator or telling a mechanic you need an alternator. Tell him what you told us and let him do his job.

edit; nayner, was it the starter in your car?