olds 350 tri-power???

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM

olds 350 tri-power???

Okay, heres a new one...

Does anyone know if the 455 tri-power setup will fit the rocket 350?

if not, did/does the chevy/pontiac tri-power set up work on olds?

Lastly, if the answer is "no" to all of the above, did a rod shop or custom shop build such a setup?

Thanks for the help...

***just a note; I know what you all are thinking, "why bother with putting money into the 350? just go with a 455". I am a weird kinda person in that I want to take what my c'lass has there already and improve it. Kinda how the rodders from back in the day did. If I really wanted it to be all about power, I'd just dust the olds powerplant completely and get GM crate 572ci, but wheres the fun in that?
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Tripower was a 66 only option for 442s and dealer installs. The "big dog" was a 400, although it will bolt up to a 425 and 455. Won't fit a 350 without major modification. Pontiac tripower won't fit in any way. I don't know of any aftermarket.

Why not just get a built QJet? Talk to 70Wcars on this board. He's running mid-11s with one on his 455...and he builds great ones! I'm using one myself and can recommend his services wholeheartedly. In fact,he's an engine builder/blueprinter and could recommend a good combo.

There's enough of us here that flog 350s because...well...they are great little motors with a lot of potential.

C.J.

P.S. That 442 info is assuming you aren't talking about the late 50s J-2 setup which won't fit anything modern.
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the help...

Thanks for the recommendation, CJ/Tejasred.

I don't know, I've never had the plessure of working on any tri-power (d*dge, Plym*uth, Po*tiac, or Ch*vy unit) and just figured it would be unique and a learning experience just the same. Qjet with a good port matched manifold or an edlebrock performer manifold was an option but 4bbl are a dime a dozen. I guess you're right though and I figure i'll just do a 4bbl setup.

I know I should search the forums first, but since this thread is already started, can i get some advice regarding heads for the 350 rocket?

Whats a better option?:

1) Pocket port, polish and install oversized valves in the stock factory rocket 350 heads...

or

2) who makes good heads for the rocket 350?

Like to know if people are getting good flow/performance out of the stock heads after modification. I want to make sure its worth it before a do something irreversible. I know olds 350 are not that sought after but nastalgia and all.

thanks for the help
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM

by the way...

I have a completely stock rocket 350 with a rochester 2bbl... uh huh, good ol' rocky 2. So I would have to source a 4 bbl manifold as well.

Thx again...
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Aftermarket heads for a low compression, stock motor would be a waste of money. A good pocket porting job should be all you need even for a moderate build, IMHO.

Performer and Performer RPMs with a QJet may be a dime a dozen...but maybe that's because they work!

Like I said, "70Wcars" can give you some good recommendations.

C.J.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the recomendation and i have already emailed 70wcars.

"...cause they work"...
I know, But like i said, i was going for something more unique. Did not mean to offend...

Other that a port job on the stock heads, do you have any experience with oversizing the valves, polishing or any other mods? If so, are there signifigant advantages or disadvantages?

thx
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Dan S can help you out a lot in that....he's built a lot of Olds motors.

C.J.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Thank you,
that information has been asked of Dan (70wcars)
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Past Administrator

I hear ya talk'in. I want something a little more Old Skool for the 455 I am putting in my '48. Even though the 455 isn't an older motor. About the only really off-beat thing I have found is a couple of dual qaud set ups on Ebay. Never found a triple duce set up for it yet.
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Speaking of Ebay, every once in a while a Moon manifold for multiple Weber carbs does pop up....they are very expensive because of rarity and the carbs will be too I imagine. I dont know what you would do for linkage but would be an awesome looking setup on a street rod. I believe Moon produced these for the 350 as well as the 455.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Past Administrator

Now THAT would be cool.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM

thank you all for your comments. I've heard of those moon manifolds before and i know that they are extremely rare. I'll check out ebay. thanks a lot...