'73 Toro 455 in GMC Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2002, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up

Went full-time on the road in a "slightly different" kind of classic than the ones you guys are used to -- but we're similarly powered.

From 1973 - 1978 GMC took 13,000 Toro drivetrains (some Eldos, but that's off-topic) and wrapped 26' of fiberglas around 'em and sent folks out to discover America.

10,000+ are still on the road.

I'm ready to start building another engine for this puppy -- the uphills are problematic when 18-wheelers whiz by 25mph faster and might put six-off on the shoulder.

Amazing vehicle, not much remains that's 28 years old - previous owner said he did a Jasper Hi-Perf rebuild but all I've got to prove it is an HEI ignition and a chrome air cleaner cover. It burns oil, especially on start-up.

I thought I might like to get a 70-71 low (er) compression Toro engine and start from there -- possibly build it with the idea of incorporating an in-line supercharger -- remember, I'm not going 1/4 mile at a time.

Surprisingly, gas mileage is not as bad as all that -- pulling a 3700 lb car on a 1400 lb hauler - along with my puppy and entirelife inside . . . I still get 5mpg. But the oil burning and power issues have begun to aggravate me.

Long-term project, and I need help (Chris Witt, I'll pay for your consulting and assistance).

Growing up, my best friend had a '67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible in which I spent at least 50,000 miles -- it's gratifying to me that 35 years later when I'm driving down the interstate at 75 mph (level ground) and pulling 20,000 lbs plus to remember my roots.

Time to give this big hot dog a kick in the ***.

Who wants to help.

Best,

Van Dashner
vandashner@vavn.com

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Van Dashner ]

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Van Dashner ]</p>
Old January 2nd, 2003, 09:23 PM

Quite an unusual critter you have there.
In response to you wanting to go to a lower compression engine I think you will have to go to a 74 and up engine. I believe that it was in 74 or 75 that GM started tuning down there engines. Although my personal preference would be to rebuild that thing to 70 or prior specs. This will give you higher compression and of course more power. just a thought .
hope this helps, at least a little good luck!
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Hi

Originally Posted by Van Dashner
Went full-time on the road in a "slightly different" kind of classic than the ones you guys are used to -- but we're similarly powered.

From 1973 - 1978 GMC took 13,000 Toro drivetrains (some Eldos, but that's off-topic) and wrapped 26' of fiberglas around 'em and sent folks out to discover America.

10,000+ are still on the road.

I'm ready to start building another engine for this puppy -- the uphills are problematic when 18-wheelers whiz by 25mph faster and might put six-off on the shoulder.

Amazing vehicle, not much remains that's 28 years old - previous owner said he did a Jasper Hi-Perf rebuild but all I've got to prove it is an HEI ignition and a chrome air cleaner cover. It burns oil, especially on start-up.

I thought I might like to get a 70-71 low (er) compression Toro engine and start from there -- possibly build it with the idea of incorporating an in-line supercharger -- remember, I'm not going 1/4 mile at a time.

Surprisingly, gas mileage is not as bad as all that -- pulling a 3700 lb car on a 1400 lb hauler - along with my puppy and entirelife inside . . . I still get 5mpg. But the oil burning and power issues have begun to aggravate me.

Long-term project, and I need help (Chris Witt, I'll pay for your consulting and assistance).

Growing up, my best friend had a '67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible in which I spent at least 50,000 miles -- it's gratifying to me that 35 years later when I'm driving down the interstate at 75 miles per hour (level ground) and pulling 20,000 lbs plus to remember my roots.

Time to give this big hot dog a kick in the ***.

Who wants to help.

Best,

Van Dashner
vandashner@vavn.com

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Van Dashner ]

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Van Dashner ]</p>
hello, cool stuff! That thread you started before was great!