changing manifolds.

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM

changing manifolds.

Hi all I have a tech question: will a non EGR edelbrock manifold bolt up and perform well on a '74 or '75 455? thanks
rocket9r8
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Yes, it will bolt-up and you will lose aout 75 Lbs of "iron." Probably no real improvement in preformance if that is all u change. My first "preformce" change would be true dual exhaust,. What model car are we talking about and what are u wanting to do with the car? Ken
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:45 AM

hi ken, i'm finishing my tour in Iraq and will be home soon, the car is a 68 olds, nitey-eight it has (as best as i can tell) a '74 455,what i'd to accomplish is more zip off the line, but no lose the high end. i've been reading your posts and you have extensive experience in this area. i was also planing a carb change and a cam but i'm unsure as to what duration to purchase. thank you for the info also i see you have delta 88 rag top, is it for sale?
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hello, One of the most fun 455's I had was a Lo-comp 1974 engine. Just a basic refreshened, machine honed, about 0.004 cylinder wall clearance(bores won't clean-up all the way at the top). Iron rings on the stock cast pistons. One angle small valved G-heads that were laying around, Comp Cam 268H .456/.456. I love that cam, it has been in 3 different engines and is in that Delta conv. right now, I plan on leaving it there. Edelbrock performer intake. Car was a G-body, Engine pulled good to 5200 RPM's, nice torque cam. Believe me, build for Torque for a 68 Olds 98, find a 3:08 rear-end, thats about as good as you will find, put dual exhaust. No, the Delta is not for sale, just got in on the road the end of last summer after "playing" with it for 3 years. Good Luck and stay safe. When you get back spoil yourself and do what ever you have been wanting to. Later, Ken
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM

hi ken thank u so much for the info, i have a rear end out of a 4 dr l/s like the one u have pictured, is the ratio stamped somewhere on it or a plate tacked to it?, the exhaust is sort of make shift dualed the left side rear exit is capped off the center is routed to the right side then back to the left side when i get home i'll post a picture of it, prior to that it was looped under the pitman arm, everytime there was a crown in the road wamo-sparkes everywhere, the tought of tinkering with my olds keeps me going while i was here in the sand box, i do plan on spoiling myself a bit, i have two sons still at home one 12 and the other six, both love to be in the garage with me on saturdays, i'm going to follow your advise and get the carb, manifold, and cam, it souds like when it's done it will have the zip i'm looking for.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-70-Starfire...170083544411re

Take the rear cover off, look for stamped #'s on the ring gear, something like XX/XX. Divide smaller(pinion gear) into larger number(ring gear) probably 2:73 or 2:93 or if u r lucky 3:08. Here s the "new" reproduced driver's-side exhaust manifold you need to put true dual exhaust, one the dr's side/ one on the pass'-side. You will need the modify the transmission rod, instead of straight u put a half circle in it. Here is the link, Hmmm posted first, go figure. Later, Ken
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Hi and welcome!! Kennybil is right on with his recs. Only thing I have to add is that Supercars Unlimited in Portland Oregon has cams and the factory PN: 400165 was an auto W-30 cam and is a great street cam in big blocks with power accsys. Thanks and take care.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:49 AM

hi ken, were you saying u have a manifold, and the shift rod? or that you know where to get them?. i'm down to the wire now, coming home real soon. if you have the manifold and rod i'd like to purchase them. let me know,
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM

hi all i'm back in the goood ol USA, and i'm going to strt on my 68 rag top, any word om the exhaust manifold and linkage rod?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Past Administrator

Glad you are back! Take some time to get back into the daily routine of American citizenship, eat at the local diner, catch a movie, go to the races on Saturday, and enyoy the good 'ol USA! Thanks for your service, we are proud of you.