The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

64 Tilt Column Turn Signal Issues.

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Hello,
I am new to ClassicOldsmobile.com. I have a 1964 Starfire fully restored that went senior at the Seattle Nationals. Really want to keep it as original as possible. Unfortunately, the Bowden cable that actuates the turning signal switch (includes cornering lamps) is broken. I have been unsuccessful in locating a replacement cable. The wire is .030 running through a .122 sheath. I am told that the wire is about the same thickness as aircraft safety wire -- don't know where to get that. Also, I need to find a sheath. The clamps on either end can be reused. I would appreciate any and all assistance.
Thanks.
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM

Year one has the cable assy, I used .040 stainless safty wire but the distence from end to end is critical (no adjustments) and a little stiff even with cable lube
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and hope you get the signal fixed.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Post some pictures of the car please
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks to Oldstrio for the suggestions. I had looked at Year One earlier and missed the cable. Your prompt helped me find it. I did make a cable from a .047 choke cable wire inside a length of electrical insulation. It works but not as well as I would like primarily, as you correctly note, the length between coil centerlines is critical. I think I will order a couple of the cables from Year One which should take care of my problem.

I am going to try to attach a few pics of my Starfire. Hope it works.

Starfire Fan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
64 Starfire.jpg (30.3 KB, 34 views)
BOP Picnic Trophy.jpg (37.7 KB, 20 views)
BOP Picnic #2.jpg (39.3 KB, 20 views)
BOP Picnic #3.jpg (37.4 KB, 16 views)
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

cool pics of a cool car
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for sharing photos of your car, very nice. I like the light blue top and the wheels, or are those wheel covers?
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Those are the infamous N93 Custom Sport Wheel Discs. Cast aluminum and bolted onto the wheel itself. You find a lot of them with chunks broke out of the edge where some tire jockey didn't realise they were bolted to the wheel and tried to pry them off like a regular wheel cover.

Starfire/J-I version centercaps had a two bar spinner. 88 and Ninety Eight version was called N94 Custom Deluxe Wheel Disc and had a dished center that reminds me of an ashtray, though I actually like it better than the spinner version.

They used a special wheel which is now very difficult to find, though the bolt-on caps themselves are very common. I have about a dozen of them, but no wheels. Might as well sell them since I doubt I ever use them.

StarfireFan's convertible is identical to the one pictured in the dealer brochure- white with blue top, interior and boot.

I sure do need to start messing with my 64 coupe again.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Rocketraider, thanks for the detailed information on the wheel discs! I knew some of what you recited, but not all. I too have a number of the discs without the steel wheels.

In further tracing of a turn signal cable, I located The Parts Place, Inc. in Illinois who provides cables to Year One. The Parts Place price is $20 lower than Year One - seems logical. I'm having one drop shipped from the manufacturer, so I might be able to get right to the source.

Does anyone know of a successful conversion from the rotohydramatic to a TH350 or TH400 for the 64?

Am also interested to learn of successful suspension upgrades.

StarfireFan
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM

'64 Starfire owner

Hi, enjoyed your pictures. Very nice looking car. I noted the info on turn signal cables for future reference. Mine are sticky - probably need lubrication and adjustment. Mostly, I leave them centered.

Have also seen those wheel covers for sale on eBay, but was not interested due to the addition of unsprung weight they represent. I looked at a car just like yours that had them - perhaps this is the same car. It was for sale in TN about a year ago. Loaded to the hilt with options. I passed, but it was a nice car.

I have read several threads on replacing the 'Slim Jim' with a TH350/400. The major hurdle seems to be the width of the transmission case vs the floor pan tunnel, and secondarily, a bell housing adaptor. It would be a great conversion, if you had the strong desire and perseverence to work on all the bugs. Sounds like you would have to gut the interior and carpet, modify the tunnel, transmission supports, drive shaft, etc. Originality would go out the window, but drivability would be much improved.

If you are inclined, the adjustment procedure for the rods and linkage on the Slim Jim are not that difficult, and you can change the shift points and response thereby. You will never completely get rid of the huge 1-2 shift dump-off (rpm drop) as that is a function of the transmission gear ratios, but you can smooth it out somewhat.

(acknowledgement: some consider this trans a 4 spd, counting the accel-a-rotor as a gear, others consider it a 3 spd, as you actually feel 2 gear changes. The first one feels fairly abrupt, the second one much smoother.)

Keep us posted on further developments with your Starfire.
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Tile column turn signal cable.

I just received a new cable from The Parts Place, Inc. It appears to be nearly two inches longer than the cable that came out of my car. I haven't tried to install it yet to see if I can make it work. Possibilities include adjusting the switch mounting location to it's extreme position. If that doesn't work, perhaps remounting the switch yet further down the steering column. Since the adjustment is critical to getting the cancellation to work properly and to getting the brake lights to work correctly, it appears that more trial and error are in my future.

The switch looks very well made. It has a wire coil sheath and a slightly larger wire core.

StarfireFan