'70 Vista Cruiser Project

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by cts-v
Stupid question.... Does the vinyl paint feel like vinyl when its dry, or is it a bit harder?
...has a little"grab" to it, but not like true vinyl!....

....Can you only use it on pieces that don't deflect much (does it flake of if you use it on soft vinyl)?
...you can use it on both, prepped properly, you can do seats with excellent results...I have a few restoration accounts that swear by this product and they do concours corvette work here on Long Island...yes I have seen it with my own eyes and it looks as close to factory as possible without replacing...

...FYI, Great job on the body work. Thanks for posting so many pics along the way. Tom
...thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it! I will keep them coming!

Last edited by ent72olds; March 24th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Registered

Sure is brown. Getting closer every day, pretty soon you're going to pass me Erik. I prefer blue myself, if my interior was brown I would prefer brown.
I like any color as long as it isn't green. I won't own or even ride in a green vehicle if I can help it, I'm not superstitious. My door panels tops have some dark sun spotting and I need to do something. The things are near perfect otherwise and I just want to do above the trim strip. I wish I would have known about the DuPont stuff before I got the PPG.
Why didn't you do your bro's Vista before mine so I would have known Erik?
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Dang, Erik!!
You really got a big project here! First time here. Since I had my mind on a VC, I started poking through VC posts and looked through this one some last night... (read the rest this morning.) It is sure giving me cold feet, that's for sure. I thought Lady was a pain, but here there is LOTS more to deal with. 3X the interior, 3X the roof, 2X the body, 4X the trim... Of course there is almost 2X the motor and 4X the space, too! I emailed the guy to see if I can look at it this weekend. If I like it I may go for it. I need to find some CHEAP storage somewhere for my 86 Olds, as I would need the garage space (if a VC would even FIT inthe garage...)

I sure like how your interior is looking. I noticed my name tossed around in here but I know nothing about interiors... Really, I need to get with it.I need to call your friend about the Dupont paint. The place here can't get it - only PPG and SEM. I am almost ready to start my doors, so I will need paint soon. "So easy to use, a baby can spray it"? I will have to test that statement when i try it! What color are you using? It looks like mine.

I need to read this post from start to finish - maybe that will help my buying decision...

Excellent work from what I have seen - that paint and sanding is making some huge differences! I envy your skills and big place to work... I will probably be better off paying more for a VC with a restored exterior. It would be very costly for a shop to do it, but that could be done... Gotta think...
Keep it up!

You should be able to order extra carpet to match the one you order. I think OPG offers it by the yard and they sell the ACC carpet.
Certainly you will use dynamat under the carpet and headliner, right?! You would probably need 200lbs of it...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 25th, 2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM

If I may chime in here.

I bought mine from California and it was a no rust, 3 seat car. But it had a bang in door and was missing some chrome. I bought it because it had [non factory] buckets, tic toc, consol, tilt wheel, SSII and 455.

I'm not sure of any year but 69 but they had a few thousand pieces of chrome and one missing will ruin the looks. I was fortunate to finally find an extra set of glass and an extra set of chrome. So I bought it and have it store in my garage "just in case."

As I am sure Bluevista can attest to, all of the sun damage to the padding is very much like have 15 dash boards redone. There's a ton of it in the rear.

Point being when you're looking be aware that some pieces are next to impossible to find.

Good Luck Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vistacr #1.jpg (102.3 KB, 80 views)
Picture 187.jpg (72.9 KB, 71 views)
Picture 075.jpg (136.1 KB, 61 views)
Picture 215.jpg (67.6 KB, 65 views)
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Registered Luser

Hood Work Underway!!!

Got working on the hood! Loaded with dings and dents! Did some stud welding picking and filing, took 2 nights to get most of it out! This weekend I will strip the outside(chemical so as not to warp it), and give it a light coat of plastic. After that I will spray poly it! As far as the underside, we found a stress crack near the hole where the latch locks in and that made the hood flimsy in that spot. I drilled a 1/8" hole on each end of the crack, then with a dremmel, v'd the crack out. I then welded it. Good as new! Some minor dings and pits were taken care of with polyester, before primer and surfacer! Here are the latest pics!
Attached Images
underhd1.jpg (48.5 KB, 50 views)
underhd2.JPG (89.6 KB, 52 views)
underhd3.JPG (68.4 KB, 52 views)
underhd4.jpg (38.7 KB, 55 views)
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Registered Luser

Hood Outside...

Attached Images
hood1.jpg (34.2 KB, 50 views)
hood2.jpg (40.8 KB, 56 views)
hood3.JPG (86.7 KB, 52 views)
hood4.JPG (88.7 KB, 64 views)
hood.JPG (87.4 KB, 69 views)
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Registered Luser

Hood Hammered!

It was a slow week! We did not put in any time at all this week. Last weekend, we picked up our qtr sections, kindly sent to us by jensenracing77(Thanks Eric!), and started to look deeper into the rear of the car, the cargo stowage floor under the hidden door area, and what we thought was minor, was pretty major. Swiss cheese! OPGI sells a repro, out of stock, 6 weeks!..........looks like the Nats may be missing this Vista Cruiser! Reality is starting to set in.
But, we will soldier on!........extensive bodywork on the hood just about done! My back is broken after working last night and today bending over that hood! If the wife allows, I will try to get some time on it tomorrow! The last pic is Spies Hecker Sprayable Polyester 3508...I will block that with 180 dry before applying surfacer!
Attached Images
hood5.jpg (46.3 KB, 62 views)
hood6.jpg (40.2 KB, 58 views)
hood7.jpg (47.6 KB, 68 views)
hood8.jpg (42.5 KB, 84 views)
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Registered Luser

Hood in Primer!

After about 5 hours of careful block sanding the polyester, I was able to get the hood in surfacer and I'm very pleased with the results! From what this hood was, to what it is now...straight as an arrow! I was expecting to see a little something, but no. After blocking of the surfacer it will be very exciting to see paint on it! Here are three pics...spray poly blocked, etch, surfacer! One night this week we'll wet sand the inside of the hood, and on Sat. we'll paint it Spies Hecker 1004 Rallye Matte Black.
Attached Images
hood9.jpg (37.6 KB, 51 views)
hood10.jpg (41.0 KB, 53 views)
hood11.jpg (45.4 KB, 82 views)
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Registered Luser

Inside of Hood Painted!

OK, today we finally got the hood finished until we are ready for final paint! We are very pleased with the final result on the inside of the hood. We wet sanded it and dried and prepped it. Masked it and put two coats of Spies Hecker 1004 Rallye Matte Black. S/S urethane that dries to the perfect matte black finish that was original when car was new. It matches almost 100% to OEM. Now we will put the hood away for safe keeping and the next order of business will be sectioning in the wheel wells with the good used pieces jensenracing77 sent me! This is where it gets real fun! Stay tuned.......
Attached Images
underhd5.jpg (45.5 KB, 48 views)
underhd6.jpg (39.9 KB, 51 views)
underhd7.jpg (50.5 KB, 76 views)
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Interesting stuff, nice work to boot.
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
BobsW32

Rob are you looking for a wagon????? If so I have a flat top 22,000 miles that wouldn't need work
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Nice work.
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Good stuff! What is your background? Are you formally trained in the art of restoration warfare?
I am not and have never heard of Spies Hecker so it's probably just my lack of knowledge. Where do you get that stuff and what else do they sell?
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM

That was the stuff we used at the body shop I worked at, was supposed to be the shiz back in the day. Easy to work with too. minor mistakes were easily fixed. If you have a body shop supply store, or equivalent that would be the first place to look. auto body tool mart might have it also www.autobodytoolmart.com 1-800-382-1200 I like these guys. I can usually get stuff shipped right to my door for the same price or less than the local body shop supply. On my schedule. That's always a bonus.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by scrappie
Good stuff! What is your background? Are you formally trained in the art of restoration warfare?
I am not and have never heard of Spies Hecker so it's probably just my lack of knowledge. Where do you get that stuff and what else do they sell?
Thanks! I am in the industry, have done several restorations, but only do it for hobby now. I'm in the collision industry now. Spies Hecker is a full line automotive refinish brand from Germany. Factory on ME/BE , BMW, Audi, Porsche and other German make cars along with Standox and Glasurit. I do work as a factory rep for a paint brand now Spies Hecker can be found in autobody supply stores but it depends on what the store carries...can be regional!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:09 AM

I noticed you use what looks like a self etching primer(red) on some of the metal patching. Is that the same as using a weld thru primer and are there any pros and cons to using either?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Registered Luser

Yes, Spies Hecker 3255. It is an etch primer and also an excellent weld through primer. We've tested it, and with the proper film build, it can be applied to bare steel and left in the elements longer than 6 mos without any reprocussions. The negative to this product would be it can't be topcoated meaning you can't paint over it....you would have to apply a sealer or surfacer first. The positive is adhesion to bare steel which is very important and also corrosion protection.

Last edited by ent72olds; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Registered Luser

Finally, Back to Work!

We finally got working on the car again today after pretty much doing nothing for 2 weeks! And today wasn't too productive as I woke up this morning with a wicked migraine (I missed my meds yesterday, and look what happens!) We began work on the rotten right qtr panel. My brother worked on cleaning and wire wheeling the donor section while I worked on cutting out the rust. By the time I was done, I started puking up a storm and I could not function anymore....then, on the way home...my '72 decided she wanted to go to sleep on the side of the parkway!...although they call them parkways, they are meant for driving!!! Luckily, my bro was behind me. He ran back to the shop and grabbed the battery out of the vista as we could not jump this one for anything! Started up with the vista battery. Weird thing was, I went to gun it to merge on and the car just shut off like somebody pulled the plug??? Another problem I need to figure out and I am trying to sell this car!! Maybe she's trying to tell me something! Anyway, here is what little I did get done today!!!
Attached Images
rtwheelrot.JPG (93.5 KB, 77 views)
rtwheelrot1.JPG (95.1 KB, 83 views)
rtwheelrot5.jpg (44.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by ent72olds; April 25th, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Registered Luser

No more rot!!!

Now I have to try and patch this all up!!!!!
Attached Images
rtwheelrot2.JPG (89.0 KB, 87 views)
rtwheelrot4.JPG (96.8 KB, 83 views)
rtwheelrot3.JPG (88.8 KB, 92 views)
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Man you do like a challange don't you. Great work to date, keep at it someday it will all be just a memory.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Registered Luser

Making Progress on Quarter!

Started trimming up the donor wheel well and wheel house tonight! Not for the faint of heart! Had to drill out about a hundred spot welds, but with some patience, got what I was looking to achieve! Next I will trim this patch panel to fit exact, and also be cutting out a radius of the donor outer wheel house that will be cleaned up and trimmed to fit exact and welded in. Here's what I have so far...
Attached Images
rtqtr.JPG (93.5 KB, 74 views)
rtqtr1.JPG (89.7 KB, 60 views)
rtqtr2.JPG (96.4 KB, 60 views)
rtinnerqtr.JPG (90.4 KB, 68 views)
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Registered Luser

More pics!

Nothing like factory sheetmetal!
Attached Images
rtqtrdonor.JPG (89.4 KB, 90 views)
rtouterwhlhsdonor.JPG (93.8 KB, 80 views)
rtqtrpatch.jpg (50.1 KB, 85 views)
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Registered Luser

No chineseum here!

A little more trimming and it will fit like a glove!
Attached Images
rtqtr3.jpg (32.3 KB, 64 views)
rtqtr5.jpg (30.9 KB, 66 views)
rtqtr6.jpg (51.9 KB, 72 views)
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:38 AM

glad to see that some of my vista will live on. the back doors will live on in Pennsylvania.
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Real interesting and informative, thanks for posting.
Is the new seam lapped or a butt joint?
Did you also piece the inner wheel house the same way?
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by scrappie
Real interesting and informative, thanks for posting.
Is the new seam lapped or a butt joint?
Did you also piece the inner wheel house the same way?
Nothing is welded yet...it will be butt welded because the inside is visible and I want the finished product to look "as factory". There is a small area near the dogleg that can't be seen on the inside and that will also be butt welded but I will probably also put a backing flange just to make it easier. The inner wheelhouse will be done the same way. I will post pics as I get there!
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by citcapp
Man you do like a challange don't you. Great work to date, keep at it someday it will all be just a memory.
Thanks, at this rate, I will be so old I won't have anymore memory...
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Registered Luser

Fitting & Trimming, Fitting & Trimming!

Cut out the outer wheel house section last night and got it fitted and trimmed. It took a lot of test fitting not only the wheel house, but the qtr/wheel opening patch also just to make sure all lines and gaps lined up properly to the rear door. I spent a couple of hours doing this before I was happy and did my final trimming. My bro also media blasted both pieces in and out so we have fresh metal to work with. I hope to weld in the wheel house on Sunday.
Attached Images
rtwhlhsdnr1.JPG (91.3 KB, 69 views)
rtwhlhspatch.JPG (89.9 KB, 67 views)
rtwhlhspatch1.JPG (96.8 KB, 63 views)
rtwhlhspatch2.jpg (49.7 KB, 65 views)
rtinnerpatch.JPG (97.5 KB, 63 views)
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Registered Luser

I trimmed the donor piece bigger so I have room for error! I would fit it, put a couple of spot welds, fit the outer panel, check lines and gaps, then trace with a sharpie, the outline of the existing wheel house on the inside of the donor. I also traced the donor onto the existing just to show the amount I had to trim (for pics!). Then I would remove the donor panel and trim it. Then repeat the process until I was satisfied.
Attached Images
DSCN0349.jpg (44.1 KB, 52 views)
DSCN0348.jpg (54.1 KB, 53 views)
DSCN0350.jpg (47.0 KB, 48 views)
rtfittinginner.JPG (91.7 KB, 45 views)
innerfitting.JPG (94.6 KB, 52 views)
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Registered Luser

By the end of the night we were happy with our progress. This weekend we will weld this in, then work on the patches on the inside of the spare tire well. After that, I will finish the outer panel.
Attached Images
DSCN0351.jpg (45.9 KB, 49 views)
DSCN0352.JPG (89.4 KB, 51 views)
DSCN0353.jpg (42.4 KB, 52 views)
doglegfitting.JPG (85.3 KB, 50 views)
rtpatchfitting.jpg (44.2 KB, 62 views)
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Past Administrator

Moving this thread to "major builds & projects".
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

you body guys amaze me! give me something mechanical and i will figure it out in time but body work is an art that i don't have.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM

Nice build. I found two VC's in an old country junk yard a couple of years ago. Too bad I did not discover one of them before it was picked over. I was nice, PW, the works. Old guy said he drove it in to it's final resting spot. Sad. I did pull some parts that were too nice to leave even though I do not own a VC. I pulled all the stainless trim, close to 100% if I remember and the tail lights lenses and buckets. If anyone needs these parts send me a PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
you body guys amaze me! give me something mechanical and i will figure it out in time but body work is an art that i don't have.

I know the feeling
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Registered Luser

Finally Welded in Wheel House!

I had to take the wheel house off one last time today to weld up all the holes created by cutting out the spot welds to separate the outer wheel house from the qtr on the donor! Before I did, I drew a couple of triangles here and there so I would have exact reference points for the last time! I didn't do it earlier because I like to do all my welding at the same time.......don't ask me why! I guess when I get in one gear, I like to stay in it!
Anyway, after doing that, I did get the outer welded on. Worked out excellent! Ground it down, and am now ready to move on to a couple of patches inside the spare tire well.
Attached Images
DSCN0354.jpg (40.1 KB, 52 views)
DSCN0355.JPG (89.8 KB, 47 views)
DSCN0356.JPG (94.1 KB, 50 views)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM

Excelent work on the VC! Makes me jealous. Wish I had half the patience to do what you're doing. At the same time it's threads like this that keep me motivated.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Registered Luser

I butt welded the two together from the outside. It was just easier. I provided a couple of pics of what the inside looked like after the welding. My brother will clean these up during the week. I'll do a quick skim of polyester to clean it up, once primed and painted(possibly re-undercoated) you'll be able to reach in with your hand and slide your fingers inside the wheel opening and you'll never know there was a repair!
Attached Images
DSCN0357.JPG (88.1 KB, 55 views)
DSCN0358.JPG (97.3 KB, 53 views)
DSCN0359.jpg (46.8 KB, 56 views)
DSCN0360.JPG (85.9 KB, 62 views)
DSCN0361.jpg (45.4 KB, 73 views)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass
Excelent work on the VC! Makes me jealous. Wish I had half the patience to do what you're doing. At the same time it's threads like this that keep me motivated.
Thanks for the compliments! Anything I can do to help!
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Great workmanship Erik, can't wait to see you lay some paint on this bad boy
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
you'll be able to reach in with your hand and slide your fingers inside the wheel opening and you'll never know there was a repair!
We all know, got pics to prove it and will show them to everybody that feels inside there.
Happens every day to me, can't get in the car and go anywhere without checking. I sure don't want to run over some guy feeling inside my wheel openings.

Looking good Erik, you are a true craftsman-dude-guy and my hero.
Do you ever hear, "But it's just a wagon?" from people.

Quick Reply: '70 Vista Cruiser Project