carpet detaling

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM

carpet detaling

hey all, hope everyone is ready for the spring and summer.

I need some tips on getting fine sand out that's deep in the carpet.

I've vacuumed over and over, made my own special nozzles w/ added air flow, used regular nozzles and grabbed the carpet, pulled it up (in place) and shook it and still no good. the more I vacuum the more it keeps coming to the surface. I'm using a good Shop-Vac so I have plenty of power, but it's like there's a never ending supply of sand deep in the carpet.

Black carpet, original...looks great, real "full" and "fluffy" and looks better now after about an hour of work yesterday.

any thoughts, tips, hints would be greatly appreciated.

be safe and enjoy the new cruising season.

mike
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Hang it it up and smack it from the rear and vacuum some more. Maybe a foaming agent may help also. Some detail places have whats called an extractor, it is a hot water, deep upholstery cleaning machine.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Oldsdruid

Short of complete replacement, you'll probably have to remove it and take it to a wand type car wash and wash the sand out. Use one of the lower pressure settings so as not to rough up the carpet nap. Most automotive carpet is nylon pile so it can stand up to a low pressure wash. You might want to take your own mild soap to spray onto it and just use the hot rinse water at the wash to dislodge the grit and rinse it out.

I used to pull the carpet floor mats out of the Custom Cruiser every spring and wash them. You would not believe the sand and grit that will wash out of them. Added advantage is that the carpet will smell fresh when put back.

'Course time you've gone to all that trouble, a replacement carpet might make as much sense.