Bucket seat question

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Bucket seat question

I just purchased a 65 Cutlass coupe that has been restored but needs some detailing. We had a car like this stolen back in 1968 and my 70 442 burned last March in a fire that destroyed a whole lot of my stuff ($250K). So, this fall I plan on getting into the Cutlass to take it as close to showroom as I can. The attached picture is of the bucket seat. The upholstery is generally great except whoever redid the seats made them to fat and they don't have the stock bucket profile. Currently they are at the upholstery shop. The fellow says the seat covers are made by PUI. We have some options. One is to trim the pad and resew the seat so it will be pretty much straight across like the originals. Two would be do get new covers however that scares me because will it match the rear seat which is like new and all the interior color matches anyway. Or maybe if there is a better shaped foam cushion that would take care of the problem. I just want them to look stock and not be fat in the center as they are way to high and ugly. I weigh 150 lbs and don't have a big butt! One of my questions is do the aftermarket seat covers just this way???? PS: We never got our 65 back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0324131929.jpg (57.9 KB, 22 views)
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM

You can buy brand new preformed seat foam for that car they are available from most restoration places , I rebuilt my seats last winter using the original seat covers they are nice and comfortable now and smell better now without the mice nests. I would bet there isn't new foam in your seats and someone tried to beef up the old foam a little and went overboard. The new seat foam is flat in the seat area you should be able to restretch the seat cover to fit properly with new foam.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM

jag 1886,

The fellow that is working on the seats has taken them apart and sent me pictures of what he has found. The cushion material is new and he thinks they were done in 2006 or 7. He trimmed off the center section as much as he could without making it too thin and the fatness is leveled out to a stock look.I sent him pictures from a link from bro442 so he knows what GM did with the seats in 65. So I guess if he can duplicate the original look then I guess I should let him do it.