Dashboard Removal ?

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Dashboard Removal ?

hey guys, i need to remove my dashboard, but i can only find like one bolt that would help take it off. I need to replace my speedo, and ill probably replace my delete with a tach. So do any of you guys know how to easily pull it off so i can access what i need ? or can you possibly send me some scans of the body manual so i can look it over ? thanks a lot
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
hey guys, i need to remove my dashboard, but i can only find like one bolt that would help take it off. I need to replace my speedo, and ill probably replace my delete with a tach. So do any of you guys know how to easily pull it off so i can access what i need ? or can you possibly send me some scans of the body manual so i can look it over ? thanks a lot
I can only help with a 70 delta, but basically underneath the dash you will have to take out the a/c and or heater plenum, probably radio, and tape deck if it has one. After that and you have room, you should be able to figure out what is next. I have had to do that with my Delta as far as replacing the heater core. Also understand you'll more than likely have to pull the glove box to get to the radio, and the other big thing. Air conditioning hoses. Yours more than likley are 38 years old, you probably will have to replace some due to thier age, and your "activity" under the dash could damage them. That is what I did when I had to replace the heater core, also the heater plenum boot was well, old, I cut a new one from an inner tube, well all is well, now. The new hose/ducts had an improved affect on the "old car" smell. I had replacements from these folks
Buy vintage classic antique old car parts of quality online at Classic Motor W
I guess to say in short, isn't as easy as you might think, and good luck! I hope someone with better information can follow up.
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Tear it out with a pitch fork and put em on the firewall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cdash2.jpg (44.9 KB, 80 views)
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:33 AM

lol i would, but i want to put the dash back in... ok thanks that will get me started, after that i can pull the dash out and replace my guages then i hope ? or is there a way to just pull the dash pad off ? will that allow me to take the guages out ? thanks again
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
lol i would, but i want to put the dash back in... ok thanks that will get me started, after that i can pull the dash out and replace my guages then i hope ? or is there a way to just pull the dash pad off ? will that allow me to take the guages out ? thanks again
I'd suggest if you're going to keep the car, and want to keep it going, buy a chassis service manual. I bought a reproduction off eeeeeeeebay for $70. Only problem I have with it is the electrical schematic is in black and white, and I cannot read it (easily). I have a 70 delta, it has instructions on how to remove the instrument cluster. As I have stated earlier, not as easy, and expect some other things under the dash. Mine shows a B body unhook from backside, electrical, and speedometer cable, and it has six screws that come out the front, also the clock is seperate.
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM

1969 Dash Removal

I agree with the other guys about the value of a Chassis Service Manual. It's helped me more times than I can count. But in the short run I pulled a dash out of a 1969 Cutlass last weekend. I can take some photos of the mounting points on the back and post them for you, probably this weekend. John
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM

that would be great thankyou so much. as soon as i have the dough to spend on one of those reprinted manuals, ill get one, but right now money is a little tight. your a lifesaver.
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM

1969 Dash Mounting Points

Hello Jeremy
I now have photos posted on my photobucket site of the metal dash and the mounting points. Also the backside of a dash with the mounting studs. Photo ending in number 610 is the support for the radio, it has a screw there. Then notice photos 604 isn't a nut but a clip that the threaded stud pops into. I've seen a few of these in different locations on these cars so if it doesn't feel like a nut try to get a flashlight and mirror to look at it. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what size socket this needed! If you have any questions or something doesn't look clear email me with the number of the photo. John

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I need to replace my speedo, and ill probably replace my delete with a tach.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I am a bit surprised that you need to remove the dash to do the above mentioned maintainance. I am not all that fimiliar with the '69's but on my '72 I can do that without removing the dash by taking a trim piece off the bottom of the dash, disconnecting a few AC/heater ducts and removing the cover glass from the instrument panel, from the front.

The 4 door would possibly present a bit more work than my rag-top bucket seat '72 because I removed the front bucket seats to get under the dash but I'm sure that the seat removal is possible and again probably easier than removing the whole dash?

Am I in left field on this or did the rest of you have a "Senior Moment"?
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM

68-69 gauges

The gauges can be changed without removing the dash in a 1968-69 but it's really hard. Way different than the 70-72. The 68-69 gauge pods are held in place with small screws on the sides of the pods. So you have to go in from the back with a 1/4" open end wrench and get your hand along side of the gauge pod. I've done it both ways and neither is easy. John
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM

yea so far its been a pain, so im just taking out what i can. im having a really hard time disconnecting the wires and what not from the back of the speedo, hence why i was wanting to pull the whole dash out. but its a work in progress. lol i would gladly let any one of you do it for me.