Front bench seat back rest springs

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM
1968 442 restoration

Front bench seat back rest springs

Hey guys. So I am finally getting around to installing my new seat covers. Ok, to be honest a friend of mine who does upholstery is installing my seat covers. So far they look very nice but we have encountered a bit of a hitch. the drivers side seat back has four broken springs and one broken tensioner spring. I am wondering if anybody has some or knows where I could get some. It would help me out alot...

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front seat bottom.jpg (64.3 KB, 77 views)
Broken seat spring.jpg (86.3 KB, 77 views)
broken tensioner spring.jpg (67.9 KB, 70 views)
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM

I've got a couple 4 door bench seats, I think that would be the same. Check with your buddy and if they are I'd be willing to pull some springs out of one.
John
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:29 PM
1968 442 restoration

I would imagine that the seat springs would be the same for both cars. He said the back springs are 15" long. Is one of yours already coming apart so you can see the springs? The tensioner spring I am not sure about but he says there is a half an inch broken off of the bottom end.

By the way John, I love your signature picture. It makes me feel so much better about how my car looks right now!

Thanks again. As always you are a big help!

Chris
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM
1968 442 restoration

Here are a couple of pictures of how the car sits right now...
Attached Images
car with engine.jpg (69.9 KB, 51 views)
new dash.jpg (53.0 KB, 49 views)
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Ben

That should be a real simple fix.... i can't even believe your guy is even considering replacing the whole assembly.
Those springs & seat frame look mint- shiny metal. Thats rare, at least up here. usually the springs & frame are totally rusty since gm didn't paint or coat them with anything.

Don't replace it- Fix what you've got.

remove the lower edge wire clamp from the broken section of zig-zag spring & Cut out the broken zig zag loop where it goes around the bottom, cut a 5"-6" section of new zig-zag wire, bend it, and clamp it back to the lower surround wire, then clamp the new zig-zags to the old ones. Clamps are either three prong clips or baker clips.

THe tensioner/edgewire peice... Just go buy some 9ga music wire from a HW store, bend it to fit- longer of course, then clamp in place with the 3 prong or baker clips.

any upholstery shop would have this stuff... and likely for just a couple bucks would sell it you.

You should see some of the seat spring assemblies i've had to rebuild for customers... They have looked like they came off the Titanic!

Last edited by RAMBOW; January 26th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Ben

this should make yours look a lot better.... I "SHOULD" have replaced this spring assembly, but at that moment in time, nowhere I called had any of the replacement springs in stock, and he wanted his seats back.... So i fixed em.... major PITA, But i got em.

In these bucket seat back peices, the lower edgewires were whittled down to needles from rust. (i think this had been in a flood or something in its past)

ALL of the center zig-zag springs were rusted through at the bottom where they were clamped to the rusty lower edgewire.

As is super common (nearly every set of seats i've done) the outboard seat back support wire was broken off.

I bent up whole new lower spring assembly border wires from scratch to replace & reinforce the rusty originals.

And here it is, new center springs sisterd in, and new borderwire's sistered in. notshown, the spring supports were also fabricated & installed.

Last edited by RAMBOW; January 26th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Good work, Ben! I bet your customer was happy!
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM
1968 442 restoration

Thanks Ben. Very helpful advice and information and it definitely made me feel better about my seat condition seeing the ones you had to repair. My wife does yacht interior design and my friend does the upholstery for her. He does excellent work but generally doesn't get into automotive so your suggestions help a lot.

I have tried four automotive upholstery shops and none have had the gauge wave spring we need. One told me to come back after he has had a chance to look through his old stuff. Fingers crossed I guess. I may need some help from John after all...

Chris
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:16 PM

Chris, I'll cut open the back of a bench seat and take pictures for you. Then you can let me know if any of the springs will work. John
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
1968 442 restoration

That would be fantastic John. I need four of the springs for the backrest and the end retainer spring for the outside edge on the drivers side. My zip code is 92106.

Chris
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Hi Chris
Well... the seatback on a 4 door car doesn't have springs in it Here's a couple pictures of what I found. The only springs are down low as can be seen in the last photo. Man, the internal parts of this seat are really clean, I was hoping it would have what you needed. John

P2090071.jpg

P2090072.jpg

P2090073.jpg
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
1968 442 restoration

Thanks John for tearing apart the seat for me. It does look great inside. Although the springs are shorter then the ones in my seat back they may be long enough for me to sister them in to my existing springs like Ben suggested. The problem I have been having is that I can't find anything with springs the same shape or thickness. As long as the seat is torn apart would you send me four or five of them and I can see if they will work? If you can that would be fantastic!

Chris
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM

When I was re-doing my seats I couldn't find exact matching springs either.
I just picked up some generic springs, edgewire, and clips from these guys. Just get the overall shape and size right and they look fine.
http://www.wsusol.com/p-733-spring-9...at-spring.aspx
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Hi Chris
Sorry, work had me chasing my tail all week! But I've pulled some springs out. If you haven't resolved this yet send me a PM with your shipping address and I'll reply with costs to cover my time plus shipping. John
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:44 AM

Great post! I was doing some research on a planned repair and this was great!

I have a few small questions on top of the previous posts - where do you source the seat back pivot caps? Is there any preferred method of removal?

when I had an upholstery shop install covers a while back, they scratched my side panels and puts caps on that really didn't match the originals.

Any feedback would be appreciated.