Dynamat and other interior items (and a new member)

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Dynamat and other interior items (and a new member)

Hey guys-

I just bought the '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible that we have been passing around the family for a few years. We have put quite a bit of work into it - rebuilt engine, transmission, blacked out the engine bay, cleaned all the major rust, new exhaust, suspension, etc. etc...so it drives like a dream (boat, I need new springs eventually). Currently, the dash is the only interior restoration that has been completed. The stock head unit has gone back in, new dash, wood trim, replace all electrical, etc. My next projects are all interior and cosmetic and I wanted to get some onions. They are numbered below for clarity...

I have read a few posts about Dynamat and I am planning on installing it mainly for heat reasons this weekend. (1) While the interior is out (just the bench and the carpets) I wanted to know what else I should be looking for.

(2) How do yall suggest adhering the carpet back to the floor pans? My major reason for messing with the interior is because last time we did carpet, we did not use any adhesives and the carpet bunches and runs. Straightening out the carpet and getting it tight is a big priority for me because it really improves the baseline look of the interior.

(3) last one- the top of the windshield is embarrassingly rusted out. The car sat for ~15 years with the roof up (I have taken to original roof off and put the frame under the boot. No plans to ever repair that, no point as it is a Sunday driver!) and the header is completely rusted out. Is there a place where I can buy a new frame or is my best bet to take it to a shop and fork over half my savings to have it restored?

I am also going to be installing an amp with a direct connection to an iPod with no head unit for audio this weekend. I cannot find a happy solution for hiding a head unit, and I only use a aux input anyway so I figured I would try to rig something up. I will post pics and how it all went next week.

Looking forward to having a perpetual project! This car has been the answer to my quarter-life crisis (I am 27, Lord knows what car will take care of my mid-life crisis!)
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by boehm
Hey guys-

I just bought the '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible that we have been passing around the family for a few years.
Welcome to CO and nice car, too! I have a 72 'vert'.

I wanted to get some onions.
My neighbor can help you with the onions if you are in the DFW area - he grows hundreds of 'em in his little backyard...

I have read a few posts about Dynamat and I am planning on installing it mainly for heat reasons this weekend. (1) While the interior is out (just the bench and the carpets) I wanted to know what else I should be looking for
Go through this big thread and see what I went through!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-makeover.html
I used dynamat and the stories are told therein.
If you use the right carpet, gluing is not needed. However, it may need to be shimmed with jute as talked about in the above story...
Start an interior thread and keep us posted (with pictures, too!)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 25th, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Past Administrator

Rob is the guy to get your info on interiors from as you probably know after reading his thread. Welcome to CO.