General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Harrison Radiator Tag Decoding

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Harrison Radiator Tag Decoding

Does anyone have a resource on the Internet that references the
tags on 60's and 70's OEM Harrison radiators? Thanks in advance.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Lance

I am looking for this information as well???
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Trying to remember member

Nothing on the internet that I know of. Product Information Manuals (aka Assembly Manuals) and some Oldsmobile parts books have it.
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by wmachine
Nothing on the internet that I know of. Product Information Manuals (aka Assembly Manuals) and some Oldsmobile parts books have it.
I have found the radiator "assembly" code (stamped code tag that is crimped onto the passenger side tank) in my GM assembly line manual, but no codes for either the drivers side small tank or the passengers side large tank.

Side tanks have a different code stamped on each tank, that is different than the radiator as an assembly itself's code.

Mine is missing this stamped code tag that is crimped onto the passenger side tank, but I think my Harrison side tanks "IF" and "CI" are original.

Just trying to verify correct coded radiator in my Olds before big money is spent to re-core it.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM

A Harrison radiator is worth every penny! My 80 Cutlass had one from the factory that lasted 16 years before blowing out! My next radiator made it 13 months. They replaced it under warranty anyway and the replacement split on the seam and had to be soldered 6 months later. Finally I paid the price and got another Harrison. It lasted until I sold the car.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
Mine is missing this stamped code tag that is crimped onto the passenger side tank, but I think my Harrison side tanks "IF" and "CI" are original.
Just trying to verify correct coded radiator in my Olds before big money is spent to re-core it.
I see what you're saying. I don't know if there is a source for such info. I'll have to check, but I'm reasonably sure the parts books wouldn't list the individual cans. I'd try to find other owners and cars with the same application as you have and make comparisons.

Originally Posted by BOOWAH
A Harrison radiator is worth every penny! My 80 Cutlass had one from the factory that lasted 16 years before blowing out! My next radiator made it 13 months. They replaced it under warranty anyway and the replacement split on the seam and had to be soldered 6 months later. Finally I paid the price and got another Harrison. It lasted until I sold the car.
I'm guessing the only way to get a "Harrison" radiator is through GM, and I'm doubtful that there are any available as far back as the '80s now?
The quality of a recore is only as good or bad as the materials and craftsmanship of the shop that does it. As with any rebuild. In the late '80s I had a '65 radiator recored and they added side supports that weren't on the OEM units (leading to longer life) and that was thus *better* than OEM.