General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found a great deal today!!

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Found a great deal today!!

One of my biggest beefs with my 64 Starfire was always the fact that the rear panel on the back of the car had a dent in it and the "O" was missing. It reads "OLDSM BILE".
I figured I would stop by and see the guy that I bought the car from to see if he might still have the "O" kicking around somewhere. I thought that it might be a longshot but it doesn't hurt to ask. When I stopped by I noticed an old starfire sitting behind his shop. Althought he wasn't home I thought this would probably be a good parts car if the price was right.
Today I called him and he told me that he wanted $6000.00 for the car including a whole bunch of parts including a new front fender and quarter panel and a couple of engines and transmissions and he would not sell the car by itself. This seemed very expensive so I had to decline but he said I could stop in and he will look to see if he had a spare "O".
While we were looking through his boxes of stuff for the "O" that I needed I noticed a rear panel with all of the letters still on on the top of a shelf. He took it down and it looked like it was almost brand new and the letters still had the red paint in the center of them. So for $100.00 I walked away with the panel including a few 64 owners manuals and all the letters for the front of the car as well.
Although my wife is not too happy that I spent $100.00 without asking her first ( our bank account is now in overdraft ) I am a very happy man and will gladly sleep on the couch for the next few evenings with out any regrets.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM

congrats,and sounds like you got just what you needed plus a little extra
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM

That is what I like to hear. The people I have dealt with for Oldsmobile parts, information, etc. have all been super to deal with. Definetly worth a few nights on the couch! Congrats!
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Captain of my ship

Congrats , it sounds like you got a great deal and the wife will always forgive you , especially when you do something nice for her. You know something unexpected but in a couple of days so she doesn't think your just sucking up
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Congrats , it sounds like you got a great deal and the wife will always forgive you , especially when you do something nice for her. You know something unexpected but in a couple of days so she doesn't think your just sucking up
You can tell wolfmans been married for awhile. Great find, Thats your aw SH*$ for the week now you need some atta boys to make up for it. The ratio is 100 attaboys to one aw SH*$
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cutlass Lover

Great answer Wolfman!!!! You've been learned reeaalll good! I'm proud!!!!
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by citcapp
You can tell wolfmans been married for awhile. Great find, Thats your aw SH*$ for the week now you need some atta boys to make up for it. The ratio is 100 attaboys to one aw SH*$
Actually I have never been married probably cause I never learned to take my own advice. just passing along all the mistakes I made along the way
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Great answer Wolfman!!!! You've been learned reeaalll good! I'm proud!!!!
Thanks , i was self-taught Even though I have had several long term relationships , including the present one I have never actually had a woman live with me full time. usually just weekends or holidays. once i went 2 weeks then I told her to go back home I guess I am just a romantic and like that dating thing
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
GM Enthusiast

Always good to find something you need to finish off your car. Like another piece of the puzzle right? I'm sure your wife will forgive you, especially if you give her a small bouqet of flowers!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks , i was self-taught Even though I have had several long term relationships , including the present one I have never actually had a woman live with me full time. usually just weekends or holidays. once i went 2 weeks then I told her to go back home I guess I am just a romantic and like that dating thing
You told her to go back home...!! I love it!! Seriously though, we all know how hard relationships can be at times. I wish I could go back and erase a few I shouldn't have had to begin with! But we learn from our mistakes... or at least we're supposed to. I don't know why I have to learn the hard way! Larry and I lived together for 8 years. It was very hard adjusting, especially with me having a 7 year old child! We walked on eggshells a long time when we moved in here. It takes a lot of patience and adjusting, getting used to things being different from your usual ways! Nothing wrong at all with being a romantic! Romance is good!

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Always good to find something you need to finish off your car. Like another piece of the puzzle right? I'm sure your wife will forgive you, especially if you give her a small bouqet of flowers!
Flowers are good! I love flowers!!! Cutlass parts are good too! LOL!! Or McGuires products, or polishing cloths.... It's all good!!