General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Price gouging?

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Price gouging?

I just quoted $1100 to replace the rear main seal on a 72 Cutlass w/455. Mechanic said motor has to come out to do this job right. Can that be right? I expected to pay about 1/2 of that for this job.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scott_442
I just quoted $1100 to replace the rear main seal on a 72 Cutlass w/455. Mechanic said motor has to come out to do this job right. Can that be right? I expected to pay about 1/2 of that for this job.
While the motor doesn't HAVE to come out, you're only a few bolts away from that point if you try to do it in the car. Dropping the pan is very difficult with the motor in the car due to the crossmember. Of course, once the motor is out and the pan is off, you MIGHTASWELL check the main and rod bearings...
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, be sure to use a neoprene replacement seal (from a Ford 460) and not another factory rope seal.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
By the way, be sure to use a neoprene replacement seal (from a Ford 460) and not another factory rope seal.
X2 on the ford seal and checking the whole thing while you have the motor out. Not a tough job if you have a garage, tools, some skills and access to a engine hoist (rental shops have then).
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
X2 on the ford seal and checking the whole thing while you have the motor out. Not a tough job if you have a garage, tools, some skills and access to a engine hoist (rental shops have then).
X3

PS my wife took her friend out on the town in the cutlass last night. they had a ball. it is doing great.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
car guy

Not cheap but not out of line by any means either. Not a simple job at all.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Not cheap but not out of line by any means either. Not a simple job at all.
Me personally I would never pay anybody to work on my Hotrod.....I relize we all dont work on our own cars but there has to be someone out there who would help you out with some work and not ask for a arm and a leg for labor?? Hit the car shows and look for a Oldsmobile guy who could use a few bucks.....................Jerr
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Me personally I would never pay anybody to work on my Hotrod.....I relize we all dont work on our own cars but there has to be someone out there who would help you out with some work and not ask for a arm and a leg for labor?? Hit the car shows and look for a Oldsmobile guy who could use a few bucks.....................Jerr
I don't either but I make side money and scape up money for my stuff from time to time working on other people's cars. Even as a side job at my house that would be a 700-900.00 job depending on how greasy and nasty it is.
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:18 AM

you done great doing the work on the 72 i got. why don't you try it yourself? you could pull the engine and have someone help with the seal then put it back in.
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Yeah, I might consider taking it on myself...would no doubt be good experience and thanks for the compliments on my handiwork on 'your' 72. I've got a 72 service manual but not sure how much help that would be on this job...what I love about those service manuals is all the references to the 'special' tools that most guys probably don't own. hey Eric, why don't I fly you down to help me out? I could probably do that, pay you and still not spend $1200 .

Glad to hear your wife is enjoying her Cutlass!
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Captain of my ship

Oil pan

Well I removed the oil pan from my 69-98 455 over the winter without taking the motor out or unbolting the tranny. getting it past the crossmember was the tough part but after unbolting the mounts i started jacking the front of the motor until i could clear the crossmember.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by scott_442
Yeah, I might consider taking it on myself...would no doubt be good experience and thanks for the compliments on my handiwork on 'your' 72. I've got a 72 service manual but not sure how much help that would be on this job...what I love about those service manuals is all the references to the 'special' tools that most guys probably don't own. hey Eric, why don't I fly you down to help me out? I could probably do that, pay you and still not spend $1200 .

Glad to hear your wife is enjoying her Cutlass!
i'm game. i'm sure that you would be fine. just ask all the questions you need to and it will work out.