General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

explain body types

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM

explain body types

I need to know what body type the 1964 Olds 98 is. and what shares the body type. Also what suspension parts were shared i know the lower control arms are the same as the 64 Chevelle and the upper control arms are the same as 73 Chevelle. From what i have found it is also the same as the Jetstar and a few components as the Starfire. please help

Last edited by toymaker199; July 13th, 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typos
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Ninety Eights are GM "C" body, along with Buick Electra and Cadillacs except Fleetwoods (which are "D" body).

I'd have to look up what interchanges suspension-wise, but offhand I expect it's 63-64 88/98/Starfire/Jetstar I. Jetstar 88s use pretty much same suspension as Chevrolet including the smaller brakes. There were some changes in 1965, but 1965-70 full-size Olds all have identical suspension.
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM

that is awsome that helps out alot thankyou. I read on here that the cutlass shares the lower arms with the 98 and it was done by olds to save production cost if that is true then i can adapt global west suspension to it, and all i have to do is get the spindles figured out. I'm trying to get big disks and the low stance like the g machines with out welding in a sub frame i really do think it can be done. I also found thet ford granadas were rear steer so mabey i can work with that. I'm a machinist and a welder so fab work is easy.
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by toymaker199
that is awsome that helps out alot thankyou. I read on here that the cutlass shares the lower arms with the 98 and it was done by olds to save production cost if that is true then i can adapt global west suspension to it, and all i have to do is get the spindles figured out. I'm trying to get big disks and the low stance like the g machines with out welding in a sub frame i really do think it can be done. I also found thet ford granadas were rear steer so mabey i can work with that. I'm a machinist and a welder so fab work is easy.
I can guarantee you that the Cutlass does NOT share any suspension parts with the 98, at least not in 1964. I can also guarantee that a 73 A-body does not use the same suspension parts as a 64 C-body. The A-body Global West suspension parts will not fit a 64 98 without LOTS of cutting and welding, at which point there is no guarantee that the suspension geometry is anywhere close. Spindles are unique to the 63-64 Olds B-body and C-body cars. Also, if you think you can swap on later spindles to get disk brakes cheaply, you cannot. First, the 64 (and all 65-70 GM full size cars) are rear steer. The later disk brake spindles are front steer. Also, the tie rod taper is different. At a minimum you would need to get the correct tapered reamer (available from Speedway Motors) and remachine the spindles to fit the ball joints.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM

so what is my 76 CC?
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

I guess it's that time again. We should probably make this a sticky:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/14012-post3.html
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Thank you Joe it's good to have someone that is able to clear up some of the info that is found around the net. This is why i research everything before i even pick up a wrench. I miss working for chevy they had all kinds of info on hand that would have cleared that up some time ago. But i hated working on all the new cars any way.
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
so what is my 76 CC?
B wagon with Ninety Eight grille/header panel and pseudo-Ninety Eight taillights.

I noticed this afternoon when I was out in the county that the rear window in my old 76 has shattered. No idea what may have caused that. It's been parked since 1991 with windows cracked open to avoid excessive heat buildup.

I guess I should yank the drivetrain and call the junk man. I've stripped almost everything the Ninety Eight can use off it, and the sheetmetal has rusted thru in some areas.