General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

can this be right? 67 442 $5000

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM

can this be right? 67 442 $5000

even if it's a clone, looks really nice

can it be real?

not my vintage but entertaining to see

p/w, factory air

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/1146809552.html
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
even if it's a clone, looks really nice

can it be real?

not my vintage but entertaining to see

p/w, factory air

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/1146809552.html
clone or not, you better jump on it.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:25 AM

my plate is qyuite full at the moment, not to mention my garage

Old May 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM

You can bet this is a scam. The giveaway is the lack of any phone number, not to mention the price is to good to be true.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM

I agree. Don't send any money. I'd check it out because it could be a divorce sale but I'd sure keep my guard up. Also a lot of scammers use two first names as their full name ( John Thomas, Steve Henry) and this one Craig Harvey? Watch out.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Maybe a typo, should be $50,000 instead of $5,000?

Henry
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Trying to remember member

I'll bet it is a scam. The car looks familiar (like I've seen it before) and scammers obviously boost pics from somewhere. May be this car:
http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/582069.html
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Geezer

Definitely a SCAM! All the pictures many not even be of the same car. Notice one photo has no license plate or license plate holder on the front bumper while another has the holder with the plate photo shopped out. Plus the photos do not appear to have been taken at the same time or same place.

Somebody call the CSI Miami crew...........
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM

It's a bogus Olds
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
It's a bogus Olds
The *Olds* is not bogus..........
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by wmachine
The *Olds* is not bogus..........
Correct! There is no such thing as a "Bogus Olds," only bogus people wanting others to think they have an Olds to sell.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'll bet it is a scam. The car looks familiar (like I've seen it before) and scammers obviously boost pics from somewhere. May be this car:
Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Definitely a SCAM! All the pictures many not even be of the same car. Notice one photo has no license plate or license plate holder on the front bumper while another has the holder with the plate photo shopped out. Plus the photos do not appear to have been taken at the same time or same place.

Somebody call the CSI Miami crew...........
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Registered Luser

Hey guys....just picked it up tonight! Not bogus...$5k. Best deal I ever got............................ Psyche! Notice one pic has an antenna and the other doesn't!
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Hey guys....just picked it up tonight! Not bogus...$5k. Best deal I ever got............................ Psyche! Notice one pic has an antenna and the other doesn't!

Why is it that antenna looks more like a telephone pole in the background than an antenna? Psyche?
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Why is it that antenna looks more like a telephone pole in the background than an antenna? Psyche?
I guess the thickness is a little out of scale...oops!
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I guess the thickness is a little out of scale...oops!

You should see the radio that antenna connects to, true old school sound system
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3955rx.jpg (10.0 KB, 5 views)
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Scam for sure. Look closely, that is definitely the car from here:

I emailed our friend Craig. (Craigslist founder, I'm sure).
Here is the seller's e-mailed response to my inquiry. Which by the way did not answer my questions to him, meaning this is a "canned" response.

"Hi there,

Before we go ahead,in case you are still interested, some words about the car: Thie is a restored 1967 Oldsmobile 442 / rotisserie restored / 4-speed with only 25 miles since completion.FEATURES :400 c.i. 4bbl. high performance,Muncie 4-speed close ratio transmission,Anti-Spin limited slip differential,W-30 functional ram air breather assembly,tachometer,Power steering,Power front disc brakes,Power windows,AM pushbutton radio,power antenna,correct "A-A" black exterior finish / black vinyl top,black interior,bucket seating & center console,Oldsmobile Rally wheels / B.F. Goodrich Silvertown redline tires (7.5-15),Rubber Oldsmobile mats,original warranty book & protect-o-plate.

LIKE NEW CONDITION. CLEAR TITLE
VIN# 335177M318260

Price is $5,000.00 .The only reason I am selling is that my wife lost her job 6 months ago, and as a result we are downsizing our expenses.I'm in a hurry to find a buyer because I'm in debts with my bank.But what it's really worrying me is that if I don't get money quickly I'll lose my house because the term due at my bank is near and I don't have the money to pay my rate.So now you can see the reason why I'm selling my car at $5,000.00.

Car will be shipped by DAS .My brother who works for DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) will take care by the shipping..he has his own advantages..you know .
I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for you and me to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it (for 5 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected.
If this is the car you are looking for and if you agree with these conditions let me know and i will set up the transaction through eBay.
Thank you
PS: If you want to see more pics just let me know!

Craig & Sandra "

Never mind the VIN is incorrect (will be fake, regardless) and the car is not even *on* E-bay. You won't be able to verify the VIN, or much else for that matter. You won't be able to examine it prior to payment, or show up cash in hand to pick up the car. What ends up happening is that you are directed to make a payment though a place you are lead to believe is "buyer protected". Zap. Payment made, end of deal.
This isn't one of the better ones. 10k is too low to be believable. The better ones tell you the price is something like $20k-$25k, and they ask for a $5k payment with the balance collect on (free) delivery.

I just want to make everyone aware of these scams.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:11 AM

If the economy and fuel prices continue to squeeze the life out of the good old USA, in the near future $5000 might be a little too much for that Olds.
The scammers will have to lower their price.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by MN71W30
If the economy and fuel prices continue to squeeze the life out of the good old USA, in the near future $5000 might be a little too much for that Olds.
The scammers will have to lower their price.
Yeah! And the hottest new item in the vintage car world will be a conversion kit for TH350 and TH400 transmissions to four speed pedal drive.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM

My previous post didn't go through right. So...
The only thing I noticed different from the link that WMachine posted and the CL one was the front inner fender well colors.
I would have to agree with the "it's a scam" posts. Too good to be true and the email that WMachine posted says it all, especially the part where the guys brother works for a transport company.
What a shame...
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
car guy

Nice canned responce letter. Change to 69 Camaro and its the same BS answer I got a year ago. That guys cousin worked for DAS also...imagine that
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Nice canned responce letter. Change to 69 Camaro and its the same BS answer I got a year ago. That guys cousin worked for DAS also...imagine that
Yeah Richard, imagine that...you were inquiring about a camaro!
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM

also, the grammar:

Car will be shipped by DAS .My brother who works for DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) will take care by the shipping..he has his own advantages..you know
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:55 AM

After I've twice said I'll be there cash in hand to pick it up (both times ignored(, I get the following. Note that the car is now in Montana, not Florida. And yes, the photo link is fake.

"Hello again,
First see the pics of the car..just click or copy and paste in your new browser the following link:
http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...y71/?start=all
Clear title .Perfect condition.
The car will be shipped by my brother who works for DAS from Havre,MT for free (the car has been crated ready for shipping because the loan of my other buyer didn't get approved) .The shipping will take 4-6 days, depending on your location. Shipping will be door to door,to your home address,somebody must be home when the car arrives to sign for the reception.The car will arrive with all the papers and documents required for registration and the keys. The clear title and the bill of sale will be already signed by me.

The payment will be done through eBay.You will send the money to eBay and as soon as the payment is confirmed they will notify me to proceed with the shipping. I will ship the car, you will receive it and you will have 5 days for inspection, both the car and the paperwork and the option to accept or reject the car.The inspection time period will begin as soon as you sign for receiving the car at your requested address .During all this time eBay will hold the money into a trust account.So, this is not a blind transaction,you can see the car before decided to buy it.If you are satisfied with the car and decide to keep it you inform eBay about this and they will release the money to me. If the car is not as advertised and decide not to keep it eBay will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back the car will be my concern. I think this is more than fair for the both of us. Please take into consideration that I will get paid only after you receive the car and make sure everything is as agreed.

If you agree with these terms and you have the money we can go ahead with the deal.
To set up the transaction through eBay,i need the following details:
1.Your full name.
2.Your full shipping address
After set up the transaction,you will be contacted by ebay with all
the transaction details,payment&shipping instructions,etc.
I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.
Thank you
Craig & Sandra "
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM

WOW! What a line of bull! Who crates a whole car? Why not put it on a trailer and put a cover on it. The Ebay thing is a big misleading joke to the unsuspected. I wonder if anybody has called him out yet?
What a shame!

Keep up the great Sherlock Holmes thing WMachine!
Hopefully nobody falls for this guys scam!
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass
WOW! What a line of bull! Who crates a whole car? Why not put it on a trailer and put a cover on it. The Ebay thing is a big misleading joke to the unsuspected. I wonder if anybody has called him out yet?
What a shame!

Keep up the great Sherlock Holmes thing WMachine!
Hopefully nobody falls for this guys scam!
Oh, I'm sure lots of guys have called him out on this. But it doesn't matter. All he needs is one patsy, more is a bonus. You won't be able to track him down and he'll go until he gets his payment(s) then disappear. Best we can do is spread the word and hope to thin the herd for him.