General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question for someone familiar with late 60's Delta's

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Question for someone familiar with late 60's Delta's

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can give me a little guidance on something I am thinking about doing. I don't want to get half-way through and find myself in trouble. Here it is:

I have a 1968 Delmont 88 convertible that is in fantastic original condition. It has a yawn-inducing 350 2-bbl engine and equally blah driveline. No rust, everything works, great top & new correct Jade Gold paint.

I also have a 1969 Delta 88 Custom 2-door hardtop. This car is equally solid, but the cool thing about this particular Delta is that it was ordered with the B07 Police Apprehender Highway Patrol option (heavy-duty suspension), 455/390 High-Performance engine, RPO M41 Severe-Duty transmission, Power Disc Brakes, A/C and posi rear (2.94 ratio, if memory serves).

The Delmont is a real pleasure boat and my wife and I love to cruise her. the Delta isn't registered yet.

I want to swap the entire drivetrain, suspension and associated components into the Delmont and have a real barn-storming convertible.

Here's my question:

Will everything swap over directly? I'm talking the High Capacity radiator, sway bars, springs, front disc brakes, the entire rear-end, etc. I mean everything that made the Delta a police package.

Keeping in mind that both vehicles have their original drivetrain, does anyone have an opinion as to if this will destroy the Delmont's value? the swap just seems to make sense. I get a high-performance convertible and I don't have to register and insure another vehicle. It also frees up some much needed space in my workshop.

I would really like to hear what you folks think.

thanks for your time and I am standing-by,
Uncle Hulka
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Everything will swap but I would think the 69 has some real value as is. To take all the police stuff and leave a shell or junk the rest would really be a molestation in my opinion. Keep the conv stock as well....never heard of a police packaged conv. May even hurt resale value of the conv. I would think it to be a slug as you say but still enjoyable. Keep the 69 as is for your performance urge and a slow conv is still a convert....Just my opinion.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM

I agree if the Delta Custom is in good shape restore it and drive it! If you can't live with the performance of the convertible, and have room to store the original 350 then look for a 425 or 455 to build and put in it. It would be nice to keep the 350 so you could put it back to original someday if you ever wanted to. I know a guy with a Ralley 350 that years ago he tossed the 350 and installed a 455. Today I believe the car would be worth more and have more demand with the correct 350, but it's long gone. My 2 cents.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I agree with 2blu442; find another 455 (even a 2bbl) for the convertible and keep it a cruiser, smoooooth ride and all. I wouldn't even worry about storing the 350.
Those '69 Deltas with the Highway Patrol options are too cool to cannibalize!
All '69 Deltas from the factory had a harsher ride than the '68s, and very little spring travel before hitting the stops (front). We changed the front springs on almost every 69 B-body we sold to the longer, softer '68 springs, and Olds covered it under warranty. They caught hell from a lot of folks for the "turnpike cruiser" spring package. The HP version is probably a little stiffer, yet.
I would love to have a Delta like that. Put on some tires that fill the wells, add a sweet exhaust. . . man oh man. What a head-turner.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I agree with the others on leavng the 69 Delta together. It would be a shame to scrap a car like that. Where I differ is that I would keep the 350 in the 68 Delmont. I think the Delmont came with a 330 or a 455. I remember my wifes folks bought a 68 Delmont brand new. It had a 330 with a 2 barrel and the thing would run. I would check the 350 to see if it is a smog motor or if it needs a good tune up. A good set of dual turbos and a good 4 barrel will make a world of difference. It will be a lot less work too. Just my opinion as to what I would do. One other thing, send pictures. We would love to see these cars.
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think the Delmont came with a 330 or a 455. I remember my wifes folks bought a 68 Delmont brand new. It had a 330 with a 2 barrel and the thing would run. I would check the 350 to see if it is a smog motor or if it needs a good tune up. A good set of dual turbos and a good 4 barrel will make a world of difference. It will be a lot less work too. Just my opinion as to what I would do. One other thing, send pictures. We would love to see these cars.
No, '67 was the last of the 330s, they're 350s starting in '68.

Yes, I'd just wake up the Delmont's 350 as redoldsman suggests (keep/store the original parts).

And I'm definitely on the bandwagon for keeping the HP Delta intact. A true high performance B-body, a sleeper, and I think a very "collectable" car. Too rare to really establish a market value, but I'll tell you this: Given the choice, I'd take the Delta hands down. (I happen to have one of those 390 HP 455s in my garage!)
I know, it it easy for us to "spend your money", and you need to work with what your situation is. But you can see from our response that the Delta is one special car. If you're like me, you're into Olds at least partly because Oldsmobiles are unusual. And that Delta is unusual on top of unusual!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Img_0042.jpg (40.0 KB, 33 views)
02.08.07 026.jpg (108.7 KB, 28 views)
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

OK, now I can share my feelings. I absolutely agree with everything each of you has said. I LOVE original, correct cars. The only reason I was considering that swap was it would be a way for me to enjoy the powerful drivetrain of the Delta in combination with the coolnes of the Delmont Convertible. Car funds are stretched a bit thin right now because of another project I've been working on (more on that in a bit).

You guys have reinforced my original intent. Screw it. I'm going to keep them both the way they are. I may pursue the idea of a 4 BBL on the Delmont. I looked for a correct intake, carb and air cleaner for this engine (yes it is a 350, 330 was for '67's) but have had no luck.

There are somethings I need to share about the Delta that you may find interesting. When I bought the Delta, I became the 2nd owner. I bought it from a man who got it from the estate of the original owner and he had amassed a huge collection of trim parts to restore the cars to a concours level. Sadly I couldn't afford to buy all his parts, but I did buy a few hard to find items:

Two (2) NOS Front Fenders
One (1) NOS Gas Tank
One (1) Front Brake Rotor (he had two but couldn't find the 2nd one)

He also had both volumes of the 1969 Oldsmobile Dealership Product Catalogs. WOW, what a find that was!!! One covers everything about all the 1969 Olds car line and all RPO options. The 2nd covers has all the paint chips and interior fabric material samples for each car. These are the books the salesman would use to help build your desired car. I just LOVE those books.

There is one last thing that came with the car that is (to me) priceless. The original owner kept a detailed log book of EVERYTHING about this car. It begins on July 3, 1969 when he picked up the car at the dealership and goes until his last entry in 1991 when he died. It documents every fuel stop (brand and type of fuel, gallons to the tenth and car mileage), every oil change, every service performed, EVERYTHING! You can feel his frustrations as he tries to compensate for the loss of leaded fuel and the decreasing quality of gas in the late 70's/early 80's. He adjusted the timing, recurved the distributor and began adding Marvel Mystery Oil. I find this type of history fascinating. Whenever I bought an old car, I've always wondered how it was treated and maintained. With this car, I know every detail of this cars life from day one.

As I write this, I'm embarrassed to have even considered cannibalizing the Delta. Thanks to everyone for helping me see the light and avoid an irrevocable mistake.

I have found some but not much information about B07 Police option cars on the net. Can anyone here direct me to a good site? Does anyone have any stories about these cars? I would love to hear (read) them!

How can I post pics of the Delta and the Delmont? The Delta paint is horrible, but the car is extremely tight and solid. The Delmont was a desert car its whole life and never had a spec of rot.

Thanks again for saving me from myself. I welcome your thoughts.

Uncle Hulka

PS - The other project I mentioned earlier, the one that has sucked up all my money, is not an Olds, but it is a pretty cool car regardless. It's a 1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible. Best part is that its a factory 440/375HP car. Another reason for me to leave the Delta and the Delmont alone. As my wife said to me "How many 1968, full-size, dark green, high-performance big-block convertibles do you really need?"
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks to you guys for setting me straight on the 330/350 engine. Now that I think about it, the Delmont my inlaws had was a 67. Amazing how things start to get fuzzy after 40 years. My father-in-law passed away in 1971 and my mother-in-law sold the car to a grandson (not my child) in 1976. He kept the car about 3-6 months and got broad sided and totalled it. It was a 2-door and a really good car.

Glad we could help on your decision. I don't thing you will regret it. Nobody here will cast a stone at you for your Mopar. Awesome car.
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Uncle Hulka
I have found some but not much information about B07 Police option cars on the net. Can anyone here direct me to a good site? Does anyone have any stories about these cars? I would love to hear (read) them!
Glad to hear you're preserving the Delta, especially in light of the solid history you have on the car!
So it never made it into service as a law enforcement vehicle? Wonder how the original owner acquired it. Does it have the Highway Patrol decal on the air cleaner?
I can help you with info on the B07 option on the '69 Deltas. I can scan info and send it to you. Some comes from the very Dealer Product Information album you said you like so much!
My e-mail is wmachine@shubes.net
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

I feel better about my decision as well. I've been so wrapped up with the Sport Fury that I haven't given a thought to the Delta in a long time. As I was writng to the group here, my passion for the Delta has been rekindled.

The Delta was never intended for public service. The original owner was a Naval Officer in New Jersey. In 1969, he wanted to purchase a High-Performance Oldsmobile, but not a 4-4-2 or any other intermediate. He wanted a full-size performance automobile. He ended up placing an order for this unique Oldsmobile.

I appreciate whatever info you may have, but I've read everything the books mention. I was hoping for real experiences, magazine articles, anything and everything!

Can anyone tell me how to post pics? I want to share them with the folks who are helping me.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Can anyone tell me how to post pics? I want to share them with the folks who are helping me.
When replying there is a quick reply and an advanced. Go to advanced

Scroll down below the typing box and you will see Manage attachments click on it and a new box will pop up

Hit browse
upload
wait
then close that box
then hit preview post
and your pics should be there
Attached Images
Charlie Weaver.jpg (6.4 KB, 9 views)
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Oldsdruid

Just curious if the cop car is buckets/console? Seems like a lot of 1970 W33 coupes were, esp if built as Royales.

You should be able to use any 1966-72 small-block 4-bbl intake on the Delmont. 73- later had EGR, and it might be simpler to use one with a hot air choke vs a divorced choke.

Good luck. You have three interesting and desirable cars.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Thank you all for the great encouragement and advice. It has been taken to heart.

Sorry but the Delta is a bench seat. Oh, if only it were buckets and console. I am trying to find a reasonably priced tilt column for the Delta. I'm a pretty big boy (6'2" 300+) and tilt would be better than re-mounting the bench back a few inches.

OK, I'm going to try to put up some pics of all 3 cars. Hope this works!
Attached Images
DSC00041_SM3.jpg (79.3 KB, 44 views)
DSC00034_sm.jpg (92.6 KB, 48 views)
Delmont_01.jpg (80.6 KB, 44 views)
DSCF0012_SM2.jpg (80.6 KB, 41 views)
01.JPG (84.3 KB, 40 views)
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ben

looks like some cool cars.

i had a 68 delmont 88 ragtop also...
Olds-1.jpg

Loved that car, even though it was full of bondo. 455 powered, it was and awesome cruiser.

I'm going to be the disenting voice in the group, as i really don't like the lines of the 69 cars, I'd swap over the big block and all the cool stuff to the delmont.

But thats just me
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
70 hulk

Thumbs up

nice 68 convertible ,it is nice the way it is great cruising car, you got to love the smooth ride they have, i put 20's on my 70 to hide the wheel wells it makes it a real head turner; i'd would not live it down if i would let this one go, my grand kids,almost 3and 4 years old are hooked on what we named the hulk,my wife says nice color also, her favorite 1970 Delta 88 Convertible.jpg

Last edited by dwsshay; April 29th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Both great looking cars! The '70 looks gorgeous and I can't believe how good the Crager S/S wheels look on the Delmont.

Anybody have any leads on a 4 barrel intake and carb for my 350? I don't think it would be a bad idea to give the Delmont a Wake Up call. Of course, then I would have to add dual exhaust. Yikes! There goes my all money!
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Oldsdruid

?? on the Fury's simulated mag wheelcovers. Do they in fact have the Plymouth insignia in the centercap? If so, they're the only ones I've seen.

Not sure who made those, but they were available in Chevrolet, Buick, Dodge and Ford versions with appropriate center. Great looking caps that too often got trashed for a set of "real" mag wheels.
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

I wondered about those wheel covers myself.....until I found this in a 1968 Dealers Salesman Guide. They remind me of the wheels on my old "Hot Wheels"!
Attached Images
68_Plymouth_Fury0029_SM.jpg (92.9 KB, 26 views)
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Three comments. I love the green color of both the convertibles. That Delta is very cool, keep it that way. The Delmont is a beautiful car and that top looks spotless. I remember reading someplace that the police package Deltas were used in Minnesota by the state. Apparently they were a very good highway pursuit vehicle. Very cool.

By the way, we review/approve all registrations with the administator cp and when I saw your user name I had to think twice. For some reason my first thought was "this person isn't a serious applicant", I am glad I ignored that. So, what is the story behind your user name?

edit: The same thing happened when coldwar applied too.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Thank you for the compliments on my cars and again I want to thank everybody for their great input. This really is a teriffic site and I am so glad I joined.

My user name is actually a family nickname. Back in the 60's I collected comics and my favorite was The Incredible Hulk. Iin 1981, the movie "Stripes" was released and was really popular. Warren Oates (from "Two-Lane Blacktop" for all us gear heads) played a character named Sgt. Hulka. That same year I became an uncle for the first time. Being 6'2" and 300+ lbs. all these unrelated happenstances combined to inspire my Oldest sister to nickname me "Uncle Hulka". The moniker stuck like glue and to this day, even as a Grandfather twice over, I'm still known as Uncle Hulka. Even my kids call me Hulka!

I know its a silly name, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! You guys can all feel free to call me Uncle Hulka......all my friends do!
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Past Administrator

Ha! I figured there was a reasonable explanation. I do remember Warren Oates in Two Lane Blacktop, in fact I just watched it last week with my son and enjoyed it so much I purchased my own copy. Got a two CD set with interviews, Director's comments, etc. Pretty neat.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

TLB is pretty much my favorite car movie. I had a Chevelle with an M-22 trans and it sounded exactly like the '55. Just a great movie! Also a very early appearance of Harry Dean Stanton as the hitchhiker GTO picks up.

For the record, the '55 had an Olds rear end in her!
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Past Administrator

TLB is pretty much my favorite car movie.....Also a very early appearance of Harry Dean Stanton as the hitchhiker GTO picks up.

For the record, the '55 had an Olds rear end in her!
Ww, we, we can still be friends can't we?
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

"I thought it might relax you"

Classic!
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Great 1968 Oldmobile commercials!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqt9DOFTaY

Quality's a bit rough, but ahhhhh.......the memories!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM

Cool cars, especially the 2 door 69 with the Police package!
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Thanks, SIPLOWGUY. I appreciate your compliment. Wait 'til she's all done!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Past Administrator

Uncle, you may have not seen this picture and I wanted to share it with you. The car is probably trashed by now or rotting in a field but it was a nice one when I owned it.
Attached Images
left_front_profile.JPG (62.5 KB, 35 views)
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

She looks beautiful! I love the Ralley II's on her. I may just go that route myself!

Thanks for sharing. I hope you're wrong about her current condition.

Uncle Hulka
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Uncle -

Cool Cars - I have a 67 Delta 88 Holiday HT and its all original and only has 40K on the clock.

You should look into a Edelbrock intake and Q-jet carb combo on that 350. I had that combo oon my 72 Cutlass and it made a big difference.

Thanks for the pics and for sharing your love of the Bigguns!

GUY
Attached Images
67DELTA.jpg (69.4 KB, 14 views)
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Past Administrator

Watch it with the wheel adapters Uncle. I only had those SSIIs on there for a short while. I had trouble keeping the wheel adapters tight as the bolt circles on the car and the wheels don't match.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Guy, your ride looks so Sweeeeet! I love the lines on these cars. I'd take a Delta/Delmont/98 over an comparable Impala any day....and I LOVE Impalas! I just noticed your wheel covers. My first musclecar was a 1967 4-4-2 convertible and it had almost identical covers. Some day when I have time, I'll share the story of how I found and lost that car. It's a long story, but I can promise it will be both interesting and 100% true.

By the way, just call me Hulka. Everyone else in the real world does, so why not my friends here?

Dan, thanks for the tip on the SSII wheel adapters.
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Everything will swap but I would think the 69 has some real value as is. To take all the police stuff and leave a shell or junk the rest would really be a molestation in my opinion. Keep the conv stock as well....never heard of a police packaged conv. May even hurt resale value of the conv. I would think it to be a slug as you say but still enjoyable. Keep the 69 as is for your performance urge and a slow conv is still a convert....Just my opinion.
I agree.
Jerry
OCA# 14350
Advisor for 1968 W-34 Toronado