ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Electrical
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1

Firing order on HEI cap

I have a '72 350 with an add on HEI. I had the plug wires removed (and marked) and misplaced them over the summer. I had to buy new wires and need to know where the wires go on the distributor cap. I know the firing order on the engine but do not know where to put the wires on the cap. The electrical block on the HEI is pointed towards the driver's side fender. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2

Technically the wires can go anywhere on the cap as long as it goes in the firing order. As long as you did not remove the distributor and the engine was in time before you took off the cap, just put the engine on T.D.C. on the compression stroke and see where the rotor is in relation to the cap. Mark that as #1 and then connect the following wires going off of the firing order, making sure you are going the direction the rotor normally turns.
dan2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #3

Looking at the distributor from the front of the car # 1 cylinder is in the 5 o'clock position then in a counterclockwise rotation #8-#4-#3-#6-#5-#7-#2
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Just an Olds Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72rocket View Post
I have a '72 350 with an add on HEI. I had the plug wires removed (and marked) and misplaced them over the summer. I had to buy new wires and need to know where the wires go on the distributor cap. I know the firing order on the engine but do not know where to put the wires on the cap. The electrical block on the HEI is pointed towards the driver's side fender. Any help would be much appreciated.
Easy,
start directly behind the coil pack on the dist cap. Looking from the front of the car to the back the #8 plug is at the very back left (same side as the voltage regulator), the next one to it's left is #4 then #3 etc. That gives you the right order and the directional turn you need to fire properly. (Olds distributor turns to the left). When you're done, #1 is just to the right side of where you started #8. I drew a picture on the computer to show you what I mean. It's attached to this thread.

One more thing, now that you have an HEI distributor, a standard air cleaner won't fit. You'll have to adapt yours, or get one with clearance for the HEI cap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf firing%20order%20HEI.pdf (15.2 KB, 166 views)

The opinions expressed by Allan R are solely those of an Olds enthusiast and are not in any way meant to hinder a relationship between other Olds fans and their dreams...

Scientia est vox
Allan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One note on the air cleaner. Years ago when I put the HEI on my 72 Cutlass, I bought a plastic spacer that went between the carb (Q-Jet) and the air cleaner. It was so long ago that Super Shops was still in business. I think Holley made it. It easily cleared the hood and the only thing I had to do was use some fex for the stove pipe. I don't know if they are still available but it was easier than reworking the air cleaner and looked better.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit