Front Parking Lights and Drive Side Fr turn signal Not Working

Old August 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM

Front Parking Lights and Drive Side Fr turn signal Not Working

Hi, I have a 1967 442. The front parking lights do not work, nor does the drivers side turn signal. I have cleaned the contacts on the the turn signal and checked for continuity from the plug to the plug housing. I also checked for continuity with the bulb in from boths sides. So, I have rulled out a problem from the Plug to the bulb. I then cleaned the contacts on both sides of the plug. Still nothing. I have the wiring diagram and it appears there is a ground wire on this side of the parking/turn signal housing. I don't see a wire. Is this grounded through the housing? I do get power to the female side of the plug, the power is steady and not pulsing when the turn signal is working. The rear turn signals and parkinig lights work fine. I really don't know how long I have had this problem. I recently moved the battery to the trunk to clean up he engine compartment. I did find a stray wire that was a ground, but it was broken. I couldn't tell where it came from. I noticed this when I cheched everything out. I have tried gounding out the plug, but still get nothing. Any suggestions? This has got me stumped. Maybe my ground isn't good. I do know the front parking lights have not worked since I bought the car 4 years ago.
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM

It sure does sound like a ground issue, as the parking light and turn signal 12V lines are independent from each other.
-If there are only 2 wires on the turn/park light socket, the ground is through the socket, housing, chassis, etc. I think you will have this setup.
-If it has 3 wires, then one is ground and should be connected to the chassis.

I have a feeling rust or corrosion in the ground path took its toll. That missing wire may be an issue also. With parking lights on do you get 12V to the sockets?

The turn signal will not flash unless the correct load is placed on the circuit to make the flasher flash. This is normal now because your front turn signal is not working.

Also, is the spring loaded contact plate in the sockets clean and still springy? This was an issue with my reverse lights.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 1st, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM

Hi Rob, thanks for the info. It is a two wire system. I will try and remove the socket (it's like welded in). I have cleaned all terminals. The spring in the parking light socket appears to be fine with plenty of spring. The continuity, with the bulb in, appears to be fine. I wonder if I attach a teast wire to the side of the socket, grounding it, may act as a termporary ground to test the ground.. I also suspect that the light switch is bad, on the front parking light side,since neither front parking light works. Again, thanks for your help. I will let you know how I make out....Carl
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:54 AM

OK...here's what I have done so far. Cleaned all terminals, checked conteniuty in the socket, cleaned socket pins, created a jumper to jump across the good side to the bad side (to prove the socket is good). I did prove the scoket is good, since the bulb worked in the defective side when I jumped the good the wiring to the defective socket and the bulb flashed. I guess I will no have to check the conteniuty of the power plug on the defective side. If that is ok, I guess I will check the conteniuty from the plug to the back of the fuse box. Doies anyone have any other ideas??? This is really frustrating.....Thanks for your help...Carl

PS: Ido not have power to the defective side at all. Either when I use the turn signal or when the parking lights are on.....HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited by cbogartjr; August 2nd, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

Sounds like your grounds should be good if you jumped the 12V sides.
There is a connector up on the outside of the firewall about where the fuse box is; you need to see if you have juice coming from there. Use the wiring diagram to locate what color wires to chase.

From there:
-The turn signal outputs originate from the turn signal switch and there is a long harmonica shaped connector where you will need to check also.
Do the hazzard flashers work? (Not sure if they were on 68 models).

-The parking light output stems from the headlight switch.

You now seem to have problems in 2 places.
Do you have a volt meter? If not, obtain one (cheap at harbor freight) as it is a neccessity for chasing down electrical gremlins...

You are narrowing it all down at least!
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM

Thanks Rob.....Bingo youhit the nail on the head for the turn signals, I traced the wire, for the turn signals to the fire wall. I found the exterior plug assembly was not snapped in place. When the exterior plug came loose, it appears to have bent the pin for the front turn signal I was having problems with, Straighten out the pin, checked the wire for the parking lighs, in the process, and there was contenuity, I suspect the parking light problem to be in the switch. Rear parking lights work, front don't. Switch feels sloppy. Since the turn signals now work, and I am going to remove the dash and have it refurbished this winter, I will replace the switch then. Turn signals working well.....I do have a meter....Thanks, Rob, for your help....Carl
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM

Glad you found such a simple fix for the turn signals!
The headlight switch is a bear to replace without tearing into the dash, so if you are going to have it apart, might as well change the switch if it needs it or not. It is not too costly either. You can also then replace the (most likely) burned out "lights" illumination bulb (#1445).
Glad I could help!