Dielectric Grease Usage - Unconfuse me...

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Dielectric Grease Usage - Unconfuse me...

All,
I've used the little tubes they deliver with HEI caps for years. I thought the purpose of the grease there was to insulate and prevent an electrical connection.

Recently I've gotten advice from various oldsmophiles to use the stuff on points like those found in 1966 era clocks, power window & power seat switches on the argument that dielectric grease helps create a better connection.

I'm confused.

I've added HEI & an externally regualted alternator to both of my 1966 big cars so I'm not totally ignorant, but I don't get the purpose or proper usage of dielectric grease. For example, should I use it on the inside (on the connectors) of my turn signal switches and neutral safety switch? And/or window/power seat switches?

Any enlightenment you can offer is most welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Dielectric grease prevents corrosion. The biggest enemy of the old style GM connectors is that there are open to atmosphere. Corrosion hurts conductivity and grounding.

It is mandatory on all connectors and spark plug wires/boots.
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by My442
Dielectric grease prevents corrosion. The biggest enemy of the old style GM connectors is that there are open to atmosphere. Corrosion hurts conductivity and grounding.

It is mandatory on all connectors and spark plug wires/boots.
What he said. No, the grease by itself is not a good conductor, but there is sufficient metal-to-metal contact through the grease to complete the circuit, and the grease prevents corrosion.
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM

So, should I use it on power window /seat switches & connectors

Thanks for the clarification.

Then a small dab is recommended for light sockets, window motor sockets and other water-exposed electrical connections to prevent corrosion?

What about PW and PS switches?

What's your recommendation for the fuse box?

While we're on this, is there anywhere that conductive grease should be used instead?

Thanks in advance, trying to gather the conventional wisdom before diving into the next electrical project...

cf
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cfair
Thanks for the clarification.

Then a small dab is recommended for light sockets, window motor sockets and other water-exposed electrical connections to prevent corrosion?

What about PW and PS switches?

What's your recommendation for the fuse box?

While we're on this, is there anywhere that conductive grease should be used instead?

Thanks in advance, trying to gather the conventional wisdom before diving into the next electrical project...

cf
I use it on pretty much any electrical connector, particularly the older Packard 56 style as opposed to the newer WeatherPack and MetriPack connectors that have rubber seals built in. It won't hurt. If you can actually find "conductive" connector grease, I'd be wary of using it, since any that leaked or flowed out would become a potential short circuit.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM

In 1980 our VFD took delivery of a new pumper. We were always having trouble with corrosion on electrical items, especially light bulbs, because of the constant water spray and leakage on our older trucks. So, I took out every bulb on the new rig and stuck the contact end in a can of wheel bearing grease, collected a gob of grease and stuck the bulb back in the socket. I wiped off the excess that squeezed out. We fought fires with that pumper for over twenty years and never had socket corrosion problems.
DW
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
In 1980 our VFD took delivery of a new pumper. We were always having trouble with corrosion on electrical items, especially light bulbs, because of the constant water spray and leakage on our older trucks. So, I took out every bulb on the new rig and stuck the contact end in a can of wheel bearing grease, collected a gob of grease and stuck the bulb back in the socket. I wiped off the excess that squeezed out. We fought fires with that pumper for over twenty years and never had socket corrosion problems.
DW
Yes, a very common trick. There are actually two benefits to this. First is the obvious corrosion protection. The second is that the grease damps out vibration of the bulb in the socket, which prevents the solder terminal(s) on the bottom from wearing on the contacts. Since I live on a dirt road, I've had problems with vibrations causing these to wear down, which eventually causes the bulb not to work.