Wipers don't turn off right away

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Wipers don't turn off right away

The car is a 1983 Delta 88 Royale with non-delay wipers (hi/low/mist/washer only).

When driving in the rain yesterday, when I used the mist mode for the wipers, they do not always stop when I release the end of the turn signal lever. Getting them to stop involved shutting off the engine/power and after restarting the engine, waiting for a couple more sweeps before they stopped.

After I realized this issue, I decided to use the low speed wipers, and turn them on and off to have one sweep of the windshield. While driving, when I turned the wipers on to low speed and right off again, most of the time they would do one sweep, but sometimes 2, 3, 4 or more sweeps before stopping. Eventually they do stop. I tried putting them to high speed, and they sped up, and when I went back to low, they slowed down again, but when I tried turning them off, they stayed in low speed for a while.

Last summer, I had issues with the washer pump and then the wipers not stopping (ever). The problem then was the ground strap to the wiper motor/washer pump had broken off which caused the wiper motor to not stop, and the gear for the washer pump was sticking after only turning 180 degrees, so the pump was not completing a cycle. I replaced the wiper motor/washer pump with a new one, and put a new ground strap on as well.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Geezer

Ah, the ongoing curse of GM 2 speed wipers. It could be in the switch or it could be on the wiper motor unit itself. I think every GM product since the first two speed wipers appeared eventually have this problem or the wiper motor control boards just fail completely. You are going to have to chase the problem with a meter, no easy answer beyond just replacing the switch and/or motor assemblies which is basically resorting to diagnostics by substitution.

There are not less than four variations of switches used on '83 models so if you decide to replace the switch it will be imperative to know exactly which steering column your car has and the specific nature of the wiper system.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 10th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.