1972 Delta 88 Royale

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM

1972 Delta 88 Royale

I was just wondering with a 1972 Royale, Rocket 350, what the horse power output would be? I don't know if it's a two or four barrel. I'm just curious because there is one for sale near my home and I'm trying to decide if I'm interested in it or not. I really like the old boats, but I already have a Caprice and a Cadillac Brougham. I don't really need another slow land yacht. The body on this car is pretty well shot, it's filled with bondo and painted over. So really, the only reason I'd really want to buy it is for something to rip around in this summer. However, I don't really know much about cars from the early 70s, prior to the switch to low output engines.

I've checked the car out, but I haven't taken it out for a ride. I really don't want to go back again without deciding if I'm really interested or not.

I guess basically what I really want to know is what kind of horse power the different Rocket 350 engines would kick out, and what the gearing ratio is like.

Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

My experience is that a boat is a boat, and I have owned quite a few. The Small Block Olds (SBO) is a good engine and can be built to outperform just about any other small block of that era, that's my bias talking there. But in stock form you are probably looking a only 250hp or so. The rear gear ratio of most B bodies was 2.73:1 so you aren't going to see any tire skalding performance but they are excellent highway cruisers. I would say you could expect similar performance to your Caprice. I like to see anyone save an Oldsmobile from the crusher so why don't you buy it and build it........
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Yeah

Well, I'm not exactly rolling in dough right now. I'd love to buy the car, drive it until the body finally falls apart, pull the engine and keep it until I want to put it in something else. At the minute, though, I can foresee affording and engine swap any time in the near future. I can yank the engine, put I'm not good enough to put it in something else, isn't that just the way it always is?.

I could problably afford to toss some headers on it, though, toy with the exhaust a bit and flip the cap on the air breather to let it breath a little easier though. I just don't want to leave an engine I'm never going to afford to do anything with sitting in my garage. The body of the car is really on it's last legs.

I really do love Oldsmobile engines though. One of my first cars had a Oldsmobile 307. I imagine someone out there has problably gotten a million clicks out of one of those.

Eh, I'll problably buy the car anyway. Maybe I'll go after a 82-84 Trans Am to drop the Rocket 350 in to as well, if it'll fit. I'm sure I'll have the money for the swap some day. :P

Thanks for the information.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Past Administrator

No problem, and let us know what you do.