ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Large Oldsmobiles > Eighty-Eight
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #1

fitting hub caps w/o clips

anyone have any luck with or ideas with getting the original hub caps on a 61 olds starfire to be mounted without using the "clips"? I can't see spending lots of $ for the clips (i need every clip for all 4 caps) if there is a good safe alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Oldsdruid

Far as I know there IS no other way to mount them, and 1961 is a year to itself. 57-60 and 62-63 are the same. 61? a different story. I'm not sure if the 61 clips are even available.

Makes me glad my 64s don't use the silly things. All because they were trying to hide the valve stem...

I have an option on a 57 88 sedan, and as good as the spinners would look, the clips are such a PITA to deal with that if I get the car, it will keep its standard wheelcovers.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtstarfire View Post
anyone have any luck with or ideas with getting the original hub caps on a 61 olds starfire to be mounted without using the "clips"? I can't see spending lots of $ for the clips (i need every clip for all 4 caps) if there is a good safe alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
No alternative, it takes five per wheel and at $6 a pop that's only $120 invested in making a $25,000+ value restored car look right. I actually went a bit overboard and bought a set of clips for mounting a wheel cover on the spare.
Texascarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4

Yes, there's really no other alternative but to bite the bullet & use the clips.

I believe the deluxe wheelcovers were optional even on the Starfire, so if you really wanted to be different, you could use dog-dish caps & trim rings. Your car is white, correct? With a white car, the wheels would be a contrasting color, typically one that matches the interior.

I've seen a few Ninety Eights with the small caps & trim rings, but never a Starfire. Unfortunately, as difficult as it can be to deal with the clips, those deluxe wheelcovers just belong on those cars & look terrific.

The deluxe cover on the '61 is also different from the other years in that it does have a hole for the valve stem. That is its only redeeming quality. I find that the greater length of the '62 clips allows for greater play & flexibility when installing or removing the cover. The '61 clips are so darned stubby that each wheel becomes at least a 45-minute ordeal when I have to mess around with the wheelcovers.

Anybody ever notice the section in the owner's manual about the wheelcovers? There's an photo of a guy in a suit coat working on the wheel....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 Before.jpg (78.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 98g.jpg (91.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1366a.jpg (76.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0254a.jpg (92.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Starfire61; July 25th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Starfire61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. I do have a white starfire and the hubcaps are the deluxe style with a hole for the valve stem. Thanks for the advise on the larger clips for the 62 being used on the 61. I guess I'll have to get them from Fusick unless some one has an alternative source.

I really do like the original caps and like you said they make the car. My caps were color coded white, but I am planning to color code them with red to match the interior color also - just to add some contrast.

Thanks
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6

Ben-

That's correct. '61 clips only fit 1961 wheelcovers. Don't buy a set of '62 clips for your '61... you'll be very disappointed!

Chuck
Starfire61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #7

Paul and Chuck - I understand now! Thanks for the info and correction.

I like that section in the owner's manual with the guy in a suit coat, leave it to the marketing reps.

Last edited by bjtstarfire; July 26th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
bjtstarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit