1968 Delmont Convertible questions...

Old June 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
The New Guy

1968 Delmont Convertible questions...

I have my eye on a beautiful '68 Delmont 88 Convertible. It has a 455, posi, A/C, power windows and locks. I am not sure if it has buckets yet. I do not know much about the Delmont except for its 3 year run. I know the 455 must be rare-ish since the 350 was standard. Can anyone shed some light on how rare or if this is a good car to invest in. I really like the looks and the convertible is just plain sweet! This may be a car I end up selling in a couple of years when I get hitched so I need a car that I can get my money back on. I want a cruiser cheap and this one is going for under 5,000! Any advice on parts or anything like production numbers would be great. Thanks a lot.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

delmont 88 conv model #5467
this was the last year of this model
production #2,812 built
the book I have dos not list available options

on value tough the say depends on the buyer
full size cars are still tough to judge value, the market is still towards muscle

do some searches online ther must be some classic car price guide listed some were
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
The New Guy

Originally Posted by 70-delta88
delmont 88 conv model #5467
this was the last year of this model
production #2,812 built
the book I have dos not list available options

on value tough the say depends on the buyer
full size cars are still tough to judge value, the market is still towards muscle

do some searches online ther must be some classic car price guide listed some were
Only 2,812 built! Thats pretty rare. I like cars that are hard to find since that makes them different and its always nice to see something other than the Chevy. Your right about the muscle car market, but I figure in about 15-20 years there will be nothing left to restore; everything will be either parted out or already restored. Thanks for the production numbers.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

With rare exception, almost any car you buy is going to depreciate, so don't buy it as an investment if you're going to drive it. Buy it because it speaks to you or makes a statement about you. If you can afford it, and can afford the gas the 455 is going to eat large amounts of, GO FOR IT! Chances are if you keep it in good shape, don't put too many miles on it, and put some money into it with an eye towards resale (eg, don't buy those pimpin 24" rims and upholster the interior in pink velvet), you'll make back what you put into it.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Freedom Fighter

Sounds like a nice ride. Post some pics if you can or if you buy it.

I have ragtop, love it.
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
The New Guy

Some photos

Here are a few photos the owner sent me of the car. Seems to be dark green over tan or light green. Needs some rear quarter work from rust. A little faded here and there on the seats, but complete and has a 455!

I just realized..the seats are different!!! Which ones are stock? The back seat, seat back, looks to be a Pontiac with the speaker in the middle, and as for the front seat and back seat bottom...completely different! Wonder what they are out of? Let me know what you think about the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FH000011.jpg (30.9 KB, 72 views)
FH000010.jpg (52.9 KB, 62 views)
FH000012.jpg (26.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by theoldsmobilekid; June 5th, 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Look at the seats!
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM

NADA low retail is around $9373.00 I seen that car on craigslist before. If I didnt have 2 classics already I would buy that one. Save one from getting it's heart ripped out for a Cutlass. Good deal if your NOT going to drive it much and keep it sound. Oldsmobile only made the Delmont for 2 years (67 68) I'm a big car guy so I have to give it a thumbs up.
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM

Rear seat looks like the one in my Delmont 88 same color too! It's the correct pattern. The front one I dont know could of been redone at one point.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Freedom Fighter

Both appear to be stock for the car. either the front or back has been re-done. The direction of the pleats are different. Mine has both front and rear going forward/aft (pics show fronts sideways and rear forward).

Mine is 67 but should be same. Here is a pic.
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Check out the stiching pattern on the door skin, it goes 1 stich, 4 stich, center has Oldsmobile medal, then 4 stich, 1 stich. Thats the same pattern as the back seat only a square button was used in place of the Oldsmobile medal. That's the very same as my 68 Delmont 88. My front seat has the same pattern. And I know mine are original to my car. I also checked out a "Oldsmobile for 68" sales brochure and fould a picture of a convertible with the same stich pattern also, so I would safely say the rear seat is original stock. The front I dont know, FRDMFTR seat and door panels also match but are from a 67 Delta 88 and could of been a pattern available for that year. The 68 Delmont had 6 interiors that were available as options. That being said If you can see past the 2 seat patterns not matching then I would'nt worry too much about it and buy it and ENJOY it. You can always have the seat redone to match.

Last edited by FATRATMATT; June 17th, 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The New Guy

Thanks a lot! The guy gave me a call last week about it..must be having a hard time selling it. It does need some rear quarter panel work, but I do body work so no big deal. He never noticed the seats being different and the front power seat does not work so I guess it was replaced. Still do now know what its from. Thanks for the advice. I would never drive it daily, just a weekend cruiser. It would be garaged and spiffed up if I did buy it so getting my money back seems feasible. Still up in the air though since I found a '64 88 rag top. Who knows. Need to sell my old truck first. Thanks again.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Oldsdruid

The speaker grille is correct; all F/S Olds convertibles and some 2D HT used it. The door panels and rear seat are correct for Delmont ragtop per my 1968 color and fabric book. Can't help you on the front seat. It doesn't match any 1968 Olds stitch pattern in the book. Looks kinda like Buick, which would use the same seat frame and color choices.
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
The New Guy

Thanks for the help! Does look like a Buick seat now that you mention it. I told the owner and he had no idea..never noticed. Thanks again, but I settled for a '64 88 Convertible...if its still around in 1 week. Take care